SAU Community

Paint Protection - Does It Really Work And Costs?

Hi guys, I'm looking at getting paint protection done on my car and have heard several good things about it such as keeping the paint losing like new for 5-8 years, looking like it's been waxed weekly, easier to clean dirt off and that it protects the paint from UV damages.

Is all this true, where to get it done in VIC and roughly how much for the whole car?

I'm totally new to this so any help would be great.

Cheers

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

Its a wank.

my mate had a detailing business and use to apply this so called paint protection to brand new cars for the dealerships. All he done was give ghe car a full hand polish with a good quality polish. I also have many mates that are spray painters who have also said all it is is a polish and these dealerships charge as much as 3k for this so called paint protection. Be weary my friends.

Josh

Epic waste of your money.

You would be better off putting some money aside for a professional detail, and some time with the detailer to learn how to take care of, and maintain the finish.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have also been asking around and do some research, it appears a regular wash / polish and occasional detailing is better or just as food as paint protection only lasts a while and it's expensive as.

• 3 months later...

Final Inspection do a similar thing and you pay per coat I think. Dont know anyone who has had it for more than a few months so, so not sure of results.

should pay more attention to this section...

Final Inspection, FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) 2.5 years and it's starting to get a little tired but still beads and sheets, just not as well as it use to.

I layered another 1-2 layers of FI Seal 'Strong' after FMJ - garaged car, maintained with pH neutral shampoo.

Paint protection from someone who knows what they're doing (ie a proper detailer) can provide long term protection - but you need to be good with your maintenance as well to get the most out of it

Im not going to knock the product Dan, but how many kms have you actually done in those 2.5 yrs....how much time has it spent out in the elements?

Any coating will last years if the car is locked in a garage most of the time....

I've got FMJ on my daily and my mum's car.

most synthetic sealant should last min 6+months

I had it on my car for 2 years it still beads and sheets not as good as when i first got it of course, but its all in the maintenance

with proper maintenance (pH neutral shampoo and some sort of booster) it should last a fair wall.

DON'T ever get it from the dealer complete rip on

personally... a genuine good quality 2K paint job with 2K clear coat is sufficient. my car was parked outside under the elements everyday.... covered with tree sap and bird poo for 2-3 weeks straight. all it needed was a good wash with normal car shampoo and it looked new again. clear coat surface was smooth to the touch as well.

• 3 weeks later...

We sell paint protection products at the fleet company that i work for, and essentially it's a warranty item - it doesn't do much for the paint on your car, but if you happen to get rust/bird crap/UV damage within a certain period (5 years?) that ruins your paint, then the product manufacturer will repair it- usually with a resprays

I have no experience in this stuff but my father used this guy www.reflection-perfection.com.au on his ve commodore a year and a half ago. My car is getting detailed by him on Wednesday. He is putting a product called Cquartz Finest on my car as paint protection after he has finished fixing up my 1000 swirls lol.

Now, what I will say is that my fathers car still looks fabulous after his detail and, beads like crazy to this day when it rains or when he washes it so I think there is some merit in paint protection. There better be anyway before I fork out my hard earned!