SAU Community

Windows 8 Upgrade

Madaz

I wasn't really blown away by the RC of windows 8 but it was functional for the most part (i was concerned about not having MC with it but M$ have changed their minds possibly i couldnt confirm on the M$ website) Source

and it certainly was a bit snappier to load on a SSD, my thinking is for a $40 upgrade you cant really go wrong?

other peoples opinions?

seems there is only 2 versions also?

Windows 8 Pro

and

Windows 8 Pro Pack

that later having remote desktop stuff and something else that escapes me atm

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok deeper research shows Media Center does indeed NOT come with Windows 8 and is purchased as an addon pack

BUT for the time being it will be free

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

** Windows 8 Media Center Pack is available at no charge for a limited time only through this promotional page on Windows.com. If you obtain Windows 8 Media Center Pack through any other location fees might apply. Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to one product key per email address. You qualify for this promotion if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro....

Where do you go to access "device manager" on windows 8?

I usually just right click on my computers from the start menu & go from there, but they removed the whole thing...

So far it looks like I'll give this a miss for my main computer & mayble upgarde this on my ultrabook so I can get used to it.

Well my upgrade was hindered by windows 8 choosing another driver for my lifeview tv tuner and because lifeview didn't support 64bit I always had to force windows to not upgrade drivers and choose the chipset drivers, which always worked fine

Oh well will get something sorted

Interesting to see there are already 'fixes' for some of the changes in the interface, such as the Start menu, but everyone at work who has migrated over is about 90% in favour. I'll be migrating my sister's laptop on the weekend, fresh install since technically I'm upgrading her Dell from Vista.

We've had a ton of charities getting donated copies too. Sounds like Win8 is a good way to get more life out of old computers.

update: just pulled the TV tuner out of my pc to get model numbers off the chipset, a quick google and i have found the BDA drivers and im a happy camper again

i have a 120gb Sata3 ssd Ryan and from power on to using windows is about 30secs including POST

Well coming from windows 7 and no SSD (it took me using a friends computer to realise what I was missing out on) going to windows 8 and a vertex 4 I can finally say this is definitely a step in the right direction for microsoft. It will take some people a while to get the hang of it. Just a few helpful shortcuts for those that are new.

Press together when you're on the desktop.

• Windows Key + X = Brings up a text menu to access all the important (and usually relevant) features of windows
  • Windows Key + F = Brings up the search menu to find programs etc...
  • Windows Key + E = Brings up 'My Computer
  • Windows Key + C = Brings up Date/time + Side menu

Hope that helps some people get around a little easier ;)

Edited by Reflector

I've had a play with it. It's great for tablets/anything with a touch screen. But once you use it for typical office stuff and non touch devices - it's rather cumbersome... May grow on me. But at this point in time I'm not sold on it - unless I'm using a tablet.

over 98% of my use has been in desktop mode and nothing has changed for me in that view

my daughter on the other had has had a play with "Metro" and i think mum likes metro but haven't had the chance to speak to either of them in depth about it

with Start8 bar it boots me straight into desktop http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/