SAU Community

Thoughts On This R34 Gt-r?

OK update time.

Made the 9hr round trip drive to go and see/drive the car.

The owner was very helpful (and is also reading this thread so please say Hi and be civil).

Below is a gallery of things that stood out as blemishes/concerns/need repair.

Comments welcome, but in particular I was interested in what people thought of the following. As in, will these present long term issues or require expensive repair?

- Opened and re-sealed headlight.

- New seam sealer on inner guard (looks to have been neatly done).

- Surface rust on rear subframe. Spoke to my panel beater about this and he said he thought we could repair it with the frame in, wire wheel, rust convertor and some satin black. He did question the unusual spots which almost look like welds to the right of the hicas rack boot.

- Similar looking spot on the drivers chassis rail.

Comp tested it cold while I was there, barely 5psi variance between all cylinders while cold - seems fine to me. No idea what the tuner was doing when he tested it.

Drives fine/straight.

Paint is quite good and a very nice colour.

Interior has a few blemishes and will need some touch up as pictured.

Compared to what you guys have seen how does this stack up? My 33 was actually a little cleaner interior wise but it was a genuine low low k's garage queen.

http://imgur.com/a/RckNe

Your attention to detail is that of a collector ! I'd totally get you to suss out my next purchase.

Resealed headlights seem fine, although I'm not sure a set of r34 headlights are worth (i rmb them to be $$$ iirc) if theres no signs of air/moisture as is, shouldn't have an issue.

Covers showing slight heat marks probably not seen from a distance, i'd imagine similar marks on the plenum.

Most of the interior you'd never see daily but I can understand just being thourough.

I didn't even inspect my 32 in this much detail and I used to be fussy...

I'd prolly wait for a 34 owners to comment, plus have you seen another 34 yet? it might be worth seeing another in the flesh for a more direct comparison.

When you're spending that much on a car, get something you're in love with. Seems like you're trying to convince yourself its good enough when there's continually things popping up about the car that obviously put you off. That's how id look at it anyway.

My opinion...

Car looks a little rougher than what I would have expected.I'm basing this off my R34 GTR which now has 125000 kms. There is alot of steering wheel wear and interior blemishes that suggest its had a bit of a rough life.

Car might have originated from a snowy area of Japan. A few rust spots where a car of that age generally wouldn't have.

Cam covers are def quite 'used' compared to the majority of 34's I've seen

I've since spoken with a number of people who's opinions I trust on these things (repairs and GT-Rs) and all have said don't touch so I'm sad to say I spent a day on the road (and a day out of my holidays) for nothing.

Greatly appreciate everyone's help on this.

The search continues.

In respect to the seller, should I look to have this thread closed?

I do feel the car represents good value to the right buyer, I just don't think I'm that person.

• Like 2

IMO this is where you're at.

You know the story of the car. Pay less than a "showroom" example and you'll enjoy it more than a garage queen no story car etc and won't be too afraid of getting it dirty and using it to its potential.

+1

It seems like you're after a show car. This is a 'go' car - someone who wants to use it, mod it and extract enjoyment out of it. Not put it on a pedestal and look at it.

I bought a GTT with a few rough edges, my last car was an R33 GTS-t that I was SUPER precious about. I am not precious at all about the GTT. It's there to be used and abused (ok, not ABUSED abused.. but have some fun).

Just depends what you want in a car. When I looked at your inspection photos I was thinking to myself "jesus this guy's anal" - I slowed down when I saw the rust spots but they're not that bad really. The car has probably lived on salt roads back in Japan (snow country). Would I drop 60k on it? Probably not quite that much, I'm also paranoid about things like rust. But if you treated it, it would take a long time to get worse. The accident damage doesn't matter IF it's been repaired properly and I don't see any glaring red flags in those pics.

Seller sounds like a champ btw.

+1. Seems to me that the car isn't hiding anything and nor is the owner. It's not a showroom special but it would be a lot of fun for someone who's not too precious about looks and previous history.

OK update time.

Made the 9hr round trip drive to go and see/drive the car.

The owner was very helpful (and is also reading this thread so please say Hi and be civil).

Below is a gallery of things that stood out as blemishes/concerns/need repair.

Comments welcome, but in particular I was interested in what people thought of the following. As in, will these present long term issues or require expensive repair?

- Opened and re-sealed headlight.

- New seam sealer on inner guard (looks to have been neatly done).

- Surface rust on rear subframe. Spoke to my panel beater about this and he said he thought we could repair it with the frame in, wire wheel, rust convertor and some satin black. He did question the unusual spots which almost look like welds to the right of the hicas rack boot.

- Similar looking spot on the drivers chassis rail.

Comp tested it cold while I was there, barely 5psi variance between all cylinders while cold - seems fine to me. No idea what the tuner was doing when he tested it.

Drives fine/straight.

Paint is quite good and a very nice colour.

Interior has a few blemishes and will need some touch up as pictured.

Compared to what you guys have seen how does this stack up? My 33 was actually a little cleaner interior wise but it was a genuine low low k's garage queen.

http://imgur.com/a/RckNe

My 2c

The rust bothers me.

Repair looks ok from behind a computer. Does look more worn than expected but much more used not abused. Interior doesn't really bother me that much as its all easily replaceable. Its the prior history combined with rust that does.

That said, you now know its mechanically 100% and requires work elsewhere. Would you prefer a cosmetic and structurally 100% car that requires engine work / mods? Which costs more to achieve? Engine work or bodywork, your call?

If it was my money, I'd walk away unless the price was something I simply couldn't turn down. Kudos to the seller though. Hiding nothing. Wish everyone was like that.

• Like 1