SAU Community

Rental Property Suggestions - Brisbane

StretchGSK

Hi

So we finally made the move to QLD and staying in a temporary apartment in the GC.

As my job is in Brisbane I'm on the lookout for a rental property in Brisbane.

If anyone has any contacts for a GTR and cat friendly rental property please let me know.

Or perhaps knows of a good rental agent.

So far we have shortlisted:

Paddington

Newfarm

Westend (where my job is)

Toowong

Moorooka

Fortitude Vally (although on closer inspection there looks to be a lot of crime in the Valley so its off the list)

Bulimba

Open to other suggestions.

Thanks

Stretch

Finding a pet friendly apartment in those areas with a garage is near impossible. If you're working in West End, how are you getting in and out each day? Drive? Train? Bus? From memory, public transport heading there isn't the greatest.

Depending on budget, maybe try a little further out West? Taringa? Yeronga? Rocklea? Coorparoo wouldn't be too bad either.

The radius that you're looking at is really full and limits the accommodation of the GTR.

Yeah, there are a lot of new apartments being built in West End but as Tony said they won't be pet friendly. Broaden your area and you may be able to find an older house with a garage and pets, all depends how much you're willing to pay.

Thanks for the input chaps.

I will have a look at those areas now Tony.

There is a real jump in quality between $500 and $650/700 per week.

Its a lot of cash, but some of you may be familiar with the saying "happy wife, happy life"

Hi, check out raas.com.au. They have a few of the wool store apartments around the Tenerife area - next to new farm and less crime than the Valley. I lived in one with my GTR, secured complex parking and pet friendly. Also the bus (199) goes straight to west end

Edited by choyda

what type of property are you after?

house or apartment?this will dictate the area, as some areas are more apartment oriented, where as others have houses with yards etc.

rooms, cost etc?

Man what a tiring/stressful day driving all over Brisbane looking at rentals yesterday.

choyda I am actually after 2 garages so that seem to put the wool store apartments out of my price range.

But have added it to the search.

Anyone here live in The Valley?

Is the crime (car related specifically) really as bad as the stats make it seem?

Would you guy call a garage under a Queenslander style house, where the walls are made out of slats of wood with gaps in-between... SECURE?

Its probably ok but as I am originally from South Africa where a garage like that would just be to easy to get into.

At least it will not have any sideways rain to content with like it would in Wellington NZ :-)

As we have just arrive in QLD we are keen to stay near to the city as possible, which is why we are not yet looking further out.

And after seeing a number of older style houses yesterday it is looking like and apartment or townhouse would suit us better

And not just because I would prefer to bath the GTR than cut the grass...

So I know we have a really specific and long list of requirements which is gonna make it harder.

But we have a mate that is likely to move in with us so might have to up the budget slightly.

Cadmoon I will certainly be joining the club as soon as she is on the road.

Man what a tiring/stressful day driving all over Brisbane looking at rentals yesterday.

choyda I am actually after 2 garages so that seem to put the wool store apartments out of my price range.

But have added it to the search.

Anyone here live in The Valley?

Is the crime (car related specifically) really as bad as the stats make it seem?

Would you guy call a garage under a Queenslander style house, where the walls are made out of slats of wood with gaps in-between... SECURE?

Its probably ok but as I am originally from South Africa where a garage like that would just be to easy to get into.

At least it will not have any sideways rain to content with like it would in Wellington NZ :-)

As we have just arrive in QLD we are keen to stay near to the city as possible, which is why we are not yet looking further out.

And after seeing a number of older style houses yesterday it is looking like and apartment or townhouse would suit us better

And not just because I would prefer to bath the GTR than cut the grass...

So I know we have a really specific and long list of requirements which is gonna make it harder.

But we have a mate that is likely to move in with us so might have to up the budget slightly.

Cadmoon I will certainly be joining the club as soon as she is on the road.

No garage is truly 'secure', it is fairly easy to cut through the side of a shed/roller door.

You might be able to find apartments with 2 car spaces but you will be moving up in the price bracket.

Sounds good, hopefully we'll see you at some club events.

What you're looking for in those areas isn't going to be particularly cheap.

I live in Toowong and most (read all) units/appartments won't have two garages and still be sub $600 a week in rent. I live in a house and that's only one garage space. Most houses are due to the time period they were built in again. Anything with two will tend to be more modern and therefore be expensive again.

Food for thought.

Try Coorparoo, Morning side and Greenslopes- should be able to get a place there reasonably priced and still quite close to the city and just follow Stanley rd/Vulture St to get to West End