SAU Community

Nbn Change.org Petition?

Rhys9

yeah it's only the "IT fanbois", until mum and dad can't use their T-Box because one of the kids is watching 1080p YouTube streams, or can't use Skype because someone's downloading the latest episode of Game of Thrones, someone can't watch their uni lecture online because someone is playing games online etc etc.

The reason that those of us in the industry rant on about it, is because we know how much bandwidth the "average" user uses, and with the exception of the baby boomer generation and older (and even then that's starting to get lower with the prevalence of ipads etc), it's growing at an exponential rate.

You must associate with a small clique of Luddites, the internet and associated services are ubiquitous and widely used by MOST people. To me it's like saying that the Hume Highway should have been kept single lane and asphalt.

There are VERY FEW people who actually get above 20mb/s on DSL, and outside the cities and major centres, it's even worse. I could give you the TL;DR explanation as to why, but simply put the technology is at the end of the road, and cannot cope with the amount of growth on it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a vast gulf between saying most people use the internet (which they do, clearly) and saying that most people need NBN sized download speeds so that the latest pirated episode of Star Trek can be downloaded in less than 2 minutes. (which they dont)

If you want to make the argument about infrastructure then $20 billion buys an awful lot of Hume Highways or hospitals or schools or universities. Maybe even enough that there will be road leading to your local uni so you can actually attend it in person. Instead of a mass of IT infrastructure that may (MAY) be fully utilised some decades into the future.

You're still not getting it are you.

LEGITIMATE uses of large amounts of bandwidth and the underlying technology (that will last without upgrade WELL into the forseeable future) not to mention scalability is what I'm getting at, not discussing semantics about whether people really *need* high speeds to illegally download etc.

The amount being invested now is a drop in the ocean compared to the return on investment and future possibilties available.

I do happen to work in tertiary education - the focus at work is more and more and more on video conferencing, VOIP, hosted services, online delivery and course content as well as document management etc. This is not "decades into the future", this is happening now, and I've seen bandwidth requirements quintuple here in 3 years alone.

I understand your point. I just dont agree with it. $40 billion is not a drop in the ocean. It is a shtload of money much of which will be wasted on excess capacity and connections that people wont ever use. Money that could be used far better elsewhere.

You mean a once in a generation investment into the communications infrastructure of the entire country which has been in dire need of upgrade for years, and would not be financially viable to do any other way?

I understand your point. I just dont agree with it. $40 billion is not a drop in the ocean. It is a shtload of money much of which will be wasted on excess capacity and connections that people wont ever use. Money that could be used far better elsewhere.

That's where you're wrong, the money CANNOT be used elsewhere. It's being loaned to the government under particular circumstances because it's being used for the NBN.

It's like going to the bank and asking them for a loan for a house and then using the money they give you for a round the world holiday.

$40B over 10 years IS a drop in the ocean in relative terms, ie. when you have a GDP of nearly $1,500B per year and a budget of around $400B per year.

The ALP NBN is incredibly affordable and by far and away the best option. The current infrastructure underpinning Australian communications is f**ked. It needs to be replaced, so do it once, do it right and do it with fiber.

And now we know the Liaberals are going to spend $25B giving us FTTN, we should really be comparing the savings from FTTN to FTTH. The difference is $15B cause at least $25B will be spent, regardless of who rolls it out. $15B to upgrade from FTTN to FTTH is an absolute no brainer.

Do it once, do it right.

Great website. It clearly demonstrates the real world advantages of Labour's NBN in real world situations. To see these benefits that will affect us now and then consider how much filesizes may grow in the coming decades leaves no doubt in my mind that it is worth paying a bit of extra money up front for the NBN.

As someone who works in the telecommunications industry I completely agree with bozodos as well as a few of the other guys here

Within the last 8 years the need for faster speeds and greater download capacity as grown.

I've seen plans go from 400MB to 1TB on the HFC network and Unlimited on the ADSL network. Speed wise, companies like telstra and optus are now offering docsis 3 (up to 100mbit/s) but these speeds are not available to everyone. Telstra only offer this to Victoria (as far as I'm aware) and Optus to the QLD, NSW and VIC (but even this is limited to older suburbs)

Even though the current pricing/download quota that is being advertised is expensive (they will eventually go down, they always do) , I believe the NBN is the way to go in the long run

The pipes to overseas is not the only thing that needs to be upgraded. These can be upgraded to handle anything Australia has to throw at it, the telco's still need to upgrade their international capacity.

If this does not happen, the upgrade to the pipes are useless. Then it also depends on how the telco's route their traffic.

I have adsl2 and live 4-4.5kms from an exchange, line sync at best is 4meg, I say bring on the NBN

There's a lot more I could add but my brain's currently fried after a 12 hour shift :wacko:

Currently have NBN, best thing ever. I get speeds of 10-11 Megabytes per second (around 80-88 Megabits) for a 100 Mbps plan. Definitely something that I was looking forward to. Nothing better than streaming 1080p from comp to the TV through wireless :D

Currently have NBN, best thing ever. I get speeds of 10-11 Megabytes per second (around 80-88 Megabits) for a 100 Mbps plan. Definitely something that I was looking forward to. Nothing better than streaming 1080p from comp to the TV through wireless :D

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying per month and what's your data limit?

Paying $130 a month for 500gb through Telstra and on top of that included free handset, T-box, modem/router and free installation of any hard wiring done from my garage (NBN box) to the computer and T-box setup through Foxtel.

Overall, it's probably more expensive than other companies but firstly I'm with Telstra for everything i.e. mob, home ph, foxtel, internet. Plus some other companies couldn't offer 100 Mbps plans, 500gb limits and had restrictions with on and off peaks too.

wow there is a lot of miss information in this thread, specially when its comes to the DSL network. Copper is the underlying issue with the DSL network through and through! This has nothing to do with the backbone of TLS or OPT or matter of any other carrier that supplies that..

Given the complaints of users vs bandwidth on DSL no carrier has a garunteed CBR to any consumer user so depending on the bandwidth (from DLSAM to agregator then into the cloud etc) of each exchange or POI so this point is then irrelevant. Keep in mind that also home networking will become an issue with multi person streaming but thats a whole nother kettle of fish

TLS whole network is fibre through out including to their mobile base stations

OPT has fibre backbone to its 13 super exchanges and has a lot of leased lines

i can go on all day here however given this is about the NBN which is a great idea for AUS given we are 10+ years behind the rest of the world carrier wise this will be good to bring us into the future of bandwidth and tele confrencing etc etc etc