SAU Community

From Performance Car To 'normal' Car

I will never daily a boring car again, you only live once, why have a sporty car sitting in the garage, they are not investments, all it is doing is losing money.

My 2 cents is buy the sportiest car you can afford and drive the pants off it.

I like cars and I like driving to much to sit in some POS and be a commuter.

Thats a $ worth and totally agree, I drive my car every day I can, have a great area for a drive and cannot wait for my build to be done so I can do those early morning 100 Klms drives again :)

I don't agree with that.

It's not financially viable to be driving a skyline as a daily.

Take me for example. I drive a minimum of 600km a week. That is a full tank of fuel in my poosar.

The gtr Will do that on about 1 1/2 a tank. The gtr tank is much bigger than my poosar. With rising fuel prices, the more economical car is the go.

Then we have servicing and upkeep. It's much cheaper to change the oil and filter on the daily. Let alone not having to worry about anything else that decides to Mark it with that many km a week and the growing age of the vehicle.

Parts are much cheaper on a daily. I just replaced the clutch on my pulsar and the clutch cost me $150.

With stop start traffic and a button clutch, I don't want to be replacing that every 2/3 years.

I've dailied the gtr before and I won't ever do it again, you lose interest in the car and don't appreciate it the way you do when you only drive it a every so often.

But financially it's a nightmare, costs to much in fuel, get to much attention from police despite not doing anything wrong and being a 22 year old car now the servicing cost for wear and tear parts mounts up quickly

Dan, Couple of questions:

1) What is your definition of performance? If you're chasing sub 6 sec 0-100 (ie straight line acceleration) then you'll be disappointed in any of the current hot hatches on the market. Personally I reckon a good measure of performance is lap times around a track, and any of the options I gave in my first post will be pretty handy at a race track. In fact, I'd wager they would all give your R33 a shake up around a track (depending on the spec of your current car, that is). Based on that, these cars still make a hell of a lot of sense. Maybe you need to drive one before dismissing them completely. In fact, on slippery stuff (khana, autocross) I'd say even my focus has a better than even chance of being quicker than your R33. Don't underestimate the value of late braking and cornering speed

Rolling acceleration of the mazda 3 mps would beat most rb25s that still have the stock turbo. And less lag, more torque, better comfort and less police attention. I'd buy one tomorrow if I had the money.

There are lots of little 4 banger pocket rockets out there with good fuel economy, the daily doesn't have to be a boring boat.

They don't even need a lot of power, the little 5 has about 7hp but handles better than any car I have owned.

I actually prefer driving it over my old 500hp Skyline which I used for daily, drag and track duties.

I would love a newish 86 with some handling mods for the daily shuffle and weekend fun, cheap to run, fun around the track and burbs and doesn't break or send you broke on parts.

I don't agree with that.

It's not financially viable to be driving a skyline as a daily.

Take me for example. I drive a minimum of 600km a week. That is a full tank of fuel in my poosar.

The gtr Will do that on about 1 1/2 a tank. The gtr tank is much bigger than my poosar. With rising fuel prices, the more economical car is the go.

Then we have servicing and upkeep. It's much cheaper to change the oil and filter on the daily. Let alone not having to worry about anything else that decides to Mark it with that many km a week and the growing age of the vehicle.

Parts are much cheaper on a daily. I just replaced the clutch on my pulsar and the clutch cost me $150.

With stop start traffic and a button clutch, I don't want to be replacing that every 2/3 years.

Yeah I'm the same. Driving 730kms a week to and from work. Went from a vt wagon getting just under 9l/100kms to the mirage getting just over 6l/100kms. I'm saving about $30 a week on fuel (about $1500 a year) and only pay 4cyl rego instead of 6cyl rego. Both the Commodore and mirage had over 200,000kms when I bought them and I only paid $3500 each and have spent bugger all on them. It's also amazing how far you get out of a set of tyres when you only do highway driving (will probably have to change the timing belt more often than tyres)

I understand about the extra fuel cost and just using the car as a sports drive, some with no Rego or insurance. I also know these cars can be very hard on the pocket and it depends how deep your pockets are, but I do not understand about getting sick of the GTR. If it is built as a strong DD and then you can still do track or ? driving to get your rocks off on the weekend.

