SAU Community

Mattz 96 33Gtst Build

So got the front mount intercooler all installed today. when i first received it i was like this looks a bit too small. but once i had it next to the old stock one. yea its not that small.

20140816_104901_zpsc8f22efa.jpg

Wasnt to bad of a install had to cut the plastic diffuser bit up on the front bar. and had to take a little smidge out of the reo that is not visible anyways for it to fit infront of the intercooler. but heres a couple of photos of todays efforts.

20140816_104417_zps9af9df63.jpg

and the final product. photo tomorrow of how it looks with the front bar on.

20140816_112541_zpsd92fca58.jpg

If i had more time i would of done my fuel pump aswell. but my birthday was last week and my girlfriend got me a 3 lap hot lap with the v8s v8 supercar racers at calder. f**k me they can drive. what an experiance and fun it was.

• 2 weeks later...

So on the weekend i installed my Fuel pump and also got another shot of the front mount. need to straighten it a bit.
:S

Old vs new fuel pump. funny how something so much smaller can flow double maybe neally triple the amount of fuel.

20140817_141637_zps9a111dca.jpg

And heres the shot of the intercooler again.
Want to get some mesh to go infront of it to prevent any rocks ect flying into it probably go with silver mesh to blend it in.

20140817_145003_zps8afa320d.jpg

And then i picked up my new OEM coilpacks and Stainless hi flow cat thursday so next weekend looks liek ill be installing my 3" front and dump and my Hi flow cat. cant wait.
also installing the new OEM coilpacks. was going to go splitfires. but after alot of convincing and people telling me new oem are the go i decided with OEM

10406370_906139516067732_849150757269328

So i had 2 horus to kill after work today before i had to pick up the missus. so i decided to stay back at work and put my R33 on the Pit.

Out with the old
20140829_182517_zpsfd8ee87c.jpg

But nbot so easy of course knowing my luck even with some spray of rost off which i love and works a treat at work(diesel mechanic)

I managed to snap the 2 middle dump pipe bolts.

20140829_173524_zpsece95f02.jpg\

Luckily for me on the little bit of thread my vice grips got out. but didnt manage to get out the longer one. so i tryed a stud removing tool which worked a treat.

and in with the New

20140829_182409_zps42eea8a6.jpg

and as all us young blokes do i had to start it up with no exhaust on.

heres a quick video. didnt really want to rev it too hard incase it shot flames as i know it could possibly. do so especially with no O2 sensor hooked up ect might run richer? not sure but oh well. heres the sound of a tractor.

http://vid112.photobucket.com/albums/n170/mattzuydam/20140829_173424_zpsb5c628a9.mp4

So i also got a decent look underneath the car today. looks liek ill need to rekit/get a new steering rack. as 1 side is leaking oil slowly. and also ill need to re seal my 2 rocker covers as the passenger side one is weaping oil out.

When i do this im thinking about painting the covers also. few colors in mind. will keep everyone posted :D

Oh also. not common with the backlash and shaft play of car turbos. but im pretty sure any End play is bad on a turbo. but as the dump was off i felt the shaft and end play.

From feel id say the shaft play feels normal small amount. But the end play id say is atleast 1-2mm maybe not sure. but its obviously noticeable by feel. not tiny

Anyone shed some light on this as im not sure weather my turbos on tis way out or they should have a smidge end play and smidge shaft play.

As i know at work the Volvo turbos always have shaft play. no end play but some the smaller turbos on the smaller engines. have small amount of end play. not sure if this is to allow for expansion and maybe when the turbo is hot there is no play? but not 100% sure. thanks

So today i got busy again at work. heres a quick snap of my toolbox and car. :D

20140830_135515_zpsbe0fd441.jpg

And here are the goodies i am working with today.

Full Rocker cover gasket seal kits.
All new screw rubbers
2 x half moons.
and the 2 main gaskets of course
and 1 x oil filler cap o ring

Also my new OEm coilpacks

And a nice purple paint that ill be using.

20140830_153820_zps6d8b635b.jpg

So first of i of course stripped everything, cleaned and preped the covers and coil pack cover for paint. i then done a base coat of mettalic silver.

Everything stripped down. also visible in the picture is my temporary coil pack fix

20140830_153618_zps22e200f6.jpg

And all primed up

20140830_153422_zps1c2a6af6.jpg

After 3 coats of this i then layed down the first 2 coats of purple.

20140830_165301_zps78d8e8b1.jpg

Very nice color in the sun light.

Too bad once i had everything put back together it was 6:30 and pitch black so these 2 photos dont do it any justice and look pretty bad. so will post a better pciture later on. also the Timing gear cover will also be purple. and i am getting all new in bay stainless piping done shortly. followed by pollishing of the plenum and throttle body.

Then cleaning up the engine bay all hoses wiring ect.

Especially relocating the charcoal canister and the car alarm horn where i am very upset of the location it was put in....

Final pics.

with just my phones flash..

20140830_181745_zpsaa1ab0f7.jpg

20140830_181751_zps7f650d6b.jpg

20140903_070053_zpsd03ae6bc.jpg

engine bay atm purple good or no? need to paint the timing cover too. but yea.

