SAU Community

Another Help Me With Detailing Advise

dyl33

Hey Sau

I want to detail my paint, It's not to bad but has a few scratches/swirls and stuff. I don't want to fork out for a Concours DA polisher just yet, So I'm thinking of giving a random orbital sander a go.

I need some assistance in picking the right one, Not sure what I need. Here is One at Bunnings <CLICK

What type of polishing pad would you recommend?

And what products should I use? Prefer they're available from local auto stores.

This is what I was thinking:

WASH - Bowden's own

CLAY - Bowdens own

COMPOUND - Meguiars ultimate

POLISH - Meguiars ultimate

SEALANT/WAX -???

Also I have no idea, So any help will be appreciated :)

Thanks

Edited by dyl33

Go to carcareproducts.com and get their polisher. This will give you the best results. And i would recommend menzerna polishing kit which comes as a package from carcare

Is this what your talking about http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/car_care_products/enthusiast_random_orbital_kit Is it any good. I do like how it comes in a kit with pads & polishes

Waxit.com.au give backup advice to their products as well - Antonio is here on SAU

This is polisher i currently use best for price http://waxit.com.au/p/8696747/concours-900-polisher.html

Yeah I know about the concours 900.

I was trying to be a tight-ass and avoid buying a DA polisher lol.

i used a bosch sander for a while, not suited for the job at all. the shape is usually wrong (you need to hold them as some effed up angles for long periods of time), the orbit/throw too small and the power not quite enough

also ruined the velcro backing on my pads due to the incorrect hooks on the backing plate, after i pulled them off four or five times. thats another thing, its much easier to change backing plates on dedicated polishers, in case you want to go for bigger or smaller pads

Thats it. Ive used mine for 2 years now. Best thing i ever did

Does the DAS6 500w polisher have enough oomf, Only ask because the DAS6Pro is 850w and Concours 900 is 900w.

i used a bosch sander for a while, not suited for the job at all. the shape is usually wrong (you need to hold them as some effed up angles for long periods of time), the orbit/throw too small and the power not quite enough

also ruined the velcro backing on my pads due to the incorrect hooks on the backing plate, after i pulled them off four or five times. thats another thing, its much easier to change backing plates on dedicated polishers, in case you want to go for bigger or smaller pads

Yeah I'm giving the RO sander idea a flick, Probably cause more problems the it's worth. So hopefully will get a Proper polisher next week.

The kit with Menzerna polishes are a SAMPLER KIT of 3x250ml bottles. Not sure how much polish you go through with a machine but I would think not many uses out of the sampler kit

I would probably only use a polisher a few times a year so less is best, but in saying that I only plan on buying one polisher and Concours 900 maybe a better long term purchase.

Edited by dyl33

Never had any issues with carecareproducts. Even met the owner at Top Gear festival and had a nice long chat before buying some more gear. Being able to pick up orders from their warehouse is a bonus too

I have been using carcareproducts for 2 years now. Never had a problem, even when my buffer broke and had to be replaced under warranty.

As for the sampler kit, I used it on 4 cars and still had a 1/4 bottle left. You use hardly any polish when buffing a car.

This is how a guy at carcareproducts prime their pads and instruct people how to polish...

skip to 3.30

And the below link is Mike Phillips who is world-renowned detailer from the USA who has been responsible for the preparation of many successful show cars, describing you how to prime a pad....

Quite the contrast.... I know who I'd listen to if I want to properly detail a car.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html

Unless you know a lot about detailing, you should go with a company who can actually help you with product selection and technique etc, and won't point you in the wrong direction.

Waxit is good, very helpful and advice is on point.

honestly, a video where a pad isn't primed is not a good enough reason to tell somebody to stay away from a seller

what is shown in the video is better than what 90% of amateurs or even some pros are doing out there and perfectly fine for anyone who is just figuring out the process

The concourse kit is worth every cent but if you want to be a real tight ass,

Go to bunnings...get a ozito orbital polisher for 99$ with 3 yr warranty...get an orange foam pad for it 20$ and a 1lt bottle of menzera fg500 for 55$total cost 174$...

With some practice you can achieve brilliant results with this simple equipment...problem is it takes practice and a decent decent set of forearms. Also it can melt paint on bumpers and plastics in the blink of an eye, whereas the concourse 900 is pretty safe to use anywhere, which is why it is great for beginners.

Not for the faint hearted or the limp wristed but it works..Honestly though get the 900 great little machine. ;)

honestly, a video where a pad isn't primed is not a good enough reason to tell somebody to stay away from a seller

what is shown in the video is better than what 90% of amateurs or even some pros are doing out there and perfectly fine for anyone who is just figuring out the process

In case you haven't read my above post, I have sent the OP a private message.

And wrong....I strongly disagree.

Priming a pad is one of the fundamentals of detailing. Not the best idea to get such a thing wrong when you actually use a decent amount of pressure to get the job done. Anyway, have a go at it and then use a Brinkmann swirl finder light and tell me what you see ;) ... I'll enjoy having a laugh.

There are a lot of people who do not know how to properly detail a car. But luckily for people like this, wax is a great temporary filler that'll cover up mistakes as it'll fill in the imperfections in the clear coat.

If you want to actually learn properly watch the videos on youtube from AMMO NYC and Mike Phillips.

If you are one who likes saving money, you can get products cheaper from places such as AutoGeek.net, Amazon, and Cleanyourcar.co.uk.