SAU Community

Spun Bearings?

Hello SAU

Need a bit of guidance as to what needs to be done. Haven't checked any of this stuff before so it's a learning experience.

Long story short - Drifting 3rd gear full boost and I saw oil pressure drop, turned off car immediately and rolled back into pits. Did a quick start, Oil pressure was back up put it on the trailer and that was it. Pulled motor today to check the damage.

These are pictures of the bearing cap and bottom half of bearing. In my opinion it's the worse of the lot. Do I replace it or it it ok to go back in?

Bearing Cap

20go22p.jpg

Bearing

iyg1mw.jpg

What do you guys think?

Also if it's bad, Can I just pull the crank and pistons out, replace/machine crank if need be and new bearings. Do I need to do anything with the pistons and rods? Like adjust or replace rings? Get anything checked? Or can I just bolt the rods back to the crank and put it back in no worries?

Thanks all.

How are the crank journals, scored?

Was a bearing spun?

If so dont muck around, in fact id look at getting some beefier rods in there to avoid this happening again.

Hows the oil pump, is it cracked?

What happened, were you holding the revs up high for a while, while redlining it? If so could be oil surge that built up in the head and dried out your sump that caused this.....good oil drain back to the sump is a known RB issue.

How are the crank journals, scored?

Was a bearing spun?

If so dont muck around, in fact id look at getting some beefier rods in there to avoid this happening again.

Hows the oil pump, is it cracked?

What happened, were you holding the revs up high for a while, while redlining it? If so could be oil surge that built up in the head and dried out your sump that caused this.....good oil drain back to the sump is a known RB issue.

Crank looked alright to me and bearings had not moved. There was no rod knock that i could hear after it happened. I just assumed the worst.

Have not looked at the oil pump yet. Was likely going to opt for a new one anyway.

Was holding about 5500-6000 rpm i dont like getting near limiter if possible.

Motor has done 2 sprint days and about 11 drift days now and this is my first engine issue.

Does it make any noise when running, like a nock nock nock sound?

To me It looks fine in those pics.

My old RB20 did this, drop oil pressure to zero under sudden heavy breaking, then come back up straight away. Although it eventually developed a nock.

Yeah thats why my questions were worded as they were.

It does not look like a spun bearing, cap does not look like its cooked, id be looking elsewhere for the oil pressure drop.

I would however inspect all bearings for metal to metal contact before reassembly in case one or more is damaged due to the momentary pressure drop.

One thing about track days and drift sessions is the high g loadings can move the oil away from the pickup, add to that higher RPMS which pools the oil in the head and its a recipy for oil starvation and spun bearings.

If all checks out OK drop a oil restrictor in under the head, and a larger oil sump with trap doors and longer pickup to make sure you dont starve it of oil at minimum.

There was no knocking sound that I could hear afterwards. Didn't want to run the engine for more than a couple seconds incase somthing was up.

Will check everything out today and see if there is any damage.

Ordered an oil restrictor and some fittings for a head drain last night so it will be done before motor goes back in. Going to check out sump options now.

Cheers

There was no knocking sound that I could hear afterwards. Didn't want to run the engine for more than a couple seconds incase somthing was up.

Will check everything out today and see if there is any damage.

Ordered an oil restrictor and some fittings for a head drain last night so it will be done before motor goes back in. Going to check out sump options now.

Cheers

Forget the "head drain" - read the last 10 or so pages (or the whole thread if you have time to kill) of the oil control thread: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/110680-oil-control-in-rbs-for-circuit-drag-or-drift/?&hl=sk+oil+control

I don't see a problem with the bearings or the cap. Looks fine with no actual significant wear.

I would check the pump for issues but if its fine I would put the car back together with a good aftermarket oil pressure gauge (assuming you were basing the reading off the OEM gauge).

Just replace it. Bearings are worth stuff all and well worth being changed given the motor is out.

With regard to the rest of the motor, if you can afford it rebuild it if you plan to continue drifting it as its a pretty destructive sport. The engine will need to be rebuilt sooner or later so why not do it now ;)

how do you know the oil pressure was down? what if the gauge was having a hissy fit ?

Honestly I don't, I bought a new gauge anyway and will most likely run them both.

Forget the "head drain" - read the last 10 or so pages (or the whole thread if you have time to kill) of the oil control thread: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/110680-oil-control-in-rbs-for-circuit-drag-or-drift/?&hl=sk+oil+control

Had a good read of all of it.

I've already got the fittings to do it, even if it just acts as a sump breather then it's better than nothing.

I don't see a problem with the bearings or the cap. Looks fine with no actual significant wear.

I would check the pump for issues but if its fine I would put the car back together with a good aftermarket oil pressure gauge (assuming you were basing the reading off the OEM gauge).

Thanks man, new bearings are sitting here ready to go on tomorrow anyway. Pump is off tomorrow too. Would like to replace it but will see what it's like.

Just replace it. Bearings are worth stuff all and well worth being changed given the motor is out.

With regard to the rest of the motor, if you can afford it rebuild it if you plan to continue drifting it as its a pretty destructive sport. The engine will need to be rebuilt sooner or later so why not do it now ;)

Bearings are getting done tomorrow.

I'd love to do a rebuild but it's a large expense I can't afford at the moment. I will of course one day, just hoping to get what I can out of it now before I take that path.

Destructive is an understatement.

Thanks For the input!