SAU Community

Import Monster Dec Deca Wrap Up

R31Nismoid

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ryan,

Apologies in advance for the following. I'm just offering up an idea which I think could save you a bit of time and effort (so don’t shoot me!!!!!)

I'm assuming that "data entry" is the reason why the results have taken so long to process. EG: the results are written on paper and need to be typed into spread sheets.

Why not enter the time(s) at the end of each run straight into a spread sheet?

It doesn’t strike me as much more effort than writing it down.

I understand that this means up to 3 laptops are required to work on 3 separate spread sheets, but merging the documents has got to be easier than re-entering the data. (Paper times could still act as a backup).

SAU VIC could then announce the results that night during the after DECA drinks, instead of people pestering you for results a month on.

This might not be the most elegant solution.. But its an idea..

- THIS DEC DECA WAS THE BEST YET BTW!

Cheers

I've fixed the macro but there's a few updates I need to do the results spreadsheet. It now needs to cater for more than 50 drivers (when I wrote the spreadsheet a few years ago we never had more than 50 drivers) and there's a number of rule changes which I need to write into the scoring macro as Ryan/Leon are having to do some manual changes now. My macro skills are pretty average so it takes me a while to figure it out, I'm an engineer not an IT person so I've just figured out how to write basic code myself.

Regarding data entry, I think it's still important to have the pen and paper for the records but you could also have 3 laptops with decent battery and MS Excel (about 3 hours for the morning session, charge during the break). I'd gladly bring my laptop up for DECA's but it's old and only lasts about 30minutes when I unplug it. Then it's just a case of copy/pasting to one master file, run the score macro and then do some quick sanity checks to make sure it's all correct.

I've fixed the macro but there's a few updates I need to do the results spreadsheet. It now needs to cater for more than 50 drivers (when I wrote the spreadsheet a few years ago we never had more than 50 drivers) and there's a number of rule changes which I need to write into the scoring macro as Ryan/Leon are having to do some manual changes now. My macro skills are pretty average so it takes me a while to figure it out, I'm an engineer not an IT person so I've just figured out how to write basic code myself.

Regarding data entry, I think it's still important to have the pen and paper for the records but you could also have 3 laptops with decent battery and MS Excel (about 3 hours for the morning session, charge during the break). I'd gladly bring my laptop up for DECA's but it's old and only lasts about 30minutes when I unplug it. Then it's just a case of copy/pasting to one master file, run the score macro and then do some quick sanity checks to make sure it's all correct.

Or cheapo Andriod tablets...

Or cheapo Andriod tablets...

Thats not a bad idea. Has SAUVIC got some $$$ in the Treasury/slush fund to maybe look towards Android acquisition?