SAU Community

Do Sunroofs Really Crack If They Get Tinted?

IM-32-FK

I wanted to get something like a 5% or 10% on the sunroof of my r32 skyline, but i couple of guys i called said they sometimes crack in the future. Is there any real truth to this? the sunroof already has something like a 35% tint from factory.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

pretty sure it's not sunroof's crack its just no one will put tint on them because of the type of 'glass' and the temps the endure the tint itself doesnt work well on them ie: stick properly ...will buble etc

could be wrong but im pretty sure thats what i got told when I asked many years ago

Ive currently got metallised house tint on my sunroofs. Has been perfect for years, was a free offcut, is a nice colour, cuts out the radiant heat. They look like mirrors from outside the car.

If it can sit on a house window in the sun all day I don't see why it shouldnt be fine on a car.

pretty sure it's not sunroof's crack its just no one will put tint on them because of the type of 'glass' and the temps the endure the tint itself doesnt work well on them ie: stick properly ...will buble etc

could be wrong but im pretty sure thats what i got told when I asked many years ago

my sunroof doesnt have a film tint on it, it looks like the glass has a tint 'BUILT IN' when it was being made if that makes any sense. Is it still okay if i get a 5% tint?

its like tinting privacy glass, its fine, just darker. there are no rules to tinting it. you can spraypaint it black if you want.
i cant imagine it would crack, just tint it.

its like tinting privacy glass, its fine, just darker. there are no rules to tinting it. you can spraypaint it black if you want.

i cant imagine it would crack, just tint it.

Man, it's just that it will be extremely difficult to find another OEM one if it cracked. Give me your guarantee and ill go do it tomorrow...

i got mine tinted one of the best things ive done don't have pull the cover in the summer any more. The guy told me most people dont tint the sunroofs cause most are inexperience or too scared and i think the sunroof uses a different glass.

maybe they trap heat? dont know really, i read its something got to do with laminated and tempered glass.

This is pretty much it. Tint retains heat. Toughened/tempered glass is treated to 600 degrees so will handle the additional heat load fine. If it's laminate glass (like your windscreen) then heat builds up on one half of the glass more than the other causing differences in expansion and the glass cracks. Tint shops aren't interested in the liability for the sake of $50.

If your sunroof is etched in one corner with "toughened", "tempered" or "TF-A" you'll be fine. If there's no marking I'd be cautious.

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty much it. Tint retains heat. Toughened/tempered glass is treated to 600 degrees so will handle the additional heat load fine. If it's laminate glass (like your windscreen) then heat builds up on one half of the glass more than the other causing differences in expansion and the glass cracks. Tint shops aren't interested in the liability for the sake of $50.

If your sunroof is etched in one corner with "toughened", "tempered" or "TF-A" you'll be fine. If there's no marking I'd be cautious.

alright i had a look for markings on the sunroof and i found this TEMPERLITE marking which i assume is tempered glass.

What specific kind of tint should i get though...like household uv tint or normal car tint? what tint should i ask him to put on the sunroof?

aqN7Itx.jpg