SAU Community

Pullup Progress And Improvement Thread.

rev210

A thread to continue progress and improvement on strict pullups. Both bodyweight and weighted.

Discuss and log your progress on what is a definative strength benchmark and arguably the best upper back excersise you can do.

The goal is to help motivate people to improve full range consecutive pullups as per challenge and weighted pullups.

So formal bodyweight challenge , weighted for single rep or any variation you are trying to improve.

Constructive comments on form ,however , no beat downs on people for posting vids that aren't super strict form ala challenge rules.

Edited by rev210

I did a challenge twice this week, wasn't pull up specific but it would defiantly improve overall pull up performance.

It was 10x 100kg deadlift followed by 10 heaves

The. 9x100kg deadlift and 9 heaves

All the way down to 0 ...

Smashed your upper and lower back.. Not to mention your grip :/

Ends up being 55 chin ups and 55 deadlifts at 100kg

Ended up doing it in 9min 50

this one was to finish after some circular pullups and bent over barbell rows.

I was working on going fast/ power, while still controlling the pullup as much as I could.

I think about 24 reps continuous there.

Edited by rev210

• 4 months later...

In light of my fked shoulder, I no longer do lat pulldowns or seated rows. These exercises are too "strict" for my joints to work around the injury - at least this is what I hypothesised.

Enter pullups! The shoulder friendly alternative, that I have newfound love for. They seem not to aggravate the shoulder too much and this was enough for me to adopt them as my fulltime upper back exercise.

Have always done these here and there as a finisher for lats or during penis length competitions at parties.

During the pullup contest on here, I think I got 14-15 reps full range. Second set gave me 12, and then 10 and then 6. You lose endurance very quickly if you haven't trained in these - or better put, if you have trained in them, you develop great endurance for multiple sets.

Hence my first session over a month ago looked something like this:

And my session tonight was:

Granted, I do these at 3/4 range to be mindful of my shoulder...which is basically starting the rep just short of a dead hang. So difficult to compare to my full range pullup performance, pre-injury...but I think I have more endurance now.

I will be looking at weighted pullups in the future, but for now I'm just gonna get those numbers up to the teens across all sets.

Great exercise!

Not a bad goal to set mate....it's a good measure of being both strong and lean, given they complement each other for the exercise.

yeah it's a tad embarassing having to do them assisted since I'm one of the few fat guys who uses the weights room and not a hungry skeleton, but the assistance weight is going down, and given that when I started I could not even do 5, I've come a long way.

Yeah man no hurry, not many people can actually do pullups. They are a bit of a thin or lean person exercise and that being said, I know some people who have been going to the gym for ages and still can't do them!!!

My current chin up's look like this, these are 5x5s, breaks in seconds are 60, 75, 90, 120.

When I say chin ups I'm talking shoulder width, maybe a touch narrower, and supinated grip.

All weights in KG.

7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5

I've got more in there and am confident I could start at 10 and work through to 20, possibly up to 25 right now but I take this slowly as it comes at the end of my routine and my forearms/elbows are usually fatigued by then and I've strained them once or twice.

Any that's my two cents.

If you look in my build thread, I always start lighter and work up, that's what 5x5s are (atl east I thought so).

I like that it gives me a chance to get the motion going before loading it up too much. (especially squats where my ankle needs those lighter sets to free up).

Honestly, I'm not sure I could 17.5 for every set, maybe I could? I'm not sure if it makes them easier or harder having a narrower supinated grip, I'd imagine wide grip pull ups with pronated grip would be harder?

I was just throwing some more data in the mix.

Maybe on Friday I'll go for the BW challenge and see i I can get 15 reps out or something?

We're not all Rev lol

Edited by ActionDan
  • Like 1

I wanna be able to do lots of pullups!

Did one the other week but later found out it was a chin up :/

Tried unassisted pullups again on Monday night but can only do a negative rep one at the moment.