SAU Community

Deadlift Progress And Improvement Thread

rev210

Birds: In your quest for 200, did you consider mixing up the reps sets to a 5x5 or a 3x8 instead of sets of 10 at the lower weights? I know you have physique aspirations, but I'm inclined to think that if you weren't burning up so much energy on the earlier lifts with so many reps you'd have the 200 already.

Great work either way, just a suggestion. It was something you guys pointed out to me when I had a plateau on the bench at one point, I'm now 25kg above that point.

Yep, several people have pointed that out and I agree with it. But I haven't plateaued yet.

My goal isn't just to be able to pull 200kg; plenty of people can do that. It's to use my unconventional training methods to get there and beyond. I'm a human experiment. Markos told me a while back in the powerlifting thread, that doing what I do (i.e. volume before 1RM), I wouldn't see 220kg - I'd like to test that hypothesis.

But it's not just about proving something. It's about having an ace up my sleeve for when I actually really need it. I haven't plateaued on deadlifts yet, not even close. I'm still adding 5kg a week, and when I run out of steam with that, I'll start adding 2.5kg a week. And when I can't lock out that, I'll push up my volume set weights.

These are my plateau breakers. And whatever they take me to, I'll always have that ace-up-my-sleeve plateau-breaker: the 1RM with no volume work before it. It'll be a sad day when I have to employ it, but the consolation is, my deadlift should be pretty fuggin decent by the time that happens.

There's also no better drive for me mentally, than knowing I could easily lift more if I was to ditch the volume first. Knowing that on any given day, however tired or crap I'm feeling, if I want to pull more than my 1RM...I can do it like the flick of a switch...is amazing :)

had a go at the deads tonight. not really done any since the challenge. I am certain to be sore tomorrow.

Tried wider Sumo stance , standard grip (not mixed grip). I'm sitting at about 91kg at the moment

150kg 22 reps I didn't have any kind of muscle failure instead I stopped when I felt sick... too much straight after dinner ha ha

I'm not sure what heavy would be like for me, the home weights are maxed out. From that perspective I don't think my 150kg will equate to any 1rm.

Fark me you're strong...at a guess I reckon you'd pull around 260 for a single?

Your weight come down since I last heard it reported? Must be looking fairly toned now?

Fark me you're strong...at a guess I reckon you'd pull around 260 for a single?

Your weight come down since I last heard it reported? Must be looking fairly toned now?

No the story is a bit depressing. I've had the roller coaster of stress and sickness since Jan. My weight drop has been poor diet (not enough food). So the body fat % is I reckon the same but, I've lost muscle. Just trying to get back into things again.

I know you mentioned you trained heavy before Rev but what do you (or anyone else who wants to chime in) think makes you so naturally strong?

There's no doubting you have some natural genetic ability in there mate, maybe you should be comping.

It's nice of you to say but, It's not a natural freakish strength. I would put it in context by saying that plenty of people who are dedicated to strength training are much stronger than I am right now. Also, there are people starting out at a similar age to when I did that aren't any weaker than I was. I was certainly really weak on my legs. My young wife at the time could leg press more than me before I got started (but, then she could outlift most men in the gym at the time).

I have some residual strength left from when I put in some heavy strength training a long time ago .I put a lot of effort in. I did it around being smart in my training and finding out what worked. It's a good incentive to do some strength training in your life as you can be sure it takes quite some time for it to decline (provided you eat ok ,don't get sick etc). Even if it does the muscle memory takes less time to come back when you pick up weights after a long break.

Impressive non the less.

I get what you mean though, I took 2 years off and came back with reasonable benching ability as it was my glory exercise previously.

Although not strong by any decent measure, I can still bench enough to impress my mates who have been gyming longer.

So I get you, You must have laid a great foundation.

No the story is a bit depressing. I've had the roller coaster of stress and sickness since Jan. My weight drop has been poor diet (not enough food). So the body fat % is I reckon the same but, I've lost muscle. Just trying to get back into things again.

Sorry to hear mate, hope you're on your way to collecting yourself.

90kg x 10

120kg x 10

150kg x 5

190kg x 1

90kg x 10

120kg x 10

150kg x 5

190kg x 1

Nothing different tonight, just wanted a repeat. Glad I didn't step up, cause the 190 was a struggle. Hoping I can sink 195 on Tuesday! Might have to start using 2.5kg increments.

I'm still blowing out at 110kg x 5, or 100kg x 10, really frustrating given that it seems to be so weak compared to my squat or bench. Starting Markos' beginners program this week with SLDL, so be interesting to see how it goes.

just can't pick up any more weight off the floor - like it won't move, or I can feel that my back is rounding. What do you mean by using a 1rm to break a plateau? I've always been erring on the lighter side with deadlift due to paranoia about hurting my back if I don't pull it off the floor correctly.

Have also realised that my diet had gone too low in calories / protein, and my generic bro split routine was probably not helping either.

What weights, sets and reps do you do for deads all up?

What's the most weight you've pulled on deads and can you lift it with another 2.5kg?

I get the feeling you may be experiencing the fear, which is what I term it when someone is afraid to actually use their back after years of being told not to lift with it. The back naturally begins to round when you reach the limits of what your lats and core can support keeping it rigid. There are a fair few articles that say a little rounding is nothing to fear, it's simply how the back gets stronger.

usually about 4x10 @ 90-100kg depending on the day and how slippery the bar is (no chalk or gloves).

The program I'm starting this week is 3x15 SLDL on each of the 3 days, I plan to stick with it for 6 weeks at least so will report back afterwards!

Give my deadlifts a shot! Do a warm up (say 70kg, do a working set you can comfortably push out 10 of (maybe 100kg), then do another working you can get ~5 reps out of (110kg?), then do a single rep 5kg above this weight (115kg). You'll have the energy and pull for it.

Oh and use bathroom paper to wipe the bar before you use it...will get rid of grime and sweat from other people for better grip. Chalk is ultimate though, should buy some and take to gym,