SAU Community

Shit People Say When Trying To Reduce The Price Of Your Car

Paramour

Hey Hey All,

I'm selling my Stag and over the years selling other cars I am gobsmacked at the shit people say and do to try and get a price reduction, It infuriates me so much I'm keen to hear what other amazing shit others have listened to.

So far this year I have heard:

Geez there are a few nicks on the door - It's 10 years old mate if you want a new car buy a new car

The car has a slight squeak that will cost a grand to fix - on what planet!

Will you take half the asking price - Why yes of course I will and the other half on pick up

If I pay cash will you knock $5k off - No I wont

Can I do burnout to test the power - Umm No, but good luck it's 4WD

It's a shame the leather isnt brand new - Car is 10 years old what did you expect

It doesnt have the Japanese Sat nav - Well we are in Sydney and I know where I am going

It's got so much more lag than a Legnum - Buy a legnum then

Will you sell me the roof racks, cargo blind and cargo net as I like another stagea that doesnt have them - Yes I will $14,500 the lot. .

So tell me what you have heard. .

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though both were clearly printed in the Trading Post ad for my 180B SSS;

"Errr, I don't like the colour" (A $4000 Gunmetal Grey paintjob) Well don't buy it. "So you won't reduce the price?" No.

"Errr, I didn't know it had a Rollcage" Well, I told you over the phone when you specifically asked about it.

"Will you take it out?" Well, it's a 6 point CrMo weld in cage, so; no.

"Errr it's a bit noisy" Well that's because it has a 2.4 litre stoker L20 motor in it. "You mean it's modified? I wanted to buy a stock one". Get out. Now.

When i sold my sigma GSR/starion engine which it had,all i got was "if u take the stereo out and other parts will u drop the price".

But my favourite is"umm,ive seen these go for like $3000 and you want $7000"Well ive spent alone $10000 in parts and all that,so why u looking at mine if you found ones more then half the amount less then mine.

On the same car, "Can my mate take it for a drive for a couple of hours (without you); that way we can work out if it's any good?"

For sure; pay full price, and you never have to bring it back. Maybe you'd like my credit cards too?

Dickheads. :rolleyes:

Edited by Daleo

Or an ET Turbo Pulsar I was selling;

"Will you just sell me the turbo?" Yep; $8000, comes with a car wrapped around it.

"But I don't want the car, just the turbo" Well maybe you should looking in the "wrecking" section, not the "Cars for sale" section...

"You're a dickhead mate!" Yes, yes; I'm the dickhead....

Dickheads...

Edited by Daleo

Sight unseen on the Pulsar;

"I'll give you 2 grand for it" - Well, it's advertised for $8000 and you haven't even looked at it, so I'm going with no.

"2 grand CASH" - Oh well that changes everything; yeah, definitely and I'll throw in my new Commodore Ute too!

"Really?" No dickhead.

Dickheads.

Bikes, however; are another matter.

Every bike I've sold, has been to the first person to look, and for the price I've asked.

Usually on the first day.

Bikes, however; are another matter.

Every bike I've sold, has been to the first person to look, and for the price I've asked.

I wish I was that lucky. Trying to sell my bike right now. Already tge cheapest on tge market with tge lowest ks and in good condition. First dicks head to call goes ill give you half what your asking. Good one dicks head no

Usually on the first day.

Just do what I do....start raising the price with every stupid comment.

They will soon get the idea.....just let em know straight up that you don't deal.

Unless BJs are involved..........

Lol!

Some great ones in there Dale.

The thing that shits me the most these days is that people don't even bother to call you to organise to come & even look at the car - they'll just send a text with a ridiculous lowball offer in the hope that you're a desperate heroin addict willing to throw the car away for next to nothing

lol, i sell cars for a living, i could fill this thread.

could also fill it with awesome retorts i have stored in my head for quick fire response....love my job :P

the best part which you dont get to play with on the private market is dealing with peoples tradein values. always fun to be had there.

i have recently had a customer give me his price needed to trade in his vehicle, then proceeded to watch me silently search his car for a few minuets,then asked me what are you doing? i replied im just looking for the other ford focus hidden in this one that i wasnt seeing.... he didnt laugh....i did.

lol, i sell cars for a living, i could fill this thread.

could also fill it with awesome retorts i have stored in my head for quick fire response....love my job :P

the best part which you dont get to play with on the private market is dealing with peoples tradein values. always fun to be had there.

i have recently had a customer give me his price needed to trade in his vehicle, then proceeded to watch me silently search his car for a few minuets,then asked me what are you doing? i replied im just looking for the other ford focus hidden in this one that i wasnt seeing.... he didnt laugh....i did.

I never understand why people trade stuff in, they always get ripped massively when if they just sold there car privately they would prob get almost double what a dealer offered them.

I dont know why people also think paying cash is going to change anything, bank cheque or cash its the same thing, doesnt change the price of the car.

I had one dickhead look at my 32, told me it wasn't as clean as he thought it would be blah blah blah, offered me 5k or a swap for his hr31 passage which funnily enough he had advertsied for 8k.

I think the biggest mistake people make is advertising cars on forums, every low ball offer I've had selling stuff generally comes from forum members.

Just do what I do....start raising the price with every stupid comment.

They will soon get the idea.....just let em know straight up that you don't deal.

Im changing the price now Craig, if it works I owe you a slab of beer. .

What a great laugh reading this thread, I thought I was the only one that cracked the shits!

The R33 I owned and sold:

People called up constantly querying; what's it do 1/4 mile? how many kw does it pull on the dyno? can it out run a gtr? does it lose traction easily?

The Stagea I am currently selling:

I noticed you have an aftermarket stereo in it, do you still have the factory japanese stereo to supply with the sale?

I am looking at upgrading to a bigger family wagon as I need the space but I want it to be economical with fuel? go buy a friggin getz!

Many many more, could sit here the whole night trying to remember all the sillies....