SAU Community

Nitto Oil Pump Users

not completely true. Its different to air.

Pressure IS pressure, it dont matter if your pump flows 8KL at redline if you have a certain size restriction, with same oil, and same pressure, the flow will be identical. The only time flow of pump counts is at idle when relief valve is shut. If both are set to certain pressure both will move the exact same at full revs.

Having one at 75 and one at 70 psi the higher pressure does mean more oil flow, through pressure, not pump capacity. If this makes sense

Well said.

Lets ignore the case when the pressure relief is seated because that is at low rpm where no one really cares and it complicates the explanation.

The point is if there are two pumps with different sized rotors etc and similar pressure relief arrangements they will flow the same amount through the same motor given the pressure relief measurement is the same.

Oil pressure is a measure of how hard it is to pump oil through a system. It is not a pump property.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not completely true. Its different to air.

They are still both fluids, so the principles are the same. I was only refering to the pump itself, not the whole system...so it was a just a bad analogy on my behalf ;)

Pressure IS pressure, it dont matter if your pump flows 8KL at redline if you have a certain size restriction, with same oil, and same pressure, the flow will be identical. The only time flow of pump counts is at idle when relief valve is shut. If both are set to certain pressure both will move the exact same at full revs.

Having one at 75 and one at 70 psi the higher pressure does mean more oil flow, through pressure, not pump capacity. If this makes sense

This is correct and why i was asking about the upper operational pressure of the oem pump...if it's running at 120psi at 8000rpm, why can't you run the nitto at 120psi?

Edited by wedge_r34gtr

This is correct and why i was asking about the upper operational pressure of the oem pump...if it's running at 120psi at 8000rpm, why can't you run the nitto at 120psi?

120PSI at 8000 is a little different to 120psi at IDLE. High pressure isnt uncommon with these so im not sure why this is still being discussed to be honest! The only issue with such high pressue is blow through on the turbo and filling the head with oil however if all the necessary things have been done during the build then no issues...

Does a stock one push 120? If it did, it would be exacly the same as a nitto or tomei with the same pressure. That much pressure is excessive regardless. Might not 'hurt' anything in the short run, but you dont need that much pressue

120PSI at 8000 is a little different to 120psi at IDLE. High pressure isnt uncommon with these so im not sure why this is still being discussed to be honest! The only issue with such high pressue is blow through on the turbo and filling the head with oil however if all the necessary things have been done during the build then no issues...

No pump will do that anyway

Does a stock one push 120? If it did, it would be exacly the same as a nitto or tomei with the same pressure. That much pressure is excessive regardless. Might not 'hurt' anything in the short run, but you dont need that much pressue

no stock wont push that much pressure but i have heard N1's doing this kind of pressure on idle and blowing oil straight out the turbo. Giving this is a built motor you would assume that necessary breather/catchcan setup has been made and even a drain from the head? i dont really see an issue if its setup right from the start

can always reduce oil flow to the turbo also

no stock wont push that much pressure but i have heard N1's doing this kind of pressure on idle and blowing oil straight out the turbo. Giving this is a built motor you would assume that necessary breather/catchcan setup has been made and even a drain from the head? i dont really see an issue if its setup right from the start

yeah...i think we can continue the discussion with engines that are built correctly in mind...

*sigh*

Pressure is restrciction to flow.

Think about a garden hose with no end on it, water runs out. Put your finger over the end (i.e make a restriction) and the water shoots out at a higher pressure

More pressure often equals less flow, but its not that simple as in they are not directly proportional (from memory). But at no flow you would hit the pumps relief setting so you would get maximum pressure at minimum/no flow

so if i have a pump running 80psi, then up the pressure to 120 i will have less oil in the head ? i think common sense would say the opposite. op the more pressure u have the more pressure u have with held in the system, and the more oil will be in the head. just like u said.

correct this is a built motor and will be running a catchcan to sump, breathers, and also a crack case vent to top of catchcan, engine had mods done to the oil returns that have been enlarge, also when the motor was been built with the nitto pump, engine builder was worry about the 120psi (he said its fine if its a drag car revving its tits off) anyways its set atm with 1 spring and 1 shim he said with the clearances and the oil he told me to use i will be seeing around 80 85psi, he also recommand the high volume sump (which im getting) coz it will suck the standard one dry...

