SAU Community

Deadlift Progress And Improvement Thread

rev210

How do I raise the hip position?

I'm hitting my knees on the way up

I still had someone tonight telling me I'm rounding my back and I dropped the weight by 20kg

I'm so frustrated it's really upsetting me :(

I just looked at your thread, less reps maybe???...you did 100 deadlifts, or you copy pasted too many times?

Birds told me to drop the weight (which I did by 20kg) and do lots of reps and sets

I'm hitting my knees coming up no matter if I do one set or ten. I was hitting them from the first set that's why my knee was bleeding by the end. I've posted here to try and figure out what I'm doing wrong and to work out how I can fix it because I'm very lost

Knees bent too much Leesh, bend the upper back more to get down there and keep your hips higher.

Post video?

Hi Dan, thank you for trying to help me. How do I bend the upper back? I don't even know what that means :( How do I keep hips higher?

Birds has dl videos, I deleted them

I literally mean bend over and grab the bar without bending your knees too much, similar to as if you were touching your toes without bending your knees heaps. Slight bend only.

Then once you have it and have set up (tries locked, bar close to shins etc) you sit into the position a little (drop the hips a little) and get that straightness in your lower back without raising your shoulders up, similar to how you sit into a squat but you're standing at the time if that makes sense.

If you have no luck with online videos I will video myself on Friday's session to show you what I do, right or wrong, and we can all discuss that to help you with your cues.

Okay, I do set up like that now (legs straight and grab bar with arms straight) as Dan showed me that at ptc. Honestly I've spent hours watching online deadlift videos, they just confuse me more. Thanks Dan appreciate it

Too much knee bend then, if you're like me, more leg than torso, you really have to bend at the hips,back to get down on it without bending the knees heaps.

You can have some angle in your shins from knee bend but as you stand up you will straight your legs and that bend will go, allowing the bar to clear the knees.

Are you standing up into the lift or keeping knees bent too much?

I'm off to bed shortly so if I don't reply, that's why :)

Edited by ActionDan

Deadlift is a back exercise. This is one reason beginners start with stiff legged, because they often can't get their head around the idea that the back needs to do most of the work and your legs are only bent to help your back get the thing off the floor. In a fluid motion your knees will straighten before the bar comes up to touch them.

If you are hitting knees then you are likely squatting rather than using your back to lift.

Leesh, the form you had in the first video you sent me was fine. You weren't hitting knees in that. I'll SMS it to you again.

Just relax L33SH. It's easy to overthink it. The bar above the center of your feet and your shoulder-blades over the bar, should see you miss the knee easy on the way up. Shoulder blades over the bar is probably where the issue is. To see how this works try getting an empty bar/broom (start at a height that is the same as having plates on off the ground). Try moving the shoulder blade position around you will see what happens to the knee position vs bar on the way up.

Just relax L33SH. It's easy to overthink it. The bar above the center of your feet and your shoulder-blades over the bar, should see you miss the knee easy on the way up. Shoulder blades over the bar is probably where the issue is. To see how this works try getting an empty bar/broom (start at a height that is the same as having plates on off the ground). Try moving the shoulder blade position around you will see what happens to the knee position vs bar on the way up.

There's just so many things to think about when doing the deadlift; chest out, shoulders back, back straight, keep bar close to legs, straight arms, squeeze glutes, push the bar away from you. I'm finding it difficult to perform this exercise with correct form even though I know all these things. The bar is touching my legs all the way up, but Dan said that was right.

I'm well and truly sick of people coming up to me in the gym and telling me I'm rounding my back, it happens every session, and yes I tell them I'm fine, it's just affecting my confidence now, because it happened again tonight when I lowered the weight by 20kg to stop the rounding. I'm at the stage now where I'm kinda dreading doing deadlifts at the gym.

I just had a shower and cleaned my legs up; I have bruises from my shins all the way up to my knees, about 10 on each leg, knee ones are big. I just don't want bruises on the knees because they really hurt and it makes it hard to squat.

I'll take your suggestion on board Rev and have a go with a broom tomorrow. Thanks for your help :)

Pro Tip, if you are smashing your knees that bad you stop, if need be take more weight off and focus purely on form. Just go through the motions trying all sorts of things until you sort your mechanics.

Don't go and do 10 sets of knee smashing DL, who'd want to go back to DL after that sort of abuse.

For some reason bruises on my quads/knees take ages to heal too.