SAU Community

Deadlift Progress And Improvement Thread

rev210

90kg x 10

120kg x 10

150kg x 5

185kg x 1

No difference in numbers tonight, just a repeat of last time for the sake of backing it up and keeping form in check. Felt a bit ordinary/tired today, so wasn't in the mood for stepping up. See how I feel on Tuesday.

Try skipping the 120kg or the 90kg set. See how you go with the one warm up. You might find that will give you some extra intensity on the x5 set.

I do full body sessions as I'm going for overall balance and just general strength and conditioning, I'm not out for big numbers.

If your goal is overall balance then full body sessions aren't actually the best way there. But, the biggest component ( commitment) you are doing well with.

I'm happy with how it's been going and the progress I've had in the time spent.

For my goals it works well for me and mentally suits me better.

In actual deadlift news, I got my repped DL up to my bench which I'm happy about given the road I've had to get here.

Slow progress and low numbers still, but it's still progress, my back has never felt better :)

I think 99% of lifters who dismiss the full body workout have never done it properly for any length of time

My opinion, from training thousands of lifters, the full body workout is the best for anyone not competing in a BB sport (powerlifting,strongman,weightlifting,bodybuilding)

And for those that do plan to compete at a BB sport, there is no better way to get a good base than PROPER full body workouts.

The 3 best lifters I have in the gym are Martin, Max and Jack. They are the only 3 qualified for ProRawFive from PTC (men)

Max did full body workouts for 2 years, Martin about the same and Jack for close to a year

They are all still juniors, all 3 have WR, all 3 podiumed in Open competition at Nats. All 3 will continue to win comps when they are finally men.

Any type of exercise will give results when first starting, lets see what happens in 5 years when the body is exhausted from that type of training

I struggle to train 3 body parts let alone all of them in the same day

If your goal is overall balance then full body sessions aren't actually the best way there. But, the biggest component ( commitment) you are doing well with.

Dan I correct my self on this comment. Should have checked the workouts you are doing in your training log before posting. I was thinking you were doing something else (lots of isolation). Your version of full body is good (compounds).

It's cool Rev.

1) I wasn't really fussed what anyone else thought anyway as I am enjoying the routine and getting some results.

2) I was confident it was a decent full body routine as I'd discussed it with Markos for the exact reason I'd mentioned, balance.

Markos was also nice enough to remind me that I'm miles behind his girls :D

I've been doing full body workouts 3 times a week for the last 4 weeks;

Squats

Flat bench press (or dumbbell press)

Lat pull down (or wide grip chins)

Upright rows

Military press (light as shoulder is still bung)

Dips

Mixing it up with different amounts of sets and reps, although squats, bench and lay pull downs are always 5 sets.

It's hard to put deads in there so on the 4th day have started to do them again with shoulders (mainly rear delts) and arms (tris/bis).

Liking the workout a lot but it is taxing on the body.

As for deads did these last week for the first time in 2 months:

60x10

100x10

120x5

140x5

150x1

160x1

170x1

Was satisfied with that after such a long time off them.

I don't think so, but it still sucks to be so crap at something.

Crap is subjective. What do you actually want from the exercise? The movement to be ratio balanced with the rest of your compound movements? To be stronger than PTC girls? To beat Birds? To impress Markos? To go as strong as your ankle will let you?

Whatever the desire, set a quantifiable strength goal and shoot for it. This might give you motivation to push harder when you can see goalposts. It could be as simple as a target number, or saying that you want to beat your previous session lifts by x KG. If you don't know what you're working towards, your mind will likely take the path of least resistance and subconsciously say "that'll do" for now. Lots of people at commercial gyms make their goal "to look good". This is fine as a mission statement for the long term, but often they do not set weight targets for exercises and end up doing the same mediocre routine/lifts everytime they go = those skinny or fat guys you've seen in the gym who look like they did 5 years ago.

