SAU Community

Smash Repair Stole My Tyres!

Steely

I posted this on whirlpool yesterday, thought I'd share here too, (orig thread here http://forums.whirlp...s.cfm?t=2036673 )

My car was recently returned to me after a month in the smash repair shop being repaired for a minor rear-ender.

I should have noticed earlier, but last thursday when my mechanic pulled the rear wheels off to check some things we discovered that both rear tyres were

completely bald and showed definate signs of being used to do burnouts (note the dark line where the tyre would have deformed slightly while

spinning at high speed and become the highest point on the tyre, it also looks a little melted and burned, see image here http://i.imgur.com/Pzn7T.jpg sorry it's 2MB, but I'm going for detail ).

This tyre is 14 months old, and I have never broken traction when driving the car myself.

It's parked in secure parking with the kill switch and alarm on during the day, and about 4 metres from my room at night with the alarm and kill switch on, I have the only key and alarm fob.

The car has only been out of my sight in the month that it was in being repaired, and just as a comparison, my front tyres are nearly 2 years old and have 4 / 5 mm of tread left, they look practically new.

I have emailed the repairer to let them know of my concern and to ask if they will do anything about this, but they haven't replied (I want everything in writing), so I turn to you chaps, is there anything I can do about this?, a stat dec perhaps and a letter from a lawyer, is there an ombudsman for this kind of thing?

whim me if you'd like the name of the "business" so you can avoid it, it's in the southern suburbs of Sydney.

The above was my first post on whirlpool, have since discovered that what has actually happened is that they've replaced my 14 month old dunlops with a set of falkens (pictured)

Repairer got back to me last night and basically said I was lying and he wanted an apology, I told him there is no doubt about what has happened, and he's going to call me next week when he's back from holidays, hopefully it can be sorted out without taking it further.

Will keep this updated!

Steely

Yep, agree with both of you, it'll be the newest apprentice, and the're probably on his fooly sik commo Bro!

I'll go sniffing around next week if I can get some time off, they're still on holidays at the moment.

Bastards

Call next week = stalling for time me thinks or is the whole shop shut?

Isn't there some sort of report on when the car went in to be repaired.

Did anyone inspect the car at all or was this a cash job and not through insurance?

Yeah, the whole place is shut, their phone in in holiday mode.

There is a report, but I don't actually have it, and I'd imagine if it says what I know it says (if the tyres were noted at all), that paperwork will disappear.

It was inspected, I have that report, but it only mentions the damage and parts needed.

Your mechanic is your friend. If there IS definite proof get your mechanic to write a letter with an itemised list of telltale signs like powdered vaporised rubber on undercarriage (if you haven't already washed it off), worn tyres with macro shots etc.

You yourself could ask neighbouring business owners if they see any apprentice fanging cars from the panelbeating workshop next door and particularly with a pic of your car. Wipe some powdered rubber with a finger and take a macro shot of wiped surface + your black powdered finger juxtaposed. A macro shot of feathering or shredding or rippling on the tyre is good.

> Fair Trading

One of my former cars was taken to a panelbeater and finished up with bent valves.

> Fair Trading

But hey! What are you claiming for? Just a set of tyres? Or is it the principle of the thing? Is it worth a day off from wk? In the case of the blown engine above - it definitely is! In your case, will it be just a Phyrric victory? Umm; maybe 'rattling the sabre' will work to get you a new set of tyres if the panelbeater doesn't want to go to Fair Trading eh? At least, present him with the evidence - yours, the mechanic's and the pics. The worst he could say is GTFO...

This is f**king digusting I cant believe this still happens in this day and age.. where has peoples respect gone for other property? I used to be very.. VERY paranoid about this.. since not owning anything but a lemon daily for the last few months.. The paranoia eased and I hadnt thought of it too much/ had told my self no one would be silly enough to do that.. nonetheless after reading through this and the whirlpool thread whenever I take my car to get any work done (hoping ill be taking it to pulse racing who seem very professional) however if it has to go anywhere for any repairs or anything like that I'll be taking 20 photos from every angle, noting the kilometres and most likely even installing a camera/ audio somewhere in there stream straight to my phone or pc :D saving every single minute. A little extreme but stuff that, hard earned money then having some shit flamin mongrel low life (not all smashies are) getting kicks out of thrashing MY car, im really annoyed for you man honestly, so low if I wanted to f**k my driveline and tyres I would, why should someone else be.. hope it all works out for you just really push for it

Edited by GTR_77

That's exactly how I feel GTR_77, I know that I treat the car well, always warmed up and down, regular service, I rarely rev it over 4 grand, it's treated like a lady, but now I feel like it's been given a hammering that has put a couple of years wear on it at least, and not the good kind of wear either.

Still waiting to hear back from them, will be contacting fair trading about it on Friday if nothing has been said.

@ Terry, thanks for the advice, and it really is a principle thing, I trusted them with the car and they kinda raped it, it'll never be a known quantity again, every little squeak and rattle now has me thinking "was that there before it got repaired?"

In the end, I'm down $500 for a new set of tyres, and I don't feel i "know" the car anymore, whereas previously I knew exactly how it had been driven and treated, it's not a good feeling.

This is f**king digusting I cant believe this still happens in this day and age.. where has peoples respect gone for other property? I used to be very.. VERY paranoid about this.. since not owning anything but a lemon daily for the last few months.. The paranoia eased and I hadnt thought of it too much/ had told my self no one would be silly enough to do that.. nonetheless after reading through this and the whirlpool thread whenever I take my car to get any work done (hoping ill be taking it to pulse racing who seem very professional) however if it has to go anywhere for any repairs or anything like that I'll be taking 20 photos from every angle, noting the kilometres and most likely even installing a camera/ audio somewhere in there stream straight to my phone or pc :D saving every single minute. A little extreme but stuff that, hard earned money then having some shit flamin mongrel low life (not all smashies are) getting kicks out of thrashing MY car, im really annoyed for you man honestly, so low if I wanted to f**k my driveline and tyres I would, why should someone else be.. hope it all works out for you just really push for it

Hey Bill. I agree! Sorry your having to go through this Neil.

I'm a mechanic by trade. Worked in dearlerships & smaller workshops for 10+ years. The things I saw in dealerships would make people cringe! I am out of the car game now, but still on the tools. I use to do everything myself, my own tyres, wheel alignments, regos EVERTHING! Nowadays, the only thing I get done are tyres & wheel alignments. I make sure I have all day to wait & watch. I trust no one when it comes to my car! This pisses repairers off, but when I flash my trade card & tell them I've run workshops & been a GM roadtester, they change their tune alittle.

Usually the small workshops are the go. Find one run by an older bloke with mature age techs. Usually their days of thrashing customers cars are over.