Shit the money blokes spend on these cars is a pretty dumb investment as you will never get it back, poking all sorts of stuff under the bonnet at big $s , 5 minutes later want more HP, so more $s to squeeze a few more HP out of it, all good :)

If you do not have 2 cars to pay for, it would be easier to afford the extra fuel unless the car is built for the track, loud, low and a pig to drive as a DD, otherwise you can cruise as a DD and then bruise when you want to push the peddle :)

I replaced my somewhat loud exhaust with a softer sounding exhaust but with good flow, still sounds OK and apart from admirers no one takes any notice , unless you are hooning and you attract the wrong attention :(

End of the day we do what suits us so we get the best experience from our rides, as for me I want to drive it as much as I can :)

A standard GT-R might be good for daily duties, but one with stiffer suspension, aftermarket bushes/arms, louder exhaust, and 35 series tyres takes it toll on you, specially on crap roads and lots of traffic (e.g. heavy clutch).

The saving you get with fuel alone can lead to more mods ;)

Hi Dan.

I do not understand, you have had your 33 for 8 years that you seem to like and will miss. You do not drive it very much or utilize the go peddle.

What makes you feel you have to sell it, is it laggy and crap to drive in the city or just sick of it ??

If I only had to have one car I would keep my 34.

KEEP IT and be happy :)

Pete

I wouldn't say I'm sick of it, I definitely enjoy the drive but the depreciation is starting to come out and I think for the money I would need to spend to fix the problems is it worth just buying a new car and not having to worry about it? Even if it's only $2000 to fix the problems that could be $2000 I could put towards a new car because I may end up selling in a year, that's how I look at it.

Wheel bearings? Lifetime of vehicle? You've never owned a Subaru, I gather.

But I digress

Dan, Couple of questions:

1) What is your definition of performance? If you're chasing sub 6 sec 0-100 (ie straight line acceleration) then you'll be disappointed in any of the current hot hatches on the market. Personally I reckon a good measure of performance is lap times around a track, and any of the options I gave in my first post will be pretty handy at a race track. In fact, I'd wager they would all give your R33 a shake up around a track (depending on the spec of your current car, that is). Based on that, these cars still make a hell of a lot of sense. Maybe you need to drive one before dismissing them completely. In fact, on slippery stuff (khana, autocross) I'd say even my focus has a better than even chance of being quicker than your R33. Don't underestimate the value of late braking and cornering speed

2) Why do you need a new car? It's nice to be able to write new cars off as a business expense, but buying new really doesn't make good financial sense. If you can go for something 3-5 years old, it will really open up the market to you. Even getting something 1-2 years old can save a few $$, and still give you the balance of new car warranty for peace of mind.

1/ 0-100 in 6 seconds or under is what I would consider performance. I could get that in an EVO IX which has the awd to get me around the bends, under 30k, stylish (imo) and 4 door for a bit more convenience - to me, the ideal car.

2/ Warranty, shouldn't have problems being a new car, newer technology, no depreciation, don't have to worry where you park, better fuel economy don't have to do regular maintenance i.e. dropping oil, spark plugs etc.

It seems most people are saying I will regret it, which is what I was thinking myself.

Edited by Dani Boi

Hi Dan

I am an oldie and I know one thing , if you have been thinking like this for a while, it is time to sell your R and get it over with.

I agree with what's being said here, there are heaps of cars out there that you can get both worlds, more comfort, economy , less attention from the HP and still have a lot of fun :)

Bite the bullet and flog it.

