SAU Community

Home Insurance Competitiveness

GTR-N1

Every year I shop around at prices, excesses, conditions etc for the best policies around re home building and contents insurance.

So after using about 5 insurance companies over the past 40yrs, I'm happy to say that Shannon's are willing to haggle to get your business. They not only reduced their premium by $300 to meet my current company (Aust Pensioners Insurance Agency) premium, but beat it by another $100.

Happy Jacky

Man i wish i could go with APIA. a few years left for that...... :unsure:

Also i had no idea shannons did home insurance. I didn't realise a home was a car... lol

It's always nice to get a saving, especially in insurance. When i did NRMA vintage on the GTR shannons said they couldn't come close to matching it :woot:

are your cars with shannons? or nrma?

NRMA Vintage Veteran and Classic covers the two GTRs Anthony and...

Shannon's covers the Navara ST-X 550

One year ago Shannon's couldn't even get close to matching APIA on the house/contents. This year I also got quoted by Budget, a building society and NRMA. Shannon's haggled and won.

Of corse they are, the use to have the market all wrapped up so they could charge what ever they like. Now nrma have stuck their nose in and doing it way cheaper and Shannon's are living off the fact nrma don't advertise it very well

It appears to me Anthony that Shannon's never had much market share before of home building and contents insurance - but now they're making a move. Peter the salesman said that Shannon's has had a big spike in home insurance write-ups over the past 3-4 months.

*Edit. I didn't know about that Brett.

I've been using Shannon's for home/contents for a few years now.

When we moved to Faulco, they killed all the major providers on price, and then their additional "enthusiast cover" put them right at the top for us.

• Like 1

I was with shannons with both the cars and house for years because they were cheap up front for premiums

However I had 2 major troubles with 2 different claims and would never use them again (pm for details).

What use is a cheap premium when you they make claiming as difficult as possible...

BTW they are owned by Suncorp and have been for a while. So they are just a pretty logo and funny ads over a big old fashioned financial institution

• 3 weeks later...

Agree Duncan

I've moved my 3 cars and trailer away from Shannons and in process moving home and contents cover

Have had the absolute worse service from their claims team and a 2 code of practice breaches

Don't just think price is the best guys

It isn't

I joined Shannon's before they were bought by Suncorp, back then premiums were cheap and it was run by proper car guys.

Then, premiums went up, value went down, and eventually when I moved house the $1900/year premium, for a stock 200 with limited use (I'm no teen either), became a bit of a joke. A call centre woman who didn't know what a 200sx was, confirmed the death of old Shannon's...

Edited by junkie