SAU Community

Sau Nsw June Monthly Meet - Mac Pass Charity Cruise

Redline_GTR

Hi All,

First and foremost, I am overwhelmed with the support shown from SAU NSW Members and friends. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for even thinking of me and my family to organise an event to support us. That is something that I will never forget and appreciate greatly. This community has given me many great times in previous events, long lasting friendships and much more. I can now add this support to that list. Unfortunately I hadn’t kept up with the events forum in recent times and missed that this was on even though it was in my own backyard! But it looks like it was a great success and everyone had a great time. Congratulations to the organisers.

My daughter Olivia is an amazing young girl that takes everything that's thrown at her in her stride. I have learnt a lot of things from her during this time. Patience, caring, acceptance and many other great qualities I would not have had it not been for her. She is currently in her 4th month of Chemotherapy and has 2 months to go. As explained in the first post, Olivia had surgery to remove her kidney tumour and a couple of weeks later started radiation and chemotherapy. Looking on the bright side, we have a beautiful 4yr old girl to cuddle at night and to that end we thank Sydney Children’s Hospital, the Oncologists, Surgeons, and Nurses for their amazing hard work. Without them she would be here to brighten our days.

I am sure most of you have somehow been touched by the disease that is cancer. Some more personally than others. As a father, I sometimes struggle to understand how and why a child could be diagnosed with cancer, but the same feelings as a father help me cope with the events that have unfolded over the last 5 months. 600 parents of children get told each year in Australia that their child has cancer. While that number seems small, it’s 600 too many.

Your support is amazing and greatly appreciated.

TL:DR

Thanks a bunch guys!

Jason & Family.

• Like 13

Twas a pleasure to be part of this charity event Jason.

Yes my wife is a cancer victim > survivor and we can relate to what you've been going through.

I personally have noticed your parts in cycling for cancer causes in years gone by and have lauded your contributions in these.

God bless...

• Like 2

Twas a pleasure to be part of this charity event Jason.

Yes my wife is a cancer victim > survivor and we can relate to what you've been going through.

I personally have noticed your parts in cycling for cancer causes in years gone by and have lauded your contributions in these.

God bless...

The cycling I've done in previous years was for Multiple Sclerosis, which we raised over $45k for over the years. I will strive to fund research into childhood cancers into the future as much as I have with MS in the past, Thanks for noticing :)

• Like 3

Quick question on cancer to those that know more than I. ..

why are there so many separate charity's and foundations working on it, instead of pooling all the sources and research together so they aren't double testing dead ends?

Quick question on cancer to those that know more than I. ..

why are there so many separate charity's and foundations working on it, instead of pooling all the sources and research together so they aren't double testing dead ends?

alot of charities revolve around cancer, but are not actually for the research of cancer itself, the study to cure cancer isn't the only purpose.

For instance, the McGraph foundation is a breast cancer support foundation, it provides nurses to care for sufferes of breast cancer and their family. For all intents and purposes, their core goal isn't to try and cure it but help people survive it.

many other causes are stuff like:

cancer awareness

support for sufferers

support for their family

treatment care

post care

mental care

living expenses

medical expenses etc.

Of the charities that are in the research category, I do beleive alot of information is shared between the research institutes.. It's also noteworthy to understand that cancer of the breat is different to testicular, prostate, bone etc. and each one reacts very differently to treatements and potential cure research.

They beleive that a cure for testicular cancer is going to be easier than bone cancer as there is less genetic make up in a testie. (I saw this in a doco and it might be the other way around ie; easier for bone than testicular..... someone correct me if i have it mixed around) ????

• Like 3