SAU Community

Question And Seaching For More Info About The Garett Gtx3071r

yoshiii335

Hello

I have decided to get the Garett GTX3071R turbo for my RB20 Det. From what I have researched, it is newer turbo technology with twin scrolling.

How much better is the GTX3071R compared to the GT2530, and the GTRS turbos?

Also I noticed their are different shops that sell the turbo with different kits.

Has anyone heard of the Mamba version?

There are no "versions". There are genuine Garrett and there are Chinese/Taiwanese copies. Mambatek (or Mambatech or Mamba or whatever the hell they call themselves) may or may not make a decent turbo, but one thing they are definitely NOT selling is a real GTX3071R.

I like the "searching for more info" part of your thread title. Many many threads talking about the turbos you ask about.

There are no "versions". There are genuine Garrett and there are Chinese/Taiwanese copies. Mambatek (or Mambatech or Mamba or whatever the hell they call themselves) may or may not make a decent turbo, but one thing they are definitely NOT selling is a real GTX3071R.

I like the "searching for more info" part of your thread title. Many many threads talking about the turbos you ask about.

Ok thanks, all I needed to know about the Mambatek one. I will get it from a source that actually sells the one from garrett.

Hks 2530 is mucch smaller than a gtx3071 so it isn't really comparable. A gtrs is a bolt on style turbo, two bolt inlet, internal wastegate and t2 flange.

It depends what you are trying to compare. A t3 twin scroll externally gated gtx3071r with 4" inlet is a lot more of a serious turbo and will take a lot more mods to fit. I would expect their to be reasonable gains but I'm not an rb20 guru, but you are comparing a gtrs and 2530 too a much more serious setup.

What are your current mods and what are you really trying to achieve?

Edited by Brodie.Maher

Hks 2530 is mucch smaller than a gtx3071 so it isn't really comparable. A gtrs is a bolt on style turbo, two bolt inlet, internal wastegate and t2 flange.

It depends what you are trying to compare. A t3 twin scroll externally gated gtx3071r with 4" inlet is a lot more of a serious turbo and will take a lot more mods to fit. I would expect their to be reasonable gains but I'm not an rb20 guru, but you are comparing a gtrs and 2530 too a much more serious setup.

What are your current mods and what are you really trying to achieve?

I am wanting to reach 350-380 on my car. I will buy a GTR later but for now I want to do what I can to my Rb20. I am going with Nistune for a computer. I want a good fast street car. No lag monster. I have driven my rb20 with its stock turbo with and without a boost controller so I understand the boost and other limits of that turbo. So I am ready for the next stage. Right now my car has a RB25 turbo that I just put on with a HKS adjustable actuator, aftermarket turbo down pipe, 3 inch front pipe and exhaust with a sports cat, return flow fmic which I am going to change to regular fmic, gtr fuel pump, pod. Getting 550 injectors, better fuel pump, Z32 Maf, and possibly ARP studs, depending on if the tuner says I need them or not, when I buy the Nistune computer.

Edited by yoshiii335

I recommend a GTX2863 on E85

A RB20 makes very low torque compared to a SR20 due to firstly the capacity and secondly the stroke.

If you say you don't want a lag monster I suggest either a GTX2867 or GTX2863 both of which are avilable in T3 flanges.

Have a look at sonic performance, but be prepared to pay more than the motor 4 times for the turbo.

I recommend a GTX2863 on E85

A RB20 makes very low torque compared to a SR20 due to firstly the capacity and secondly the stroke.

If you say you don't want a lag monster I suggest either a GTX2867 or GTX2863 both of which are avilable in T3 flanges.

Have a look at sonic performance, but be prepared to pay more than the motor 4 times for the turbo.

Thanks,

I Wont be able to use E85,​ is 100 octane ok? I reviewed the other turbos, in a easy to explain way, what is the big difference between them? I take it that the GTX3071r is bigger enough that it will cause lag compared to the other two? If I can get a turbo and have my car set up to where I can begin boost about 2500-3000rpm and have full boost by 4000-4500 rpm, that would be a zone for me.

You're going to hate the lag. I have a GTX3071 on an SR20 with VCT. I wouldn't say it's very much fun before 4000rpm. It builds boost, but isn't really working hard. It doesn't really bother me, as car is pretty much track only.

I'd say for a RB20 you'd be looking at the best part of 5000rpm to really get moving.

As above, look into more responsive high flow options.

You're going to hate the lag. I have a GTX3071 on an SR20 with VCT. I wouldn't say it's very much fun before 4000rpm. It builds boost, but isn't really working hard. It doesn't really bother me, as car is pretty much track only.

I'd say for a RB20 you'd be looking at the best part of 5000rpm to really get moving.

As above, look into more responsive high flow options.

Oh, no that's too much lag. I asked a person from Hypergear about their turbo and lag and the only thing that they would tell me is that it is good for 350-400hp. Are the Hypergear turbo highflowed turbos laggy?

Have a look through the 20 pages of RB20 results. Check out some of the dyno sheets, and you'll get an idea of what kind of power you will make while still retaining some response.

Results for the hyper gear? I read through the RB20 Turbo upgrade pin. No one really says if their set up is laggy or not. But it seems like the TD06 has lots of power and there was a RB25 turbo highflowed with a rb20 exhaust housing which reached closed to 400hp but they had large injectors(1000cc I think, forget) and other big things done.

Don't remember seeing anything about GTRS, or the GTX2867 and GTX2863. I read that the more modern turbos are more efficient and give more power.

I usually mention to people the RB20det high flowed turbocharger is not bad for a daily, that usually make around 200rwkws. High flowed RB25det turbo will definitely be laggy. For a brand new bolton have a look at our ATR43SS1 this is a small billet turbo with a 64mm comp, that one is pretty responsive working with Rb20det engines and makes decent power.

Response and power.........as you lose one you gain the other. The holy grail is finding the cross over point. For an RB20 I don't think you will have both at 400 [assuming hp - if it was kw then absolutely not].

And to date, 'modern' turbo's are really only finessing with small changes in power and efficiency, the basic concept remains the exact same. The Gtx series are a prime example of this.

People used to say that smallish turbine housings are the go if you want anything even vaguely like OE turbo characteristics on an RB20 .

I remember people saying that the GCG hi flowed standard turbo worked quite well for road cars as long as it kept the OE turbine housing size .

IMO its the small individual pot size that causes the RB20 low rev limited torque thing so getting boost in early is the way to make good usable road power .

It would be interesting to see one of the smaller EFRs on an RB20 , ball bearings and light weight internals has to give the best results .

In your position i wouldn't mess around with a 2L, go straight to a 3L stock bottom and bolt a 25head, then proceed with your other bolt ons and get a hypergear turbo,

or just drop a neo with hypergear turbo, in the end it probably wont cost much more considering a GTX3071 is near $2k by itself?

Edited by AngryRB
  • Like 1

In your position i wouldn't mess around with a 2L, go straight to a 3L stock bottom and bolt a 25head, then proceed with your other bolt ons and get a hypergear turbo,

or just drop a neo with hypergear turbo, in the end it probably wont cost much more considering a GTX3071 is near $2k by itself?

I live in Japan, so it might be hard to get the bottom end for a decent price imported here. How about a 25 non neo?