SAU Community

Dry Sump Oiling Systems

rcs_888

Hey Guys,

Currently going through my build and I'm going to be making a Oil Tank soon. Plan Is to be about 500mm Tall and about 220mm in Diameter. so it would be a 10L tank and that means that i will be able to run approx 7L in the tank. My main question is Tank Location, Does the tank have to be above the pump pressure side inlet so that it will gravity feed or will it be okay to run it level? My plan is to run in behing the 'B' Pillar of the roll cage. After doing some corner weighting with me in the car i need to add some more weight to the back LHS. But i dont want to be having to run a oil hose upto the tank if it has to be half way up the rollcage.

Cheers for your help guys

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah turns out as long as the oil lines dont go above the height of the oil in the tank is will feed anyway. Still a little while away but trying to plan the build so we dont fill spots that need to be clear

The pump will be at the engine so all the lines are doing is feeding a flow of oil to the pump. The feed line at -12 and the return line is -16 so there will be minimal restrictions from that sence

Yes but from fluid dynamics, the longer the pipe the more the pressure drop.

It isn't pressurised. It's just a header tank for the pump that is in the engine bay.

As stated above. Place in the boot, on the left. Purpose of this is for the best weight balance when corner weighting.

post-76224-0-81545600-1436651160_thumb.jpg

Yeah the fluid between the tank and the pump is under no pressure at all its only a gravity feed to the pump.

Yeah that was the idea just wasnt sure we have corner weighted it an we have moved the battery placement further back and the firebomb back so adding another 15kg to the back pass side will be awesome for corner weight. My main concern was having oil get to the pump but solong as the pump is below the oil level in the tank and no part of the oil line goes above oil level in the tank gravity should feed the pump no problem

No, not my car mate, just an image I've pull off the net.

All the supercars run that style setup.

Fit a electric oil warmer in the tank too, just plug it in 1hr before you want to start, and bingo, warm oil ;)

• 2 months later...

We run ours in the boot with no issues, done everything from endurance, sprints and drifting with no issues. Excuse the old under car shots... lot different spec nowadays

post-34927-0-21862500-1442577201_thumb.jpg

post-34927-0-51581300-1442577226_thumb.jpg

post-34927-0-01532300-1442577246_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Bringing this back from the dead abit but you guys had a fairbut of knowledge on the dry sumps. Obviously pump at the front tank at the back. How would i go having an oil filter on the scavenge line in the boot then a cooler then into the tank? or is it best to have the cooler and filter closer to the motor?

No, the filter should be on the pressure side, before your expensive engine.

So you'd plumb in a filter like this:

Pressure out of oil pump--> remote mount oil filter--> oil cooler--> pressure into engine.

I have a filter between engine and dry sump pump and another filter between the pump and the tank and thats all on the scavenge side then a filter on the pressure side of the pump between pump and engine so 3 filters all up

Question is whether the cooler should be 1. on the scavenge side; and 2. in the boot.

Presumably the tank and lines are going to punch out quite a bit of heat. Depending on length of events being run, oil temps may not need to be regulated with a cooler. Any heat exchanger will need to be getting airflow - maybe the oil tank could benefit from a bit of air passing around it to evacuate heat also.