Deadlift Progress And Improvement Thread

rev210

been getting back into the gym and by far my favourite exercise is deadlifts

Last workout yielded:

6 x 100kg

6x 100kg

6 x 105kg

6 x 105kg

body weight is 105, so im happy after 2 months back at the gym that ive gone from nothing to being able to lift my own weight

one quick question, is there any advantage at all to putting a 1RM set in there, or is it just so you know how much you can actually lift?

one quick question, is there any advantage at all to putting a 1RM set in there, or is it just so you know how much you can actually lift?

depends on your purpose or goal for training. You don't necessarily need to do 1RM at all, as part of training.

Working in a lower volume range is arguably better for this kind of lift.

depends on your purpose or goal for training. You don't necessarily need to do 1RM at all, as part of training.

Working in a lower volume range is arguably better for this kind of lift.

by lower volume i assume you mean sets with lower rep counts?

so id be better for aiming for say sets of 4-6?

Have a look at my posts in this thread from start to finish (it's not that long)...you'll see a gradual pattern of stepping up weight, both in volume and single rep training. You don't have to do as many reps as I do, as the exercise does favour low reps and I love my volume, but you'll see that what makes a difference over time is stepping up the weight as often as you can. Singles are good for this, because you're adding a minuscule amount of weight to them every session, so you barely notice the difference, but over time it adds up.

Obviously look after your technique first and foremost, but don't be afraid to put that weight up. As Markos says, people major in the minor shit too much. Rep ranges have their place, but your focus should be on trying to get the weight up. If you can't do that, then do more sets and reps.

yeah i make sure that im not on the same weight for more than 3 sessions, and i havent hit any kind of plateau yet.

generally i aim for a min of 6 and a max of 10, when i get to 10 i bump the weight up, thinking i might back that down to 4 and 8

been helping train a mate with deads and a few other things (too slack to bother lifting myself, just doing token demos). 3 weeks 3 training sessions. His weight 78kg. Height 6ft 2 . 40 years old, Skinny -fat dude. No weight training experience. Nothing special.

Starting deadlift weight 60kg . Did 140kg tonight.

That's good! He skinny! well done to him :)

When I was talking to this dude at my gym 2 weeks ago he was dead lifting 260kg and did 300kg tonight, pretty impressive jump IMO

Edited by L33SH