Once you have this goal, implement some 1RM training. You can even stick it at the end of your volume, like I do, if you're OCD about doing your volume sets first (disclaimer: this is NOT the most efficient way to train 1RM, but I believe it does still work). The 1RM doesn't have to be huge to start with. Try 10kg above your current highest weight for your volume sets. Add 5kg to this number each week. You'll be surprised how long you can keep doing this until you plateau. Adjust volume set weights as your 1RM goes up...the two complement each other.

Deadlifts are awesome to 1RM increase because the smallest increments go relatively unnoticed. If you were to add 2.5kg to your 1RM each week, after a year you'd be pulling over 220kg, which is nothing to laugh at. Obviously increases aren't that linear, but nothing says you can't achieve it if you train for it.

As for deads did these last week for the first time in 2 months:

60x10

100x10

120x5

140x5

150x1

160x1

170x1

Was satisfied with that after such a long time off them.

Good work John, keep updating the thread with your deadlift progress. It's amazing how much strength is retained on deads and how quickly you can return to the status quo after a lengthy break. Race me to 200? Hahaha

Maybe you're routine is crap lol

Sorry couldn't help myself lol

lol EAD - I was waiting for it ;)

Crap is subjective. What do you actually want from the exercise? The movement to be ratio balanced with the rest of your compound movements? To be stronger than PTC girls? To beat Birds? To impress Markos? To go as strong as your ankle will let you?

Whatever the desire, set a quantifiable strength goal and shoot for it. This might give you motivation to push harder when you can see goalposts. It could be as simple as a target number, or saying that you want to beat your previous session lifts by x KG. If you don't know what you're working towards, your mind will likely take the path of least resistance and subconsciously say "that'll do" for now. Lots of people at commercial gyms make their goal "to look good". This is fine as a mission statement for the long term, but often they do not set weight targets for exercises and end up doing the same mediocre routine/lifts everytime they go = those skinny or fat guys you've seen in the gym who look like they did 5 years ago.

Once you have this goal, implement some 1RM training. You can even stick it at the end of your volume, like I do, if you're OCD about doing your volume sets first (disclaimer: this is NOT the most efficient way to train 1RM, but I believe it does still work). The 1RM doesn't have to be huge to start with. Try 10kg above your current highest weight for your volume sets. Add 5kg to this number each week. You'll be surprised how long you can keep doing this until you plateau. Adjust volume set weights as your 1RM goes up...the two complement each other.

Deadlifts are awesome to 1RM increase because the smallest increments go relatively unnoticed. If you were to add 2.5kg to your 1RM each week, after a year you'd be pulling over 220kg, which is nothing to laugh at. Obviously increases aren't that linear, but nothing says you can't achieve it if you train for it.

Fair points.

Initially after getting the screw removed and getting the all clear to start doing stuff again, the goal was start squatting and DL because I was doing neither. Then I had that training session with Matt and at that point my goal was get squat and DL above bench, and I'm just about there.

From there, I'm not sure. It really depends on how my ankle tolerates it as my next goal after getting squat and DL above my bench is to get back into running as I'm only walking at the moment. That will take some time for the ankle to handle running and 3x gym a week. I realise running is counter productive to strength training, but it's good for the dog and good for me and allows me to eat more :D

After that I'm not sure, maybe aim for 140 squat and 160 DL as they seemed like decent totals for me if my ankle can deal with it. That would be a long term goal though as I need to take it slowly - I will also need more weights.

Any type of exercise will give results when first starting, lets see what happens in 5 years when the body is exhausted from that type of training

I struggle to train 3 body parts let alone all of them in the same day

Gday Pat, here is something for you, an accidental 5 year study.

My son Max started on my beginners program at 15, 5 years ago. It consisted of squats, bench, deads, cleans, overheads, rows and chins.

He was 51kg.

He has just turned 21, trains 7 days a week, weighs 90kg, squats, in competition, not gym lifts, 270kg, benches 170kg paused and deadlifts 260kg. He is 21 and has numerous World Records and Medals from World Championships. Until 2010 he trained whole body, started 2007.

The base he laid training correctly from the beginning will hold him in good stead for the rest of his career. He has never ignored lifts that will be beneficial, here are a few "odd" vids