SAU Community

Rb3025 Start Up Oil Pressure Issues

Hey guys,

Recently finished my build and have only clocked about 1,000kms on the new motor.

Having a small issue which has had me baffled for a few weeks now.

My oil pressure light stays on when I start the car and is very lazy to build pressure. I think (on a cold morning) it takes upto 2 seconds for oil pressure to build up. I can also confirm that I hear the hydraulic lifters tapping loudly until the light turns off.

Once the car is on, my oil pressure is fine. Starts off nice and high and reduces to a good level as the oil warms up.

So to clarify, I have absolutely no oil pressure issues once the car is on and I'm driving.

I've tried researching a lot and can't find any decent leads - I'd greatly appreciate if you guys could provide me with some advice on how to resolve this issue!

I'm desperate for help as I'm leaning towards buying an oil accumulator to resolve this issue - i just don't want to blanket cover a deeper problem.

Cheers guys!

What brand of oil filter?

I'm using a k&n oil filter. I was originally using a ryco, I've replaced the oil and the filter. Hasn't made much of a difference to it.

Is... Is this not normal..?

Mine takes about that time, my daily even longer.

I got no idea. My rb25det didn't used to do that though... Plus i reckon it shortens the life of the engine!

what oil you using?

what mods done to engine?

any oil cooler or additional things in oiling system?

what guage?

Oil: royal purple 10w:40

Mods to engine: 40 thou forged Pistons and rods, crank with extended crank collar, n1 oil pump with standard gears, standard oil sump + pickup, cancelled VCT and grub screwed the feed.

Additions to oil system: none at the moment - only thing I did was fit the stock rb25 oil cooler thing to the rb30. Not using an aftermarket oil pressure gauge... Using the shitty stock one at the moment.

I know the stock gauge is inaccurate, but I know the light is accurate because once it turns off, the tappet noises quieten down.

Your oil and filter choice is fine. But the pressure not building up instantly on start up is a problem. You shouldn't be seeing a delay in pressure build up and the light should not come on.

There is definitely some underlying problem and the tappet noise could well be related to it.

Is there anything you may have skimmed over in the build (if you did it yourself) accidentally or some kind of blockage/restriction?

Might want to check the oil cooler is not getting restricted, causing that slight delay in pressure build up.

what is the hot oil pressure reading? your not going to know this with OEM shitty gauge... get yourself an aftermarket one and sus it out. If over all pressure is low or it drops when hot then i'd dare say your bearing clearances are up shit creek

Your oil and filter choice is fine. But the pressure not building up instantly on start up is a problem. You shouldn't be seeing a delay in pressure build up and the light should not come on.

There is definitely some underlying problem and the tappet noise could well be related to it.

Is there anything you may have skimmed over in the build (if you did it yourself) accidentally or some kind of blockage/restriction?

Might want to check the oil cooler is not getting restricted, causing that slight delay in pressure build up.

I built it myself with a mechanic over watching what I did. I don't recall missing anything and I'm not having any blowby issues.

what is the hot oil pressure reading? your not going to know this with OEM shitty gauge... get yourself an aftermarket one and sus it out. If over all pressure is low or it drops when hot then i'd dare say your bearing clearances are up shit creek

Need an aftermarket gauge to tell you the exact pressure, but my oem gauge has similar readings to what I used to have before the rebuild. It seems as though issue is solely on startup but I do plan on getting a mechanical gauge thrown in to test...

Filter drainback valve thingo.

I already tested for that issue. I turned the car off and let it sit for a day and then unscrewed my oil filter and it was still full of oil. Unfortunately that's not my issue :(

The grub screwed vct oil feed- would this have an affect?

Research has shown me that everybody does this so I didn't even think about it. The grub screw is in the head though, so would it effect oil pressure at the sender unit in the block?