SAU Community

From Performance Car To 'normal' Car

Spend how much on a old Jap mass produced car that you are not happy with, not what I would call good sense, how much are they worth now?.

There are lots of options out there for having your cake and eating it, Small = Toy 86/BRZ/Audi TT, Med = Nis 350Z ect ect, pissing money away isn't one.

I spent a bucket (>50k) on my old boat over the years, made >500hp fasted 2wd at Nats, in the end sold for about 14k.

I got jack of it breaking all the time, eating gearboxs, and heavy on consumables, fuel was about 25l/100k.

But I drove it as a daily because it was fun and I'm not going to have a good car sitting in the garage whilst I drive a taxi, that would be like not screwing your missus because you don't want to wear her out.

Plus I'm having more fun in a 80kw car that has cost less than 10k to get sorted ATM, handles like a go kart, great on fuel, doesn't break stuff.

Plus I'm having more fun in a 80kw car that has cost less than 10k to get sorted ATM, handles like a go kart, great on fuel, doesn't break stuff.

Yeh I pushed that barrow at the start of this thread, but it seems that the OP is more interested in arbitrary straight line performance specs than actually having fun in a car
  • Like 1

If you build a car with selling it in mind , you are nuts! Sometimes it just has to be sold and you will loose $$$$$$$$$$$$$s :(

Hobbies are expensive and time consuming but very enjoyable, most of the time :)

You could have been chucking schooners down your neck and pissing it up against the wall = $$$$$$$$$$$ GONE :(

But to have a car you can track if you want and have fun on the road as a DD, you have it made.

If you are to use your car as a DD you need good response and the more responsive the better,easy clutch, good rubber and brakes. You can drive them slow and the fuel takes care of itself and go hard when you feel like it and watch the needle drop:/

These Rs were built to drive, if you cannot have fun with a car like this, you do not like driving :)

Ended up buying a 2011 Mazda MPS.

Funny story though...Went to leave and I got locked in because they had pulled the bollards up. Lucky I'm quite a light hearted person. So currently my 33 is in the car yard blocked in with the other cars so they can't get to my rims until Monday 70km away from where I live and I'm currently driving a 2011 SS they lent me from their yarduntil Monday. They're really going out on a limb, they'll get heavily fined if I get caught speeding, crash it or whatever...

Edited by Dani Boi

It's black and in very good condition. Some very minor scratches outside and it has some gutter rash but he's getting that fixed for me. I went and saw two, the other one was a white 2012 model so it had xenon headlights, 10 speaker bose system and some other wanky features, it was also $7000 more with slightly more k's so I couldn't justify that much money for those features. Plus by the time I got the extended warranty the black one was hitting my upper limit of what I wanted to pay anyway.

OP, yes I have.. from a 180SX with a RB20DET back in 2004 to a Pulsar.. made me sad, lasted about 5 months then bought a R33 S2, spent more money again to make 250kW (was the shit back then) then sold it... moved to an Accord V6 (power/torque).. was happy for about 1 year or so.. then go really sad.. bought my current R33 S2 shit box and have spent triple the car's value on mods.

Then not long ago, just occurred to me.. a C63 AMG would solve all my problems... minus the fact the price tag is $80k

You could not get the R33 to get going after spending $40K + odd ?

Well I didn't spend that much LOL

Car and parts owes me 19k to date.

But it just feels cheap, I've driven a nice 330 BMW and it just feels light years ahead however not fast. I can't imagine how a fast would feel.

I think R33s or Skylines in general have lost their aurora as such because now they're affordable by the public who once seeked performance in the VN/VP commodore sector

I understand what you are saying, My 350GT was a much better car to drive, well as a DD.

I was totally disappointed with my R34GTR and working on it now to get it how I want it to drive. Not cheap but will be interesting to see if it lives up to my expectations once it is finished :)

I will never daily a boring car again, you only live once, why have a sporty car sitting in the garage, they are not investments, all it is doing is losing money.

My 2 cents is buy the sportiest car you can afford and drive the pants off it.

I like cars and I like driving to much to sit in some POS and be a commuter.

This is all good and well Mark, but running costs of a Built GTR are ridiculous as I'm sure your aware of.

My 32 use to be my daily and my weekend car, but since it busted itself

And I had to purchase the VT I've realised it's ok to have a thrasher for the week and keep the GTR for the weekend.

1 I can leave it in the sun and not care

2 I can hit the curb when I park and not care

3 I don't have to service the Kent as much

4 I don't need to clean it as much

5 it uses heaps less fuel then the GTR

6 driving the commodore on a regular basis makes it that much more special when you do finally plonk your ass in the drivers seat of the GTR on the weekend :)

Otherwise if not for those things I would always drive the GTR

You sir need a HKS V Cam setup with a nice modern twin scroll turbo on E85 :)

I still think GTRs still have that "aurora" just the GTS-ts have gone to shit with the wrong people owning them and turning them into floating turd boats.

V cam would be good, but the cams he currently has are an excellent cam.. By them selves his current cams shit on the HKS item.

Of course once v cam is switched on the hks item easily surpasses the UE cams. In an ideal world we would modify the UE cams to run with v cam but then there would be valve clearance issues due to the massive lift and degrees of swing from the v cam

And you can park the daily where ever you like and know it's will still be there when you get back and not damaged by some jealous prick

This is true... But Kents have still broken my fuel cap to steal fuel.. And knocked off my number plates

Thank fek it wasn't the GTR

Interesting thread.

I originally sold my Skyline after coming to the realisation that I didn't want to spend lots of money doing the usual 20 year maintenance on a car that sat outside in the elements, needed all front and rear bushes replaced, rubbers + 100000km service all at the same time; heavily modified 20 year old import and 80km a day of country roads really took their toll.

Sold car at a huge loss just to be rid of it, bought a Commodore etc etc, happy days. Fast forward to now, it's on the borderline of too modified to really want to daily, and it feels a waste to start it to drive 5km / 10 minutes in third gear.

I'd love to have another shitter to not care about for a work bomb / dog transporter!

I got my mrs a SSS Pulsar (new one) over the MPS due to the almost 20k price difference, fun little car to drive, I imagine it would be even better with sway bars and a tune. Best sports car under 30k IMO (retail is 36k, got ours for 27 without too much negotiating).