SAU Community

Rb20 Owners Past And Present, I Want Your Thoughts And Opinions About Some Things

yoshiii335

Muppets. A std Rb20 will make 270-280rwkws all day with a smart bolt on turbo on 98-100. Throw E85 at it and you can make 300rwkws reliably with 180rwkws at 4,000rpm a d about 18psi at 4,200 rpm.

Some want more and thats cool. But 270rwkws makes for a perfectly drivable and powerful/fast car.

Its no RB30 but perfectly drivable, usable and easy....AND reliable. It even runs low 12s in complete street trim.

• Like 1

Muppets. A std Rb20 will make 270-280rwkws all day with a smart bolt on turbo on 98-100. Throw E85 at it and you can make 300rwkws reliably with 180rwkws at 4,000rpm a d about 18psi at 4,200 rpm.

Some want more and thats cool. But 270rwkws makes for a perfectly drivable and powerful/fast car.

Its no RB30 but perfectly drivable, usable and easy....AND reliable. It even runs low 12s in complete street trim.

Hello Roy,

I was reading some old post about rb20's and I came across some of your inputs, you mention that you

"I dont know Mafia. I would have spent 6k on my RB20 with ecu, injectors, fuel pump, turbo and manifold and tuning....would do some things differently if I did it all again but 50,000kms in a std engine making between 235-275rwkws and plenty of track work means I dont think its been a waste if money. Hell I cant think of any rwd cars be it RB25, SR20 etc rhat us as quick as my RB20 at Sandown which is pretty much a hp track...so cant be too bad a thing

General rule is if you go bigger RB you have to expect the gearbox will be a problem much sooner. So add gearbox, tailshaft... it all adds up. Coolant, oils new water pump and belrs etc...do it once, do it right and it costs money. So many people talk about how cheap they can do things and not sure its sound advice to people who are spending money at a mechanics as they may not have know how, space, time or a combination of

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:27 AM "

So I believe that I can get a good fast non big laggy car with a RB20.

The question I have now is what turbo, Ive asked but I keep getting different suggestions and don't know which one is really good. What do you think of the ones suggested in this post to reach the power you said is is good?

I read about the TDO6 but it seems that is a turbo that kicks in late in the RPM range. What turbo are you(were you) using on your RB20?

Also does changing the exhaust manifold matter?

Edited by yoshiii335

Have to do something soon, this boost up tune with the RB25 turbo doesnt seem to be doing anything. Got dusted by a RX7 tonight, but I think he was super tuned any way. Wasnt trying to race. He thought he was racing me. I was just driving. But after he took off and was ahead, I said what the heck and tried to catch up to him to see how my car is.

Oh for god's sake Yoshi.

The reason for the trollbot comment was that regardless of what information you are given you always come back 2 months later asking the exact same questions and hoping that somehow you can have a 300rwkW RB20 that makes boost from 2500rpm. We keep telling you that you can't have that, that you can't even have close to that. But you keep on banging away. If I were to design a trollbot for a forum like this one, that is how I would make it behave.

Bow Roy has a very very very nice R32. His RB20 is very well developed and make excellent power. The car is also extensively improved everywhere else, which helps to explain why it is so fast on the track. Ignoring that last part, I am damn sure that you would find his engine "laggy" by your definitions. There is no way you can make the power Roy makes without the boost threshold being quite a lot higher than stock.

Let me make something very clear. I like RB20s. I had one for years. If I was building my car for track I might consider keeping the 20 and build it appropriately. But for a street engine there is ABSOLUTELY NO REPLACEMENT FOR MORE CAPACITY if you want it to drive nicely. Having some acceleration available before boost comes on is a bloody good thing. Having the power go from nothing (and I mean damn near nothing for an unboosted RB20) to f**kinwoosh lots when the boost arrives at 4800rpm is no recipe for grip and accel on the road. This is why we keep telling you to go RB25. It is the only way you are going to get close to what you are asking for. It doesn't matter that you think it should be possible to do it with the 20 if you actually cannot.

• Like 2

Oh for god's sake Yoshi.

