SAU Community

Hicas Light

ZRBE

Okay so my HICAS light came on driving to suspension shop the other day... :(

Anything to worry about?

I'm not mechanically minded as I'd like to be so I'm not going to try the DIY lockbar myself just yet..

Just wondering if it can fail and kill me? :)(probably a stupid question considering its for my steering..) cheers.

My HICAS light goes on seeming randomly, sometimes I can drive for ~440km (Perth to Albany) without it coming on the other times it will come on after about 20 minutes on the freeway... in anycase nothing else seem to happen when it does come on.

Eitherway I suspect mine was due to the sensor on the steering wheel not working since it has an aftermarket steering wheel.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

My HICAS light goes on seeming randomly, sometimes I can drive for ~440km (Perth to Albany) without it coming on the other times it will come on after about 20 minutes on the freeway... in anycase nothing else seem to happen when it does come on.

Eitherway I suspect mine was due to the sensor on the steering wheel not working since it has an aftermarket steering wheel.

okay guys cheers for your help... my fluid levels were fine so i'm buying that tomei hicas lock bar

Hey mate, I had an issue with hicas on my s1 33, ended up borrowing a hicas computer from a wrecker to test and turns out that's all it was. $100 dollar fix. My symptoms were, randomly the light would turn on but found the steering became stiff at the same time (almost not power assisted at all). Switch it off then on again and it was sorted for the next few days. As always, check your fuses and relays tho.

Hey mate, I had an issue with hicas on my s1 33, ended up borrowing a hicas computer from a wrecker to test and turns out that's all it was. $100 dollar fix. My symptoms were, randomly the light would turn on but found the steering became stiff at the same time (almost not power assisted at all). Switch it off then on again and it was sorted for the next few days. As always, check your fuses and relays tho.

So i just went to check the HICAS system at the rear under the car so i could start ripping it out.. and i already have a lock bar... LOL :D

so yeah i'll either try get rid of this light the legit way, or just rip the globe out.. :)

there is aftermarket steering wheels with a boss kit that will still enable you to run the HICAS if you wanted to

I have the same issue with my 32R. I have changed the HICAS computer.. might replace it with another one. I can also hear clicking in the boot when it happens (relay or something), passenger side in the guard somewhere. It's definitely electrical/grounding related as when I replaced the terminals at the battery, the issue went away for a week.

Yeah, must have a good earth. I get called out to so many cars that end up being bad earths and/or low battery voltage, it sends most cars ecu's haywire. (Or like this post, having issues with hicas and finding its already been deleted!!! LOL)

Also, relays get forgotten about a lot. At the end of the day, they are just a switch with a coil winding inside, they are bound to give up the ghost at some stage.

Edited by Aazzy