SAU Community

Pullup Progress And Improvement Thread.

rev210

Hey guys, ive been training for a year and can only manage 5 i would love to do sets of 20

I think Rev said to do partials in the upper range of the movement?

Would this be the best start? Im 107kg

Upper range is definitely the hardest part of the movement when things get tired, so probably good to target that segment of motion.

Lat pulldowns and weighted pullups can help this movement a great deal.

Other than that, just try going to the maximum each time. Even if you feel you can't get a 6th, try for it and you'll eventually get higher each time. Also try resting for 5 mins and going back to them. Muscles get "pumped" quite quickly with pullups and it can cost you reps on follow up sets. Give them some time to settle down and you'll get more reps out.

My son i started training on them. He couldnt do even 1. Does 6 now. Very few sessions lots of time of between attempts.

Do negatives After you fail full. 1 set only . Rest 3 to 7 days . Dont bother with lat pull downs. Dont do both.

When you are failing its best not to push last rep. When u start out its easy to overtrain the movement.

17th rep was a struggle. Last time I could do 17 of these, I weighed about 73kg. The first 7 or 8 feel like a piece of piss these days.

• 2 weeks later...

ffs I hate pullups, only get sets of 4-5 out pisses me right off

How many do you want to do?

4-5 is still good. Lots of people can't do even 1.

You can get to 20+ if you want to easy enough takes a few weeks. Just have to put in the effort. You can do it.

I still haven't tried any pull ups but am still doing weighted chins.

After a 10kg warmup set of 8 I can come close to doing 2 sets of 8 at 25kg. Usually 8-6 or 8-7 , sometimes 7-6 etc but in and around that range.

Does anyone know what's considered a decent weight on this exercise?

I realize pull ups are harder but I prefer chins as I get some bicep work also which I need as I have girly arms - yes Rev I know you need to pack on x amount of kgs all over to see 1inch improvement in arm size :)

What do mean Press, bench?

I do weighted dips for tri's/lats/shoulder girdle (and bent rows for some of the same areas)

I guess I'm just a weak person then, no surprises.

Pull ups just doesn't really interest me. I'm assuming if I was fresh maybe I could do 5? How wide a grip do you take and on the flat part of the bar or the angled part?

Might try some tomorrow for shits and giggles.

Pressing movements can be bench ohp etc. Skull crushers.

Pullups can be hard. Thats why they are good. Slightly wider than shoulder width is fine to start.

5 is good. Many people cant do even 1. Do them as per the challenge. See if you can improve.

Remember this is a pullup thread. Not a chinup thread

Dave, what would you consider neutral grip to be, i.e. palms facing each other on a shoulder width grip? Seems to me like it would be more chinup than pullup.