SAU Community

What Is The Safest Way To Purchase A Car Interstate

DPham

M8

Google + telephone

Get to ringin brah and writing it all down - don't trust the hearsay of the internet. No offence intended, but if you're not prepared to do the basic background work on your own researching it etc., you're gonna have a bad time with the whole relocating a car process! It's pretty involved and takes a decent commitment of time and backup measures to ensure everything goes to plan. It's all insurance for the 40k+ or whatever you're gonna spend on the vehicle.

• Like 1

yeah be wary of transport companies and their "pickup" services. i booked my evo in after paying in full and they arrived about 3 days later with the car staying at the guy's place

yeah and as the others have said get full comp from the second you pay for it and get receipts etc

that way you can at least report it stolen if it goes pear shaped

also check up insurance without registraiton in case it's not registered (ie insurance via VIN #)

• 3 months later...

+1 for the fly there, drive back.

I just bought a r33 GTR from brisbane and aside from getting f**ked around by the shop i booked a pre-purchase inspection with (they literally sat around doing nothing until 4pm despite promising me they would do otherwise) it went very smoothly and i drove it back across 3 states.

Nothing bad happened except me being very paranoid to leave it alone ANNNND....i took a quick powernap in the emergency lane on the highway....only to find a tow truck pull up ahead of me and try reversing as if they were going to tow (and potentially steal it) so i just redlined it out of there.

The drive back is tedious, but there's always nice scenery and you'll feel a lot more comfortable being able to look after your car. Just make sure to get a pre-purchase inspection of course, as there could be things needing fixes that you don't wanna be stuck out in woop woop with ;p