SAU Community

Gtr R32 Transfer Case Clutch Slipping?

mattyg

Hey guys,

i have recently bled and changed the oil in the transfer case of my bnr32 and i have noticed the torque guage needle moves about a qauter of the way up the guage on full ecceleration in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and maybe 4th. im not sure if it used to move that easy in the higher gears before i changed the oil so im hoping its not slipping due to me not bleading it properly. its just a standard gtr so im not runing huge horse power. Is this normal or am a paranoid? cheers

Genuine Nissan fluid or nothing in a RB transfer case, other driveline parts a non-genuine fluid is fine but not for the transfer case. Jap tuners recommend genuine for a reason.

i have noticed the torque guage needle moves about a qauter of the way up the guage on full ecceleration in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and maybe 4th

2 possible explanations for this

1. Your tyres are mismatched (brand or tyre wear) causing the ATTESSA system to think the rear wheels are slipping.

2. Whatever fluid you put in there is screwing it up

I tried a Matic-D equivalent and wasn't impressed, but that was only after a hard track day.. make sure its bled properly..

but like Nismoid said the gauge only shows up what the computer is telling the hydraulics, not actually what your transfer is doing, so like Moodles pointed out its likely to be something else thats causing the computer to think it needs to feed more torque to the front .. don't know what else you've changed but to give you an example: I changed my TPS and unknowingly put the wrong one on, which had a couple of wires around the other way and was telling the computer that when I was siting there with no throttle that it was WOT so just taking off slowly or reversing out the driveway it would be max 4WD, took me a while to figure that out :no:

1. Your tyres are mismatched (brand or tyre wear) causing the ATTESSA system to think the rear wheels are slipping.

this is almost certainly the reason.

the fluid won't affect what torque the systems wants to send forward (although it could affect what does actually happen), so it won't change the gauge reading.

I have never used the nissan fluid in any road gtr or stagea I've had, or in the race car. I use generic ATF in the road cars and castrol transmax z in the race car and have had no issues

I use trans max z in my transfer cases as well with no issue ( except for the massive amounts of abuse it gets ), it's the ATTESSA I use the Nissan "special blend" oil in

when you say bled it what do you mean exactly and how did you go about it ?

was it doing it before you bleed the system ?

have you changed tyres lately ?

i have put two new toyo proxys on 500 ks ago. to bleed it i pulled out the bleeding plug under the drivers side dash. drained the transfer case out the bung. cracked the bleed nipple by the transfer case with the key on, the pump pled a constant line of oil out, stoped every 10 seconds to check the tank and top it up. kept pumping untill i was sure it had pushed all the old oil out. i never noticed the needle moveing under load in 3rd gear before. maybe i just thort it didnt when it actualy did move

i have put two new toyo proxys on 500 ks ago. to bleed it i pulled out the bleeding plug under the drivers side dash. drained the transfer case out the bung. cracked the bleed nipple by the transfer case with the key on, the pump bleed a constant line of oil out, stopped every 10 seconds to check the tank and top it up. kept pumping until i was sure it had pushed all the old oil out. i never noticed the needle moving under load in 3rd gear before. maybe i just thought it didn't when it actually did move

did your put them on the front by chance ?

but your bleeding sounds correct enough

• 4 weeks later...

Trans max Z Trans max Z Trans max Z.

Been using it for 5 yrs now no problems.

Rd car only no track work.

A less grippy tyre will give the transfer clutch more work to do.

As the system picks up on more rear tyre slippage and sends more torque to the front to compensate.

It sounds normal to me.

Edited by nobby

When people say blending the transfer case, I don't understand it, isn't it a simple matter of draining the fluid and topping it up via the bungs on the transfer case?

The reservoir in the boot is a different story and that will definetly need to be bled

And where in syd can I buy castrol tranzmax z ?

Thanks

Another user of Castrol Transmax Z here, no problems.

You should be able to get it at most places, Repco, Super cheap etc.

If i can by it in Kalgoorlie, you most definatly should find it in Sydney