SAU Community

R33 Gtr - Turbo Cutting Out

a6491

Hey guys!

Finally got my car approx 2 weeks ago and already popping with questions! Got my car back from the shop today (major service) and apparently the car is only going three quarters as fast as it should be! I tried to research the problem but have no flippin' idea what I'm looking for!

Apparently when you put the foot down the turbo.. cuts in and out? like it's there, then not there, then there again. I didn't notice this until I put my foot down to understand what the mechanic was on about. He said it may be electrical(went into jargon I couldn't understand lol)? I was hoping for some input/thoughts to give the mechanic the next time I see him as they charge lots by the hour lol

Only changes done (related to problem) is the boost restricter being removed. so instead of 7psi, it's 14psi. But I don't see the boost gauge use all 14 pounds. Apparently this isn't the problem, I don't know. Any ideas would be fantastic!

Cheers in advance guys!

Does it have a k & n filter that use oil, if over oiled it will suck through the filter onto the maf and affect your reading, specially on boost. Check your coil packs for cracks and for fouled plugs. sense you just got it you should hit up the dyno or road test and check your AFR just for piece of mind. List any mods as this will help us help u

hey mate yeah I posted all mods done when I created the post. thanks for responses guys. will check all these probs out on the weekend. will keep you guys informed!

Did they change your spark plugs on the major service? My guess is its missing and if they installed new plugs they might just need to be regapped. Is this happening all the way through the rev range or just on boost when applying WOT?

got stock ecu? try resetting it

also search for dry solder on afm, its not difficult to check

Yeah it is stock. I'll look into it thanks!

Did they change your spark plugs on the major service? My guess is its missing and if they installed new plugs they might just need to be regapped. Is this happening all the way through the rev range or just on boost when applying WOT?

Yeah plugs were changed during the service. This "misfiring", "cutting" is only happening when I put my foot down.

google missfire and see if a more professional description matches with what your experiencing

I've had a squizz through and watched a few vids but they sound more serious than what mine is, I have no leaks, car idles no problem.

As a free bump! my GTS-T is doing the same thing. Once you get over 7psi, even 8psi! it feels like its hitting a rev limiter/ tapping the accelerator on and off. yet if i leave the car on 7psi i can flog the crap outta her and she's happy.

Op. Running nore boost will cause you to run out of spark aka missfiring. Its got shitall to do with idle unless a coil pack dies.

Second dude. Youre either hitting too much boost which the ecu is cutting you off or you also are running out of spark.

Change spark gaps up boost.

Yeah had some ideas, apparently my car is tuned to handle unleaded 95 when I've been putting in premium 98. Doubt that'll have anything to do with it. Checked the air flow sensors and they seem fine. Still got the cutting in and out happening though. Will check out other probs tomorrow!

Try regapping the spark plugs down to .8mm. Otherwise u may need some splitfre coilpacks.

+1^^^

This fixed my popping/slight miss fire under hard acceleration on 18psi

yeah I bought some split fire coilpacks. hope they come in before the easter break. would like to hit more than 0.7(unsure on conversion to psi. its reading I get) bar before my car throws a hissifit. my camry runs better at the moment.