SAU Community

Test For Coolant System Additives To Stop Leaks

Nismo 3.2ish

Glad its finally back together again Pete.

What a pain in the ass of a problem to have to go through.

I wish, not back together yet but being sorted at a motor builder at the moment , some parts at the machinist being finished off, it was a bit close to the holidays, but the bloke doing the work is giving it as much time as he can and will be able to work on it in the new year, but the leak was found and being fixed, sent back to the builder and put back together. Then sent back to Jez, back in, tuned and YEAH, a late Chrisy present

I made that sound easyxblink.png.pagespeed.ic.jZ-_dA-Dno.png

Saw it about 2 months ago and instantly recognized it. Such a shame what's happened. But rest assured that He had a big heart for the car also and things will be fixed correctly!

What was the cause of the leak? Cracked block?

Saw it about 2 months ago and instantly recognized it. Such a shame what's happened. But rest assured that He had a big heart for the car also and things will be fixed correctly!

What was the cause of the leak? Cracked block?

I am busting to get it back. Miss my toy, going to end up close to a year when all of this lot started before I get it back.

I have total confidence with the companies doing the work. The motor builder is independent.

No cracked block but looks like something that happened with the build, not a leaking radiator hose.

I will wait until I have the diagnostic report and costs, I will have to be 100% sure before I do anything, but I do not like the idea of paying twice to end up with the same motor. Could get messy , I hope not, but?

• Like 1

Good to hear from you Pete,

I saw a supercharged tiida for sale and thought of you. I wonder how good the response would be!

All the best with getting the car back on the road.

• Like 1

Good to hear from you Pete,

I saw a supercharged tiida for sale and thought of you. I wonder how good the response would be!

All the best with getting the car back on the road.

Hi Ben, all the best for Xmas and the New Year xsanta.gif.pagespeed.ic.wVe7OnMnqS.png

All happened at the wrong time of the year, everyone wants their cars back and by the time my motor hit the machine shop , mine was on the end of the list but I am leaning to have a little patients, very little, haha

You should not have said that word, might get the heap tuned for response this time and disregard the top end, there will still be heaps at the top for me. As it was the injectors and turbo were close to max. While it is in the shop I might toss in some different cams and see what happens ?

Mmmmmm response, yeah supercharge my Tiida :woot:, have to get the R back on the road first , that could be a while, lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I should have the car back by the end of the month, that is the good news

I have said some of this in another thread, so stop here if you have seen it , just letting the blokes that have followed this know what has happened.

I have the report and it is as good as it can get for me, it was assessed by an independent shop/s that the leak was due to some work that was done at the time of the build and concluded it could not have been done at any other time. It was not a hose , gasket , cracked block or head, interesting, yes?

It has been fixed and bolted back together, sounds easy, not, there was a lot of tests, checks and many hours of repair work and new parts . Just waiting on a couple of parts and it can be finished off and tuned, asking for as much response as he can jiggle out of the cams as there was a bit left there last tune :wub:

Sent the report to the builder yesterday and still waiting for a response and that is were I am at the moment. It could be easy or hard and will not be something I want to be part of, but I refuse to pay twice to get it back to how it should have been after the initial build :no:

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be back in 100 pages...

Hi Just an update, here is part of the report I have back from an independent motor builder, it was also seen ans assessed by 2 other shops involved in the leak issue and it only took 7 pages, LOL

I have given the original builder plenty of time to answer emails and read the full report, no answer!

We next chose to remove the primary oil gallery bungs and use an inspection camera to confirm where the coolant

was leaking into the main oil gallery from.

At 15psi of cooling system pressure we saw the coolant leaking from the cylinder head oil feed gallery into the

primary oil gallery.

(See video “Leak 02”)

This confirmed that coolant was entering the cylinder head oil feed gallery.

Number 3 inlet side head stud was removed with the cooling system still pressurized.

This stud is next to the cylinder head oil feed oil and they share the same cut out in the head gasket.

This resulted in an extreme coolant leak from the head stud hole.

It was found that when the engine was originally built the head studs were upgraded to ½” items and the head stud

holes were drilled ~5mm deeper than standard causing a number of them to pass into the coolant jackets around

them.

(See video “Leak 03” and image “Stud hole 01”)

Head studs were sealed, engine was assembled and cooling system re-tested at 25 psi for 1 hour and no leaks

were found.

(See video “leak 04”)

We also found there were no locating dowels for the cylinder head and head gasket, the cylinder head and engine

block were drilled to accept new dowels.

The main bearing tunnel was not honed to suit the upgraded main studs fitted, as they were not tensioned to the

correct specifications set by the stud manufacturer.

Once tensioned correctly the main bearing was clearance 0.001” instead of 0.002”.

The main tunnel was resized and correct clearances were achieved.

• 1 month later...

This is where the water was really going. THERE are some swear words in the vid , if it offends do not watch it or turn volume off.

Second vid is where I was told the water was coming out of the top radiator hose and after 3 months you would think someone would have seen it, the water lose continued, LOL

Leak01.MOV

NCAT vids and pics 008.MOV

• Like 1

This is where the water was really going. THERE are some swear words in the vid , if it offends do not watch it or turn volume off.

Second vid is where I was told the water was coming out of the top radiator hose and after 3 months you would think someone would have seen it, the water lose continued, LOL

Wow well spotted.

Good thing you had the determination and resources to see this through!

Wow well spotted.

Good thing you had the determination and resources to see this through!

Yeah , this is the difference . You really need an independent workshop to asses the problem, otherwise it would be hard to prove the original shop did the damage.

Most blokes could not have persisted as it is very expensive. But sooner or later you have to do it when you know the water is going somewhere and it is not on the ground.

The motor could not last forever with this problem, as it was, there was a lot of work to get it back to 100%.

That's pretty special....

I suppose if I needed something in black and white, this is what I needed.

As you would know it is very hard to fight this type of thing with motors but when the evidence points to the only time when the problem could have been caused, it helps , but it will get messy :(

Edward lee now crd?

If I am not mistaken they said they tak no responsibility for any issues after Jez touched it. Therefor the only way you will have a chance at getting them to fork up for the new repairs is by taking them to court.

Or am I mistaken

HI, been a while. like the video, read the report ?

Just reading the thread again, yes I have just started taking action, what more proof do I need that this was a F**k up from day 1.

That is what was said, also that the leak probably happened on the Dyno while being tuned. When you tune a car you do not have to drill the stud holes out, lol

• Like 1