SAU Community

Buying A Car In Act (Interstate)

ACT32

Hi SAU,

I am new to AUS and ACT so I need some advice with regards to owning a car in ACT. I would like to purchase a R32 GTR here in ACT as a weekend or occasional work car(mostly to restore and work on it as the kids gets older). I have looked online as availability and few have caught my attention and have some questions I hope you can answer for me.

Q1. what is the process involved when purchasing a car here in AUS (and interstate and registering in ACT)?

Q2. if the car is not registered in its current state can the car be bought and registered in ACT?

Q3. Recommended companies to do a car history / condition (number match) / financial check

Q4. From what I rad, for imports/modified cars ACT owners are required to take the car to Dickson VIS. I am happy to do so but I have also read that the car needs to be in its original condition. this can be an issue as most previous owners of a 20 year old GTR would have done some modifications to their car.

Q5. Is there a special category when registering a car over 20 years that avoids a comprehensive inspection for registration.

Q6. I have seen some classic cars with club plates and registration. if I buy a interstate car can it be registered via a ACT Skyline club?

Q7. if I buy a car that is registered in ACT do I still need to get a vehicle identity check and inspected via Dickson VIS?

Q8. ideally I would like a 94-92 version with 80-150k on the clock, how much would I expect to pay for a car in good condition?

Q9. any ACT owners want to sell there car ?

I think those are the questions I have for now and I am sure I will have more soon enough.

any help is much appreciated.

Hi Cham, I noticed you posted this morning and as yet no-one has responded :( that is sad! (bunch of lay about's)

Questions / Answers

Q1. what is the process involved when purchasing a car here in AUS (and interstate and registering in ACT)?

A.1 ALL JDM's musty go over Dickson when Change of ownership

Q2. if the car is not registered in its current state can the car be bought and registered in ACT?

A.2 Yes and as per above (must comply to ACT regs.

Q3. Recommended companies to do a car history / condition (number match) / financial check

A3. Each state has someone like NRMA or RTA to do a condition and financial check and let you know the results (including if it could be registered in your chosen state and a basic what would need to be done).

- car history will be difficult if nigh impossible. The seller may tell you what they know but remember they are trying to sell.

With new Imports I would use JOC

Q4. From what I rad, for imports/modified cars ACT owners are required to take the car to Dickson VIS. I am happy to do so but I have also read that the car needs to be in its original condition. this can be an issue as most previous owners of a 20 year old GTR would have done some modifications to their car.

A4. Not absolutely correct. Original condition - not necessarily. E.g Pod filters if secured correctly are legal.

Q5. Is there a special category when registering a car over 20 years that avoids a comprehensive inspection for registration.

A5. NO

Q6. I have seen some classic cars with club plates and registration. if I buy a interstate car can it be registered via a ACT Skyline club?

A6. No. We are not a registered club per se'

Q7. if I buy a car that is registered in ACT do I still need to get a vehicle identity check and inspected via Dickson VIS?

A7. Yes. But not an individual Vehicle Identity Check. This will be done as part of the Inspection.

Q8. ideally I would like a 94-92 version with 80-150k on the clock, how much would I expect to pay for a car in good condition?

A9. Depends on your definition of good. Appx $22k for a base good one (more for a nice one :) )

Q9. any ACT owners want to sell there car ?

A9. SAUérs will see this post and respond

As above with what S!N said.

There actually isn't a heap of 32 GTR's in canberra (that are on SAU) would be good to see another one (active as well) :yes:

Me, S!N, Kat, Kyle, and Jimmy.

Best bet for a 32 Is Sydney man.

I'll just state the obvious just to make sure you are aware, Expect a GTR cost to at least double from what you pay for it. If you can't afford two don't buy one (or in Kyles case buy two anyway). :cheers: Seen too many GTRs parted out these days its depressing from people over budgeting themselves.

Edit: don't know why i didn't see this earlier :\ I'm not lazy S!n

Edited by Anfanee

i could see it being more expensive for them to get them from here so I can't see it being viable... Also depends what their import laws are I guess.

They have a very healthy car scene there regardless. Should see the Coffee and Cars I went to in Irvine... Hooooly shit.

Thank you for your information.

I have come across two cars, both in NSW. they are 94 model and wanting around the 15k mark. I have made them offers already and waiting to hear back from them.

Are there only 5 32s in ACT(SAU members)? That's a small number. I have seen a Silver 32 in Tuggeranong/ Woden area on my way to work. Does that belong to anyone here?

Kat, when you said expect the cost to double did you imply due to modifications? or ..

I am not sure what my plans are, I like the idea of a original car, but then again I wouldn't say no to 300rwkw either.

Who works on your car as in who would you recommend in ACT for engine work and tuning?

I have come across two cars, both in NSW. they are 94 model and wanting around the 15k mark. I have made them offers already and waiting to hear back from them.

Kat, when you said expect the cost to double did you imply due to modifications? or ..

I am not sure what my plans are, I like the idea of a original car, but then again I wouldn't say no to 300rwkw either.

What they mean is that if you buy a 15K GTR you will end up paying 30K (at least) over the next couple of years in servicing, repairs and mods.

The other thing to remember is that you will probably end up buying a daily too (if you haven't already got one), so factor a second set of rego/insurance into it.

They are stupidly expensive to maintain to a high level. I had one when I was much younger and to be honest it almost broke me :unsure:

Yeah there is only about 5 or 6. Rest are not on sau. Prices to buy r32 should go up from America. Prices of Japan will go up and drive our prices up.

As far as workshops take your pick..

Esp, ultimate tunes, autotech or Trojan.

So personally I see the options are

1. Import a really good one. Auction grade 4b. Everything under that grade is a lucky dip. Cost = $30k+

2. Buy one for $15k to $22k and make it reliable yourself. All up cost $30 to $50k+

3. Buy one that is in country and has had a lot of dollars spent on it (with evidence and from a trustworthy source). Cost $30k+ (money spent on it $50k upto $80k-$100k)

When you have a nice 32GTR as someone mentioned above you will need a daily shitter.

Reasons being theft, vandalism, accidents, when they're in the shop (and it will be) and to avoid car park dents.

Major and engine work/rebuilds go interstate is the general rule

Everything else choose who you end up trusting.

As mentioned - Trojan Motorsports, ESP, Autotech, Ultimate