SAU Community

Deadlift Progress And Improvement Thread

rev210

• 2 weeks later...

90kg x 10

110kg x 10

140kg x 7

160kg x 3

Bit of a setback in training after my holiday in Perth and two subsequent colds. Earlier this week I pulled:

90kg x 10

110kg x 10

140kg x 6

160kg x 2

Next session will give 150 for reps a go, followed by 160 or 165 for reps.

So today my gym held a deadlifting competition as part of its open day, which I thought was pretty cool. Apparently they will be doing things like thia on a monthly basis. Good to see compound movements being promoted in a commercial gym environment. Prolly helps the new manager is an ex sprinter, who deadlifts close to 300 himself :)

Strangely similar to the comp we had on here - 1.5 x bodyweight for max reps. There were only 5 or 6 competitors unfortunately, so not much in the way of competition, but a few onlookers (~25) and decent prizes made up for it. Being a commercial gym, I took 1st place (tehe) and all the typical big gym bros were too scared to step up to the plate and even give it a go. Shame!

I pulled 120kg x 15 on first attempt and 12 reps for the second, 5 mins later. Really wanted to faint after the second lot! Grip held me back on the first set; the back and heart/lungs wanted to keep going, but the fingers said no. Gotta work on that. Still, that's 5 more reps than I did of the same weight in our comp on here...so I'm glad to see I've progressed.

Props to the fat 50 year old dude who pushed out 9 reps of 180kg...this kind of thing definitely favours the lean and lightweight.

thinking I either need to get more grip strength or some straps - since I'm plateauing on 100kg! Kept finding the bar wanted to slip out of my fingers, didn't help that my gym has no f**king ventilation or fans going in winter at all, making it extremely humid in there to the point that the condensation drips from the roof.

Chalk + mixed grip = instant +50kg grip capacity.

Other than that, there are grip strengthening exercises you can do...holding the lockout on last rep for example.

gym was going off tonight, dat open day full disco spec yo'

congrats birdmang on the win

was at work so couldn't do deadlift comp unfortunately :( wouldn't of won but at least done it

thinking I either need to get more grip strength or some straps - since I'm plateauing on 100kg! Kept finding the bar wanted to slip out of my fingers, didn't help that my gym has no f**king ventilation or fans going in winter at all, making it extremely humid in there to the point that the condensation drips from the roof.

Your grip is weak. Keep doing deads and it will get stronger eventually. Then something else will lag. Use normal grip instead of mixed to help with developing the grip strength. Also focus on squeezing the hell out of your grip when you lift.

Your grip is weak. Keep doing deads and it will get stronger eventually. Then something else will lag. Use normal grip instead of mixed to help with developing the grip strength. Also focus on squeezing the hell out of your grip when you lift.

I had a feeling that this was part of it too - I've been trying to squeeze the crap out of all the weights when I use them to build it up some more

gym was going off tonight, dat open day full disco spec yo'

congrats birdmang on the win

was at work so couldn't do deadlift comp unfortunately :( wouldn't of won but at least done it

Was good to have good music in there for once haha.

Cheers mate. Shame you couldn't make it down; would have been good to have more lifters there. Said they were gonna run another comp later this month for a different lift. I got a $100 Coles Myer card for my efforts - not bad for just doing my workout!

Looking to post some good deadlift numbers during tomorrow's workout.