The reason for the trollbot comment was that regardless of what information you are given you always come back 2 months later asking the exact same questions and hoping that somehow you can have a 300rwkW RB20 that makes boost from 2500rpm. We keep telling you that you can't have that, that you can't even have close to that. But you keep on banging away. If I were to design a trollbot for a forum like this one, that is how I would make it behave.

Bow Roy has a very very very nice R32. His RB20 is very well developed and make excellent power. The car is also extensively improved everywhere else, which helps to explain why it is so fast on the track. Ignoring that last part, I am damn sure that you would find his engine "laggy" by your definitions. There is no way you can make the power Roy makes without the boost threshold being quite a lot higher than stock.

Let me make something very clear. I like RB20s. I had one for years. If I was building my car for track I might consider keeping the 20 and build it appropriately. But for a street engine there is ABSOLUTELY NO REPLACEMENT FOR MORE CAPACITY if you want it to drive nicely. Having some acceleration available before boost comes on is a bloody good thing. Having the power go from nothing (and I mean damn near nothing for an unboosted RB20) to f**kinwoosh lots when the boost arrives at 4800rpm is no recipe for grip and accel on the road. This is why we keep telling you to go RB25. It is the only way you are going to get close to what you are asking for. It doesn't matter that you think it should be possible to do it with the 20 if you actually cannot.

I understand that, in fact I said thank you to everyone who has offered to answer questions. Within that if I had any other questions, I would ask. I haven't asked anything new. I was told about what to expect. So I was told what to do and what not to do. Within that I asked follow up questions. So if it is wrong for me to make sure I have all the details that will help me on my way well don't answer, easy. My questions have been mostly answered. I know what to expect. So I am going to go with the 20 for now. I don't want to ask this question any more, so I want to know specifics. I read the different pages on what people use. But it seems no one has gotten it right. Roy told me some things, I happen to read some of his old post by coincidence and so I asked some questions specifically about what he told me and what I read in his posts, isn't that what most of you tell people the moment they have a question READ THE POST READ THE POSTs. I READ the post and had questions. You don't know what I am able to have done to my car. If someone has done something that I am trying to do, I am going to ask for specifics, that's how people learn. Too many of you expect people to shut up automatically as soon as the word RB 20 is mentioned. Also some of you have a bad habit of attacking posters the moment they asked a questions. FYI, the posts don't all have the answers people are looking for. Also not everyone is going to want to read through dozens and hundreds of pages when a simple answer and explanation that people want can easily be given. This site has a bad reputation amongst other people outside of Australia of not being the friendliest place to ask questions. Some people question peoples actually experiences and knowledge here. But I come here because I trust that someone actually knows what they are talking about and will help the fellow car man without being dicks. Too many chips on peoples shoulders here.

Thanks for everyone who is trying to help.

Oh yeah, as before no one knows what parts or things I have access to right now. Not everyone can just go and put a RB25 engine or whatever in their car. Some people have things they want to do. Advice is good sometimes, but don't push it on people or make them feel like crap because they dare to do something they want to try.

I have read other posts where this is done to people.

Anyway, my main big thing now is choosing the turbo that will get me to my goal I want until I can get the GTR or somehow I come into possession of a cheap good running RB25. I have searched and from what I have read, the 2530 is not what I am looking for because it doesn't seem to be able to reach the 360-380 hp goal I am looking for. The other ones mentioned in this post I haven't really found any info about them. Oh yeah, the turbos available now are somewhat better than the ones back then. Most of the posts are old here.

I am looking at the one the turbos that was dicussed in this post.

I have done exactly what I said I would do with my car in steps. I put a boost controller in. Drove it. Put a rb25 det turbo in, have a boost up tuned computer for it, driving it. I am now ready for the next step. I am not going to go over 380 in my car because I understand that higher means more lag unless a good way to reduce that lag at high hp is made. If I was going for a track car, I wouldn't care. So I know if I want 400 hp or more I should go RB25 or GTR to have a good street car.

So if its not too much to ask to close this post out, out of the turbos suggested in this post, which one would probably be the best to invest in that will actually be good? The TD06 I know makes lots of power but I know also that it comes on to boost later on the RB20.

The Hypergear hiflow like you were told a year ago.

Ok, I looked into that but Hyper Gear suggested a different one than that. I forget the exact one.

I will contact them again and ask them again. Thank you

I appreciate everyones help.