Pete

That's quite a few kms. I am curious how many "lifetime of the vehicle" parts you went through? Like wheel bearings, cv joints, big bushes like subframes etc

No wheel bearings yet,just age related thing bushes,tie rod ends etc.

Did have to get new suspension front and rear got kwb all around nice ride

I need that cause I'm old lol. :-)

I've had my 93 33 for twelve years now clocked up 500000 plus ,

Would I sell it no way,too much fun,lives to short to be bored silly . :-) :-)

Too true :)

One minute you are indestructible next minute you are falling to pieces,haha

Drive them until you cant drive anymore it all comes to quickly :)

Edited by TT350GT
  • Like 1

I daily my 34 it's only a GTT but and its only 15mins to my work and no stop start traffic. Its moderately modified (340rwhp) I only really boost it on the weekends and get about 500km to a tank. Now here is the catch I drive my parents 2010 WRX sometimes yeah its some what quick but it just doesn’t cut it for me. You only get about 500km to a tank in the WRX as well. Servicing on both is about the same as well, personally I love my skyline and it still puts a smile on my face every day I drive it.

Just do what makes you happy life is to short to drive boring cars.

Edited by DoseVader

Friends of mine have the 2014 WRX, it feels pretty snappy driving it around, but it doesn't have that 'surge' like the RB's do when revving it out.

The best daily I've ever had was my standard R32 GTS-t with a NEO turbo. 9L/100km average (no boost until 3krpm helps with economy in traffic funnily enough), comfortable, fun to drive around (yes, standard exhaust and suspension). Shame my dad wrapped it around a pole :(. It even had a factory sunroof :'(.

• Like 1

We did the shift. I spent god-knows-how-many years driving GTR's, Gtst's a 180 and also had a Stag.

I now drive my Bora during the week and the family work horse is a Passat.

So, I think the main thing is that our circumstances changed. I started commuting more and had far less time to enjoy my cars (my last GTR sat unregistered in our garage for 3 months before I realised it had lapsed.) I could commute in a GTR, sure, but it wouldn't be pleasant and the fuel consumption would be a killer (Bora gets 500 from a tank in traffic, Passat is diesel and gets 800-900 in the city.) We're a single wage family atm while my wife finishes uni, so can't afford to spend additional funds on petrol.

The Bora is a v6 4Motion which means its still a little bit of fun and very chuckable. So I can still sneak in a McCarrs Creek Road run every now any then.

So, ultimately, the 'driver' in me can still have a little bit of fun and the 'single wage earner & father' in me has some practicality also.

I'm looking forward to getting back in a GTR at some stage, but now isn't the time.

I daily a GTR and I don't drive very far every day (20km maximum) or over the weekend so I don't add up as many kms as some people do. Fuel economy is crap as expected but I can still enjoy the car while I drive it as I'm only having to fill up roughly every fortnight. Police issues are another thing which really depends on how you drive the car and obviously distances you drive increasing your chances of being pulled over.

Having said that I plan to turn the car into a weekender, buying a second car and doing modifications and restoring the condition (after DD the car you get some scratches) once I graduate. Obviously financial situation is extremely important as others have mentioned, need to have the dollars to be able to run two cars and not sacrifice other important choices.

Don't regret buying the car and waiting till later, have enjoyed the car lots so far and plan to own it for a long time. Shifting to a normal car occasionally feels weird but sometimes its a nice feeling to just enjoy noise free and relaxing drives.

I drive my skyline a 20km round trip to the train station and home 5x a week and use it on the weekend for errands and that's it, I rarely give it the beans.

If you don't drive a huge amount and have $30k to spend, why not just get a cheap but relatively comfortable $15k runabout to do the daily driving duties and keep the 33 for the weekends. Save yourself $15k :)

I agree with others, you'd likely miss going from a performance car to a 'normal' daily driver. My 32 GTR is used as a weekend car only, with an X5 for daily driving... if I had the X5 only I'd go crazy :teehee: