SAU Community

Power To Expect From These Mods?

ZRBE

Okay about a month ago I bought a 93 r32 gtst type m..

Mods are:

T04e high mount

FMIC

Yellow jacket coil packs

550cc injectors

Walboro in tank fuel pump

Tial waste gate w/screamer

HKS bov (will be putting stock BOV plumbed back shortly)

Mines ECU

Adjustable coilovers

Just want an estimate of kw from the wheels ill be getting? Only a rough estimate obviously. AFTER A TUNE!

Edited by Zrobe

OK, so the power will be limited by one of three things.

1) The turbo.

2) The injectors.

3) The ECU.

Start with the easy one. Your Mines ECU was a waste of money. It can't be tuned (if the EEPROM has been glued in). If the chip isn't glued in, at least you can convert it to Nistune. But then you can do that with a standard ECU anyway. (And, yes, I assume the Mines ECU was already in there when you bought it and therefore it's not your doing, but nevertheless). Worse, the Mines ECU is not well suited to running in Australia. Intended to run on Japanese 100 octane and tend to be fairly over-advanced. Can ping an engine to death pretty quickly in the wrong circumstances.

The injectors will do no more than 300rwkW, give or take a bit. But that it plenty, and probably a lot more than you'll get out of a TO4e on an RB20 anyway.

I suggest you scan through the RB20 dyno thread and see whether someone else has posted up some results with that engine/turbo combo. The rest of the mod list really doesn't matter except to determine whether the fuel and ignition and so on are good enough for the power level.

OK, so the power will be limited by one of three things.

1) The turbo.

2) The injectors.

3) The ECU.

Start with the easy one. Your Mines ECU was a waste of money. It can't be tuned (if the EEPROM has been glued in). If the chip isn't glued in, at least you can convert it to Nistune. But then you can do that with a standard ECU anyway. (And, yes, I assume the Mines ECU was already in there when you bought it and therefore it's not your doing, but nevertheless). Worse, the Mines ECU is not well suited to running in Australia. Intended to run on Japanese 100 octane and tend to be fairly over-advanced. Can ping an engine to death pretty quickly in the wrong circumstances.

The injectors will do no more than 300rwkW, give or take a bit. But that it plenty, and probably a lot more than you'll get out of a TO4e on an RB20 anyway.

I suggest you scan through the RB20 dyno thread and see whether someone else has posted up some results with that engine/turbo combo. The rest of the mod list really doesn't matter except to determine whether the fuel and ignition and so on are good enough for the power level.

Mines ECU wasn't glued I had a new chip put in. Yeah bit of lag with that turbo haha.. As long as I'm over about 250 260rwkw ill be stoked.

Depending on what spec T04e it actually is - will depend if you'll get there.

There was something like 30 variants, as they are from the 1970s... So lots of wheels/housing combo's around. I think you'll be struggling to get 260rwkw, and it'll be laggy.

Depending on what spec T04e it actually is - will depend if you'll get there.

There was something like 30 variants, as they are from the 1970s... So lots of wheels/housing combo's around. I think you'll be struggling to get 260rwkw, and it'll be laggy.

Yeah I wouldn't have a single clue to what spec it is.. Kicks in at around 3600

I suggest getting rid of the turbo and getting one suited for the 2L motor, then get a nistune or an aftermarket ECU as the mine ECU won't be tunable and will probably ping/do all sorts of weird shit as soon as you start putting any decent boost into it, could even pop the motor if it is highly advanced.

I had a mines ECU in a car I bought about 5 years back, the previous owner had retarded the base timing back as far as it went just to stop it pinging, it also ran so rich that it went off the AFR scale when on full load, below 9:1, basically they are just crap and not suited in anyway for what you have.

there are a thousand T04E variants as stated. not all are bad and plenty of people have had them work without a drama. kicking in at 3600 is fine if thats when it starts to pull hard id be happy.

find out what T04E it is and go from there. hopefully its one of the common ones.

I recommend changing the ECU for a nistune at minimum and you will probably be limited by injectors before anything else.

I suggest getting rid of the turbo and getting one suited for the 2L motor, then get a nistune or an aftermarket ECU as the mine ECU won't be tunable and will probably ping/do all sorts of weird shit as soon as you start putting any decent boost into it, could even pop the motor if it is highly advanced.

I had a mines ECU in a car I bought about 5 years back, the previous owner had retarded the base timing back as far as it went just to stop it pinging, it also ran so rich that it went off the AFR scale when on full load, below 9:1, basically they are just crap and not suited in anyway for what you have.

My tuner said it will be tuned to whatever is in the tank.. i said i didnt think that was possible.. Anyway I'm over talking about my ECU, if my tuner has lied well.. I ain't going back...

there are a thousand T04E variants as stated. not all are bad and plenty of people have had them work without a drama. kicking in at 3600 is fine if thats when it starts to pull hard id be happy.

find out what T04E it is and go from there. hopefully its one of the common ones.

I recommend changing the ECU for a nistune at minimum and you will probably be limited by injectors before anything else.

Lol, is there a way by found out what variant is it WITHOUT pulling it apart? Probably a stupid question but I'm here to learn..

No factory ECU can tune/trim the fuel on the run, which is what he said he has been told... Or perhaps it was bad describing on his behalf.

What about the chip he put in? Can that make a difference to the pinging.. This is f**ked lol

People need to start reading ALL the posts.

OP says Mines ECU chip is not glued in and in fact another chip has been put in there. Therefore it is possible to tune that ECU, either by the shitful 90s method of burning EEPROMS, or by putting in a Nistune board.

/ ECU problem

Turbo still an open issue.

Yeah and read the subsqeuent one where he states it will adjust to whatever fuel is in the tank - that is simply untrue (and this is the part we are talking about).

What about the chip he put in? Can that make a difference to the pinging.. This is f**ked lol

It is a SINGLE tune option. You set it for say 98 octane - it is set for good.

Your current setup does not...

1. Adjust when there is detonation

2. Adjust for other fuel types in the tank

3. Adjust for changes to boost levels

It is a SINGLE tune option. You set it for say 98 octane - it is set for good.

Your current setup does not...

1. Adjust when there is detonation

2. Adjust for other fuel types in the tank

3. Adjust for changes to boost levels

Well I've spoken to him again.. He said its no lie? I'm going to get him explain to me properly how he did it.. I'm only taking his word for it and is a family friend.. So I don't see any point in him lying. I'm just going to punch him in the head if my car pings out lol

Yeah and read the subsqeuent one where he states it will adjust to whatever fuel is in the tank - that is simply untrue (and this is the part we are talking about).

No, you see, I read that as meaning he will tune it to whatever is in the tank. Which is kind of what you have to do, no?