SAU Community

Just Went For A Spin In A Tesla Model S

So, going into The Star today and noticed what initially looked like a new Jag - the front and back were obscured by posts, so don't get upset at that mistake! :)

A new Tesla Model S!

Amazing looking car, had some serious presence just sitting out the front. After a minute or two a young bloke comes over to chat to me about it, he was the Tesla rep.

It is one of 4 in the country and they are doing test drives out of The Star at the moment because they dont have a Sydney office. He asked if we wanted to go for a spin around the block.

He didn't have to ask twice.

Two things grabbed my attention when I got in, the first was the massive screen in the middle. I'm writing this on a 22" monitor and if it was flipped on its side I reckon it'd be similar in size. All controls in the car are performed through this screen and it has user profiles to set the car up just the way you like it (screen display, climate control, seat position etc.)

The second thing was that this felt very much like a German car. The doors 'thud' when they close, the interior finish was impeccable, the leather was gorgeous - I had expected something of a luxury Jeep kind of interior and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Silence! Absolute silence! Seriously eery to have such little noise - especially from a car with some serious poke.

As with any decent rep, he gave it a bit of a squirt and jeezuzz .. I didn't know what to say! 0-100 in 4-point-something seconds he said, but it felt so much quicker because of the immense torque! 310kw and 600+ nm of torque! And the bloody thing still isn't making any noise!

Anyway, some pics from me and my mates phones. Bummed I didn't have a proper camera.

gallery_3_5684_300081.jpg

gallery_3_5684_319153.jpg

gallery_3_5684_1170777.jpg

gallery_3_5684_381021.jpg

gallery_3_5684_457074.jpg

$185k as it sits but he said the base model will start from $100k which I reckon is pretty good.

• Like 1

Nice, but I'd want to tick all the option boxes pushing the price up ...

Very nice looking car.

I drove the Model S at the star and it was damn quick. We were cruising along the Anzac bridge and the rep said to tap it to the floor quickly, which I was all too happy doing. The faster you put your foot down the faster it picks up.

The max torque at all speeds made for an incredible rolling pickup of speed. It would have to rival most cars in the same price range for response.

Besides the instant torque, it also doesn't need to shift down a gear or 3 in order to maximize acceleration.

I agree with the impression of finishes and inclusions. Was very roomy, with 2 boots, a panoramic roof and a great steering wheel.

You can cover the whole interior in alcanatra and carbon which would look awesome.

I'm actually going to drive it again with a relative tomorrow.

For the equivalent E or 5 I think you're getting something way cooler, faster and more unique in the Model S.

Tesla have also priced the car equivalent to the US price adjusting for shipping, FX and local taxes and that's it. None of the gigantic marking up conducted by most other manufacturers.

• Like 1

For the equivalent E or 5 I think you're getting something way cooler, faster and more unique in the Model S

Agreed.

Although, that being said I am still not convinced that electric is the way to go (I'm much more interested in fuel cells - hydrogen) and I have no idea what the reliability is going to be like.

I wonder from a 'wise' dollar investment point of view, what the depreciation will be like on this?

Might other manufacturers come out with a competitive "undercut" which then termites the Tesla S's value?

Depreciation rates in the US have been similar to the comparable euro cars, which isn't great.

In Australia, Tesla will be such a low volume manufacturer that I doubt the competition here would give themselves a haircut when they're probably booking a 30-50% premium to "fair value" currently.

It's just scary how much luxury car tax adds to the whole equation. It's about ~$20k on a $180k car. Scam!

310kw?? 428hp is 319kw at wheels, so it's making more then advertised power. Wonder how much it's making at the generator/s before the transmission and what loss it has. Seen a video where one of these in awd does 0-100 in 3.8 secs.