SAU Community

R35 Hit And Run In Usa Anyone Seen This?

Sure it's disgusting about the driver.

But what's makes me even more sick is everyone just wandering around, driving past, going to look and walking off, etc etc. no one even touches the old bloke to see if he's ok.

• Like 1

It is not that no one gives a shit about the guy on the road... it is that people are affraid to help in case they find themselves in a court case for touching him... it has happened before in the US.

so it is lawyers and court systems that have helped create this issue... and not just the US either guys, it happens here also

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I feel so sorry that that could have been me lying there with...

* No-one to take my pulse

* No-one to ask if I wanted someone to be contacted

* No-one to let me know that an ambo had been called

* No-one to just even hold my hand

I feel so sorry that that could have been me lying there with...

* No-one to take my pulse

* No-one to ask if I wanted someone to be contacted

* No-one to let me know that an ambo had been called

* No-one to just even hold my hand

that's a very terrible thought indeed Terry.

I'm trained in First Aid and when we had our class our trainer told us things are very different in the US and its also starting to happen here. He told us people feel violated if you help them and some people will threaten legal action. An example which happened in Australia he told us about, someone had passed out, had a heart attack. A first aid trained person was around and performed CPR and did the usual stuff. A rib was fractured and the guy who had the heart attack made a recovery then sued the person who helped him.

You do a good deed and some people will not see it like that. If I was there, sorry I would not touch the person, I would call an ambulance.

The driver in the other car(regardless of car), should have stayed. He was not at fault but leaving the scene was not a good move at all.

These days you try to do something good and you gotta think if its gonna swing back and bite you. I had a major car accident last year, plenty of other cars saw it. No one bothered to get out and ask if I needed help, no one bothered to come forward as a witness, no one bothered with anything.

I'm trained in First Aid and when we had our class our trainer told us things are very different in the US and its also starting to happen here. He told us people feel violated if you help them and some people will threaten legal action. An example which happened in Australia he told us about, someone had passed out, had a heart attack. A first aid trained person was around and performed CPR and did the usual stuff. A rib was fractured and the guy who had the heart attack made a recovery then sued the person who helped him.

You do a good deed and some people will not see it like that. If I was there, sorry I would not touch the person, I would call an ambulance.

The driver in the other car(regardless of car), should have stayed. He was not at fault but leaving the scene was not a good move at all.

These days you try to do something good and you gotta think if its gonna swing back and bite you. I had a major car accident last year, plenty of other cars saw it. No one bothered to get out and ask if I needed help, no one bothered to come forward as a witness, no one bothered with anything.

Unfortunately this is true. I hear about these things all the time.

Yes the driver should have stayed. No questions about that.

It is sad we do live in a society (country is irrelevant) when even the person doing the right thing is held accountable.

An obvious example which is similar as mentioned is doctors/hospitals.

• Like 1

To add to that, i myself have come forward as a witness to someone being hit by a car, and i said i would never do it again...

i was treated very poorly by the police and the whole process was rediculous... i had to take time off work at my expense, back then i was casual, to make reports, then to go to court for 2 days just in case i was called, to then be asked one question, then recieve 'compensation' of $40 for all the hours i lost from work and uni...

so what did i get for helping out, a slap in the face as far as i am concerned, i know it is the right thing to do and help, but when they make you feel like a criminal and it starts to cost you income and stress on how to pay bills it makes you think twice the second time....

• Like 1

It still boils to doing what is right!

And there's a chasm of difference between doing what is right Vs doing only enough to not put yourself at threat and rationalising it into a cozy justification.

Again in the U.S. many First Aid Courses involve a Plan B where you do not commit to CPR and thus, only do compressions.