SAU Community

Strengthening A Rb26 Block

Unless you are drag racing it constantly there Is no real need to go cement fill it. I am running a N1 block with custom 86mm CP Pistons to gain maximum bore thickness with stock girdle and the engine makes close to 900kw. It has had plenty thrashings still holding together quite nicely.

• Like 1

Cheers fellas! Good feedback! Seems like to the bottom of the welch plugs doesnt cause any problems so I will run with that.

XRATED - Ive already got a little 240v vibrating motor ready to bolt on my bench :)

NUR33 - I would have liked to put an N1 block in it but have already spent the money on the stock one so just chasing a little bit more strength / reliability.

Cheers Simon.

Why not just an electric pump at all times? Have something to monitor the fact its actually pumping at all times and benefit from full control.

Great minds think alike... I'm 1/2 way though the install of my DC ally electric pump today.

I'm going to leave the mechanical pump in for a few reasons.....

1. I can't be assed pulling the whole face of the enginge off to rmove the water pump.

2. The mech pump will provide redundancey if the electric pump fails for any reason.

3. The underdriven N1 pump has a reduced parasitic draw on the engine, especially if it's not having to draw coolant.

4. I want to keep the stock fan hub and shroud arrangement, but will be gong to a gtek fan and adapter. I know I can press the impellor off the water pump, but see points 1-3.

5. The DC controller offers a fan out put that I'll be using to controll a thermo fan on one of my oil coolers.

Cheers

Justin

If the DC proves reliable, next re-build I will probably remove the water pump, thermostat and stock fan arrangement all together for some further experementation....

Especially when I'm using coolant that won't boil/smell or expand.... so unless you catch the temp guage, you can be runningaround for quite awile before you notice whats up.