SAU Community

Pullup Progress And Improvement Thread.

rev210

The guy at my gym said chinups are much easier and work more of your biceps. He suggested I start with chinups, then go negative rep pullups and work up to a straight leg unassisted pullup which he said is more lat work.

The guy at my gym said chinups are much easier and work more of your biceps. He suggested I start with chinups, then go negative rep pullups and work up to a straight leg unassisted pullup which he said is more lat work.

They are easier.

His advice is wrong.

Partials of the pullup (at the top of the range) combined with negatives are where you should try and start. Most people can't do a single pullup. I gave my son this version of beginers the other day. He couldn't do a single. He can do 5 full now within a short period of time.

So how many chin ups can you do Rev? I'm guessing 30+ if you can do mid 20s pull ups and chins are easier?

No idea. I don't do them. I can tell you that there is far less correlation than that article will lead you to believe. It is very common for people to be able to do 10 chins and 0 pullups.

but I take this slowly as it comes at the end of my routine and my forearms/elbows are usually fatigued by then and I've strained them once or twice.

Any that's my two cents.

The locked postion of chinups can give you some injuries in the forearms elbows. Moreso than pullups.

Is there a consensus about one being easier or something? I've always preferred having a supinated grip as it's easier on my wrists.

It's setup that will determine the angle of stress in the arms and shoulders. When doing a pullup, you want to look upward on the way up till just before the top. This will help tilt the body into a better postion. The chinup is more challenging on the elbows as this technique has little effect. Higher engagement of the bicep means the elbows are set to take up the fulcrum loads, you really only have the width to play with.

To be fair here, any of Leesh's attempts at pullups or chinups have been done straight after her volume training on lat pulldown...which she does at close to bodyweight...so I think fresh off the bat she'd be able to knock out a few reps of pullups.

• 2 weeks later...

I started doing negatives of chinups today and then did my assisted pullups - I can get half of a regular chinup out now! Cut the assistance weight in half, though chins/pullups are a movement i'd also not done much of until lately, in favour of lat pulldowns.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated for a while, but I'm now

(5 minute rest)

I find this exercise interesting, because it's the only exercise I do where I shoot for maximum resistance straight up, without a warm up. I guess this is because of the static resistance level, but I sometimes contemplate whether I should do a few reps as a warm up and then go hard, or keep doing what I'm doing.

Either way it's been working, as I've been able to up the reps in the first set by 1 each week. This should theoretically bring the reps of the second set up with it, and so on, as my muscles adapt to higher numbers and follow up sets stay relative. Same way 1RM training increases volume, I guess. So the important thing here, is being able to get that "1 set max" up. 20+ would be a nice place to be, for the short term. Maybe then I'll look at weighted pullups.