SAU Community

Haltech Iq3 Display : A Worthwhile Upgrade ?

cobrAA

Hello guys,

A IQ3 dash is 800$ and installation of it is about 500$ + a box needed to convert the speed mechanical sensor to electric. so basicly we're looking at about 1400$ + the cost of a used R32 cluster so basicly almost 1500$ for a dash display.

404751607.jpg

It does look cool, I admit, but not sure I'm willing to pay 1500 (which is the cost of my haltech ecu which will def. provide me an improvement) just for it to look cool. So could you please educate me as to how this upgrade will offer me an ''added value'' or it will purely be for the ''cool-factor''.

Thanks

This is my nismo cluster with upgraded T10 SMD 6000k led. it doesnt look too bad so unless I see a real benifit, I just think I will let it like that:

post-44496-0-34652800-1353126803.jpg

It would be of benefit if it was a car that was tracked pretty often because you can more accuratly monitor more items then the standard dash

For a street car, I think cost outweighs function, then your left with cosmetic appeal and personally I wouldnt be willing to spend that much for it to look good

Well.. My actual setup consist of STRI oil press, PLX A/F, Stri fuel press. in the center console... then put stri oil/water temp in the glove box and I got my Aquamist water-meth gauge in the air vent driver pod.

I agree with your point thought but I think 4 gauges can still be fitted clean. If I use the IQ3, I will only remove both water/oil temp gauge but will still keep the others.

We are also looking into getting one.

The way i see it is you dont need external gauges, can set limits and alarms so you can keep your eyes on the road, and have a gear shift rev limit display, all in one unit.

A worthwhile investment if your serious about monitoring your engines performance IMHO.

I could be wrong... but fitting a MFD oem-style will cost me more than the IQ3 so in this instance, I might as well go IQ3.

Rawbrokkeage is having a 10% sales so I thought i might just buy it now but then.. I spoke to my tuner and when he told me the cost involded to fit it I realised it was more than the cost of the IQ3 :( lol

I could be wrong... but fitting a MFD oem-style will cost me more than the IQ3 so in this instance, I might as well go IQ3.

Rawbrokkeage is having a 10% sales so I thought i might just buy it now but then.. I spoke to my tuner and when he told me the cost involded to fit it I realised it was more than the cost of the IQ3 :( lol

arent u driving a GTR?

special if your running anything where your giving the car a hiding - you can set alot of good warnings "in my opinion" i think the warning lights on the das are much better then the standard..

and yes it dose look cool lol - thats my two cents

I have one in my R32

My biggest reason for putting one in was I didn't like loads of gauges scattered around the dash, I have oil temp and pressure, water temp, fuel pressure, inj duty, fuel level, intake temp, boost pressure etc available at the push of a button (4 screen sets can be programmed)

I would suggest to those looking at one to buy a Logger version if you are not running a Haltech as Racepak don't offer a lot of support on the Display version, and the Display version doesn't have a working odometer function. (I'm having to run a R33 speedo hidden to make it road legal with the Odo)

image-3.jpg

I have one in my R32

My biggest reason for putting one in was I didn't like loads of gauges scattered around the dash, I have oil temp and pressure, water temp, fuel pressure, inj duty, fuel level, intake temp, boost pressure etc available at the push of a button (4 screen sets can be programmed)

I would suggest to those looking at one to buy a Logger version if you are not running a Haltech as Racepak don't offer a lot of support on the Display version, and the Display version doesn't have a working odometer function. (I'm having to run a R33 speedo hidden to make it road legal with the Odo)

image-3.jpg

Who made that dash? It's awesome!

Iq3 isnt made by haltech, common misconception.

and after using iq3's for a while now (i have one) ive come to the conclusion that there are better dashes on the market out there. The IQ3 software is total junk, not to mention that if you want to connect it to any ecu you need an expensive interface cable (about 400) to convert can to serial.. this is 2013 (about to be 2014) and these dashes are still using serial ffs.

there is a total lack of customer support from Racepak, they dont even have a phone number, if your lucky they might reply to your email. you'll get more support from their forum from other frustrated users then you will from the company.

i orginally had a haltech ECu and a haltech badged IQ3, haltech bought a stack of them in and put their own hardware and firmware in the dash to make it plug and play with each other. which is sweet, however i changed to a Link g4 and the dash would not work at all due to the fact you cannot change or delete the haltech firmware on the dash. So i sold the dash and bought a iq3 straight from racepak along with an interface cable. after MANY issues, none of which were solved by Racepack, we got it working. however not without issues, EG cant have dash and laptop plugged into the ecu at the same time.. annoying.

as for better options, the mxl aim sport is the way to go http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-chooser.html

Its about $1195 aud, has australian support, can do true CAN bus,and you can even configure PWM outputs to control a fan or pump etc... just incase you run out of outputs from your ecu.

Iq3 isnt made by haltech, common misconception.

and after using iq3's for a while now (i have one) ive come to the conclusion that there are better dashes on the market out there. The IQ3 software is total junk, not to mention that if you want to connect it to any ecu you need an expensive interface cable (about 400) to convert can to serial.. this is 2013 (about to be 2014) and these dashes are still using serial ffs.

there is a total lack of customer support from Racepak, they dont even have a phone number, if your lucky they might reply to your email. you'll get more support from their forum from other frustrated users then you will from the company.

i orginally had a haltech ECu and a haltech badged IQ3, haltech bought a stack of them in and put their own hardware and firmware in the dash to make it plug and play with each other. which is sweet, however i changed to a Link g4 and the dash would not work at all due to the fact you cannot change or delete the haltech firmware on the dash. So i sold the dash and bought a iq3 straight from racepak along with an interface cable. after MANY issues, none of which were solved by Racepack, we got it working. however not without issues, EG cant have dash and laptop plugged into the ecu at the same time.. annoying.

as for better options, the mxl aim sport is the way to go http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-chooser.html

Its about $1195 aud, has australian support, can do true CAN bus,and you can even configure PWM outputs to control a fan or pump etc... just incase you run out of outputs from your ecu.

Yes and no

Yes, the software in junk, even worse if it is the Display Version instead of the Logger Version

Yes they are insanely difficult to deal with.

No, you can reprogram a Haltech derived dash to run with a Link G4.

Yes you can run a Racepak IQ3 in CAN Bus cable, but you have to ask specially for them to make one for you (myself and and another Kiwi have one) and then have both the laptop and the dash plugged in at the same time.

Yes they have a phone number, prob the only way to get a decent answer out of them

But yes, if you are running anything other than a Haltech, I would pick something else like a Motec or an Aim

Link have just teamed up with a dash company (I forget who) but if it had been available when I bought I the IQ3 I would have......and I prob would have a lot more hair than I do now......but if you are only ever going to run a Haltech, I imagine it should be fine.

Edited by Sub Boy32

The software is no different between the Display or Logger versions. In fact I would say that the display dashes are easier to update, set up and configure than the loggers as there's less parameters you need to deal with. It is a bit 'clunky' but once its up and running and you know your way around it, its easy to work with.

The Haltech IQ3's are manufactured for Haltech by Racepak and then are only programmed with a basic layout and packaged with a quick start guide by Haltech.

Love my Haltech Logger :) Anyone feeling lost with theirs I'm happy to help. I highly recommend you hook up the two buttons so you can easily scroll through the 4 available screens and view peak data!

EfGccrLl.jpg