OVER my missfire cant fix it dont know where else to look now.
Done fuel pump
Brand new OEM coilpacks
New spark plugs were at 1.1mm
Now gapped to .8
new afm
ONLY other thing i can think of is loom and CAS but if it was loom youd think itd misssfire more often not just at about 5.5k and up? any suggestions? no boost elaks everythigns tight and on securly.

Most times misfires are directly related to coils. Not that this case will be the same but yes, coils usually the case. Don't do temporary fixes on them as it very rarely fixes the issue. A new set is required. Don't fall for the new factory coils in factory packaging but ridiculously cheap. They are not real. Just get Splitfires like 11,000,000 others have done. Know what it feels like to rev to redline without a hicup.

• Like 1

colour classic i already know all this. and if you actually read my build you would find out i ran out of time by the time i realised it was up too high. and also angled..

thanks for your input though.

and i know its terrible. luckily its hardly driven.

as its not regoed or anything. just locked away.

i will fix it all up when i got more spare time on a weekend. all my missfire trouble shootings been going on for 30 mins after work... no time to pull a front bar off and adjust the cooler ect ect.

Just shows no one actually reads here.

Edited by MathewZ

Dude the build's coming along really nicely. So many people love to nitpick shit on this forum rather than talk up the good bits, it's farken annoying.

I think you're doing a great job and you should keep at it but unfortunately I don't have any ideas on the misfire :( Purple looks good and i'm jealous of your toolbox :)

Yea thanks everyone.

HAHA yea i love my toolbox. not how much its costed em though :(

Missfire fixed as i suspected. yesterday after some more research for hours. it turns out it must of been ECu R+R fitted back up the stock soloniod to run 4-7 psi. runs no problems revs right out no.

Guess my ECU didnt like the 10psi... unless it had something to do with the way i had my Tee hooked up. it was hooked up IC piping. Tee then wastegate. but i had both the other lines still on the stock solonoid. i ahd the one with the tee peice hanging there and the other one that goes from the top line to the BOV return line still all hooked up. maybe this was a problem? as the soloin was receiving no boost pressure. but it was all hooked up and plugged in so the ecu was saying hang on im not controlling any pressure but its getting 10psi? lets retard.?

im not sure all i knw is its fixed and pulls like a train(as in no broad minded personter miss or anything)

So re adjusted my intercooler lowerd it more and moved over a bit. but this si as far over as i can go will annoy me but i cant without remkaing more custom brackets to slide it over 1 inch. or cut the existing bracket and get it re welded 1 inch over im not going to that much hassle so thisll be fine going to put some mesh infront of it. and leave it be.

atleast majority of the surface is now visible.

20140912_180741_zpsda7db3c3.jpg

shoudl of waited 1 more week for the blitz one and not opped for the copy of the blitze. oh well.

So today i finished of the engine covers and got to check on the timing belt to see if it had been done. and is a Bosch branded belt so im guessing it m ust of been done around the 100k mark which is good and theres still heaps of tension on it.

heres the covers not sure if im happy with them or not may think of going a candy red? color or something. will see later this week when my engine bay pipe work is finished.

here is a quick photo.

20140914_140547-Copy_zps57b96091.jpg

Also when i installed the 400lph pump i later found out a relay should be installed giving the pump direct feed from the battery so this was done today. got just a basic horn relay as suggested. just need some conjute for the wires going to the pump. and drill a little hole to run them in instead of under the plate and getting squished.

Other than that ill post a photo soon of the engine bay with all new pipe work to the plenum.

Anyone got a suggestion on how to polish up the plenum?

heres the relay install.

20140914_132256-Copy_zps37dcc696.jpg

So ive sent my car into Forced motorworx to get my in bay pipe work made up. very happy with it apart from them completly removing my BOV without asking me. so im gonna need to get someone to put it in somehow and recirc it as as much as i love the very loud Flutter it makes. i think id look like a bit of a tool considering it flutters every gear change even when you try to go slowly haha.

Got no idea what color silicon i should go so they just did black with a blue pod filter. to match my other blue hoses. please shed some light on if it looks good blue make it all blue or go all black or leave it how it is.

this weekend or the next im going to polish up the pipes make them all shiney. and also my mate at works dad is going to make me a custom made stainless steel air box to utilise the factory stile air filter. as id rather this than a pod. that will happen in the next few weeks. and i need to either paint or polish my intake plenum. i tried sanding it then giving a quick piolish in a little square wasnt gonna work out need to find out how or get someone to do it haha.

anyways heres some pictures.

I still need some new front coilovers or stock ones.

20140922_065456_zps83429ff7.jpg

20140922_065503_zps99bebcf7.jpg

Also think i need a new cas. as i put it back to were i took it out when i painted my covers as i marked it with texter. but i have been told its advanced too much. was put in the proper spot were it should be and the car missfires at 4k and up so its weird. think the cas is on its way out. as it runs perfect were i have it set but apparently its set wrong so not sure on this.