SAU Community

Should I Buy My Mates R33?

Will_D

Hey guys,

I'll keep this short for you, but I appreciate any help.

~$10k ish

1996 Series 2 R33 GTS-T

123,xxxkms

3" APEXi cat-back

Front and rear struts

and a front mount, whatever that is..

Pic below; paint work is generally in really good condition. Interior is clean and generally unmarked. Centre consoles hasn't been molested or cut up for gauges.

I have also linked a video for the engine idling. I assume this click sound when the rpm drops and climbs is normal, but someone who knows what their talking about might be able to say otherwise.

My main issues are: he doesn't have any of the books, and he doesn't know if the guy he bought it off did the timing belt. Realistically, he's only driven it about 2,000k's but I'm more concerned with the history before that.

I had a good crawl over the car, no dents, scratches, or obvious rusting in the body (boot and undernearth)

Do you think it's a reasonable price or do I have room to barter for legitimate reasons? Cheers for any help

APCQGnz.jpg

Yeah I definitely plan on taking it to a local place to have it looked over.

Originally for a laugh I offered ~$6k just to see what would happen and he wasn't too happy with it. My biggest problem is that he kinda got shafted himself and bought it for around ~$12k and thinks he can make that back.

Like I said, aesthetically it's in really good nick; but it looks like there are a few cars on car sales that have had some decent work done and are around that ~$9k mark.

A lot of friends have said the same thing. I'm just really struggling at showing him that it's not actually worth $10k. Like, no matter how many links I send to him of similar if not better cars for less doesn't seem to make him realise it's not worth what he's asking. It's really quite frustrating.

I considered just getting a GTR but I don't have the extra +$10k to just go out and buy one. Bang for buck, are the GTS-T and GTR really that different?

A lot of friends have said the same thing. I'm just really struggling at showing him that it's not actually worth $10k. Like, no matter how many links I send to him of similar if not better cars for less doesn't seem to make him realise it's not worth what he's asking. It's really quite frustrating.

I considered just getting a GTR but I don't have the extra +$10k to just go out and buy one. Bang for buck, are the GTS-T and GTR really that different?

yes they are.

But you need to be able to afford two GTRs if you want one.

It's true, buying a gtr and having no money after is not a good thing. You'll need to maintain it regularly and have funds for unexpected problems that may occur. So owning one and having enough to buy another is a baseline people use.

There is a big difference between the two, if you get the chance to take a ride in both you'll understand why.

$10k is definitely steep for a gts-t in my opinion and it may be best to find a another one instead of his to save any drama.