SAU Community

How Tight...?

C4a0s

do you tighten your wheel nuts? By hand or by torque wrench? :action-smiley-069:

just wondering...esp for the R32s and R33s...

seems the torque settings can be rather different for different cars depending on how much interference the wheel stud splines have

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always tighten by hand, sometimes loosen with rattle gun.

Aftermarket steel nuts should be O.K. I've seen aluminium etc nuts that dont like as much torque, because obviously its a softer metal

yea... aluminium nuts would shear off...i used abt 80-85nm when i was using mcgard wheel nuts which are really good and light. fully longitudinal engagement.

but stay away from their fancy lock nuts though... the flower pattern on the top would shear the nut even when tightening by hand. broke 2, wrote in, got them replaced but have just kept them in the drawer since...

I have been using RAYS Al. Nuts for years, always tighten them up to around 90Nm via a torque wrench.

I have had an apprentice at a tyre shop try to tighten up one with a rattle gun. Went from a hex to a circle pretty quickly, luckily I have plenty of spares :)

:blink: omg...

how did they manage to loosen it ?

Well, I didn't notice until I got home, so I ended up hammering on a 16mm or a 5/8" socket and loosening it off that way.

I haven't been back to that particular tyre fitter in 5 years

At work we tighten standard nuts to 110nm and al nuts to 80, up loosely till wheel is seated and a little pressure with the rattle gun then with torque wrench