SAU Community

Blowing Intercooler Pipes

What about the heat when spot welding the clamps like above?

Sorry but I think thats a bit overkill. My clamps have held 30psi no problems and only half my pipes have beads on them.

What about the heat? Yes the spot welder does heat the material when its welded, but it doesn't distort the clamp. They look a lot more "factory" than a big agricultural hose clamp too IMO.

I've found that its not only internal pressure that blows hoses off. Its also on a quick drop back on the throttle where the bov's don't open enough to release the pressure. I'd estimate a 50psi spike can happen easily under those circumstances.

I think that provided it looks neat, there is no such thing as too much overkill. Most modifications done to improve cars performance often results in a decrease in reliability.

Edited by GTRNUR

Certainly overkill for most but that's definitely using the ol grey matter to overcome the pipes popping off under pressure - thanks

( the spot welding could be done off the car)

As for the question of clamp size you will need to measure.

I meant the heat affecting the silicone/rubber hose rather then the clamp.

It's probably not an issue but theres always a chance

My old clamps were a bit better then the ones I have now, they were a bit thinner but still the same design

OLD:

2012-01-14151530.jpg

NEW:

20140119_103103_zpsxzhyoh8s.jpg

Realisticly as long as the joiners and pipework are nice and clean then you shouldnt have to many issues. I just like the T-bolt clamps because they grip a bit tighter. I have stainless pipes so distorting the pipework isnt a big issue for me

Linking the clamps as previously stated is a good idea. If your going to go to the trouble of beading/barbing pipe connections, why not go that one step further while its all apart & weld on bosses on each connection, fabricate brackets & bolt the pipe connections together, then you will never have them blow off again....

• 5 months later...

Are you referring to this? What do you mean by putting a bead on the pipe?

No this:

"As for the question of clamp size you will need to measure.." .posted 22/01/2014

Are you really forgetful or have you been drinking? Read the whole thread again in the morning.

• Like 2