SAU Community

Stolen R33 Deer Park[Found/update!]

J101

Hi guys I made a thread about my silver 95' R33 getting stolen back in September. The car has been recovered from keilor I got a call from the police last tuesday saying it's located at a wreckers in deer park.

Just getting back from holiday I was estatic great start to 2013 unfortunately the car has been involved in a front on collision with a pole and the vin number had been scraped off etc, The engine number is how they found out it was my car. Now the problem is when I talked to the wreckers the guy told me its been there since November and wants $2,200 to release it, Has anyone heard of something like this before? When I reported it stolen and talked to the police I told them not to tow and to inform me/I would arrange it myself.

I'm just wondering what my options are now, Anyone able to give me some advice? 2,200 is a total joke I don't think the car itself is worth that now in the condition its in.

Thanks,

PS: To anyone thats had their skyline stolen its worth calling some wreckers cause you never know.

It is called handling stolen goods, ask him to release the vehicle or the Police will be involved to get it for you. I bet the Police will be very interested in how said wrecker obtained the vehicle and from who in the first place?

When i had my skyline stolen, they took it to the keilor downs police station and i had to get it towed from there organised it myself

Why is it at a wreakers in the first place?

guessing this was dumped after accident and the council had it towed.

seems surprising that it took 3 months to track back as stolen tho.

be curious to know if they had started parting it out.

have you at least looked at it?

Yerh I don't know how the car ended up in their possession in the first place, The whole thing seems very suspect apparently they haven't parted it out.

I haven't had a chance to get down there yet, I'm going tomorrow morning the car is still mine I had owned the car for 2weeks when it got stolen and was in the process of getting insurance, In hindsight shoulda got on it asap

But yerh i'll let you guys know what goes down, I'll have a chat with them and talk to the police there's no way i'm paying them 2200 for a car I own. For all I know they are the ones that stole it and are now trying to extort me

Finally got to suss out the car and it turns out that 2k is legit police say its for the costs of towing/storage. Dunno if its even worth paying to release I can't afford to fix it up any ideas on how much I could get it if I part it out/sell as a whole? Engine/Gearbox etc are all in decent nick

373908_10200526147859054_2070759019_n.jpg379266_10200526148139061_1461053037_n.jpg14974_10200526148419068_1906785886_n.jpg215999_10200526148619073_2123428114_n.jpg

$2000 is a load of crap!! It costs $75 to transport a car from one side of Melbourne to the other.

Storage? $1900 over a few weeks, wow, I need to buy a wreckers just to rent out some space!

I hope for your sake there's somewhere you can go to fight it because it's a load of crap in my mind.

Don't just dessert it, fight for it!

What a load of s**t

So your car gets stolen, somehow makes its way to the wreckers and now you need to pay $2k to get it back?

Is it insured or not?

If insured, call up your insurance company for advice

If not insured its still your property isn't it?

Some one here will know the answer,otherwise seek advice

It was not insured according to Post #8... So they won't help him...

I wouldn't pay $2k for storage, that's ridiculous... You didn't ask for it to be towed there...

Did you call the police when it was stolen?

Also get the police report from when they found the car crashed and abandoned, I don't understand why they would not have contacted you or the previous owner as soon as it was found to get you to come down and pick it up....

Finally got to suss out the car and it turns out that 2k is legit police say its for the costs of towing/storage. Dunno if its even worth paying to release I can't afford to fix it up any ideas on how much I could get it if I part it out/sell as a whole? Engine/Gearbox etc are all in decent nick

Engine and gearbox alone is worth around 2k but the time and effect to remove it and selling it :/

I would try fight it so u dont have to pay.

If nothing its completely up to u if u feel like parting it out to make ur 2k back and + abit of money on top.

Or just leave it there

Edited by Johnie

Find out how it got there in the first place:

1. If car was found by police, why weren't you contacted?

2. If the person who stole it sold it to them, why didn't they do a VSR check? Surely not just anybody can go to the wreckers in someone else's car to sell without the appropriate checks done.

I sold my old ford laser to the wreckers for a couple of hundred bucks, drove it in... sold it to them and walked out with some cash and the plates 10 mins later... It was up to me to cancel the rego etc

Okay there's still some confusion here's the full story

>September car gets stolen I report it to the police no insurance

> November apparently car gets found and brought to spot on panels in deer park I hear nothing/police clear it and run fingerprint check.

>Tuesday 22nd January Police call me saying my car has been found and is at spot on panels

>Spot on panels claim they informed police right away and is not at fault for the delay and demand 2k for towing/storing.

Now I just need to know what I can do from here legally because I find the whole situation ridiculous and next to extortion to have to pay 2k to get a car back I own and did not ask to have stored/towed.

Edited by J101

So I see, seems as though the police where slack

Shouldn't it have been towed to a police depo for fingerprinting? That's where my car went

My car was stolen a few months ago. Once it was found it was cleared with the police for fingerprints and released within 2 weeks. And this was over the Christmas New years break as well.

Speak to the officer in charge handling your case and explain your situation. Get them to release the car. No way should you be paying to get your car back