(also gotten the same response from two different engine builders today about the high 120psi) infact one told me to remove 1 spring and to put 2 shims in to give me a total of around 80psi....

anyways the higher pressure more oil, fitting restritors to turbo isnt a worry i already know this would be need with a high pressure pump,

only thing i was trying to sort out was if i had a tomei pump on 75psi a nitto pump on 75psi would the oil flow be the same? as i think the nitto gearing is bigger then a tomei pump (could be other way around) wouldnt the nitto pump supply more oil flow at the same psi?

so if i have a pump running 80psi, then up the pressure to 120 i will have less oil in the head ? i think common sense would say the opposite. op the more pressure u have the more pressure u have with held in the system, and the more oil will be in the head. just like u said.

The restrictors have two main purposes: Keeping oil pressure in the block and preventing to much oil getting in the head

What I'm reading into your post there is you want to change the pump relief pressure from 80 to 120psi. This will not mean less oil in the head. You are not changing the restriction but rather exchanging how much pressure the oil will pump. So you still have (for example) a 2mm hole to feed oil into, but instead of only supplying enough oil to hit 80psi, the pump is supplying enough oil to hit 120psi. Therefore there is more oil displaced from the pump before it is hitting relief.

You need flow to move oil, you need flow + restriction to create pressure, pressure and flow will increase proportionally if the restriction is not changed.

Change the restriction however to a 1mm hole then you should hit 120psi with less oil being displaced

only thing i was trying to sort out was if i had a tomei pump on 75psi a nitto pump on 75psi would the oil flow be the same? as i think the nitto gearing is bigger then a tomei pump (could be other way around) wouldnt the nitto pump supply more oil flow at the same psi?

Will be exactly the same. Tomei has bigger gearset I believe

• 2 weeks later...

Rob from rips in newzealand Does not use any oil squirters in any of they rb30/25 26 engine combos no matter if its street use or drag

Yeah, because there are no oil squirters to use in the first place...

Engine builder has told me to use penrite running in oil, do about an hours worth of driving not boosting it keeping eye on oil levels, drop the oil, fill again with same running in oil, another hours worth of driving, drop oil and put in hpr30, what's the thoughts of this?

I thought synth, but he told me not to use synth oil or the motor will go bang, not to use synth oil with the acl h series bearings, my clearances are 2.3tho

Engine builder has told me to use penrite running in oil, do about an hours worth of driving not boosting it keeping eye on oil levels, drop the oil, fill again with same running in oil, another hours worth of driving, drop oil and put in hpr30, what's the thoughts of this?

I thought synth, but he told me not to use synth oil or the motor will go bang, not to use synth oil with the acl h series bearings, my clearances are 2.3tho

Use penrite for running in.

This is how i ran my engine in as advised by my builder:

In your garage start the engine - don't let it idle and vary the engine rpm between 3-4000rpm (small amounts of boost are alright...say <3psi) for about 15-20mins or until fully warmed up. inspect for leaks excessive blow by etc during this period

Shut off. drop oil and inspect for issues. Drop filter - cut open and inspect for metal. Refill with penrite & replace filter - go out and do an hour or so worth of driving keeping off boost and varying load (using 1st, 3rd and 5th to drive around is a good idea) If possible, have someone doing some rough road tuning on your ecu. Drop oil and filter and re-inspect. Drive to tuners if no problems.

Edited by wedge_r34gtr

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the purpose of your question? Crank collars are all the same about 43.7mm diameter or 40.7mm at the flats and all oil pumps for RBs are made to suit.

My question is, and albeit i have looked and googled and contacted nitto with no success. What is the clearance tolerance for the nitto oil pump to the collar.