SAU Community

R33 Twin Cam Swap

My mate is putting a rb20det into his r33 just as a skid pig to learn to drift.

Now we have a r32 rb20det with loom and ecu.

Dash plug pins done match.

And square plug under airbox pins dont match. Need some advice to set this all up.

We cant even find any wiring info for the RB20e R33 to even begin to figure it out.

So any infomation would be good.

Or any tips to make it run with out it being wired to the car, more like its just sitting there to hold it.

And dont just say get a rb25... picked this motor up for $200 with a rebuilt head.

And getting this wired up will help when his RB30DET goes in as he has a R32 RB25 head. Cheers

Was there even such a thing as a rb20 33?

R33 GTS has the RB20E - SOHC head, good for 100kw or so. R33 GTS25 has the RB25DE, 147kw in type S form.

33 single cam, non turbo rb20. Yucky!

• Like 1

done match? so you've done the matching

I believe you mean don't match.. both very different words with different meanings.

Because it'a R33, I would suggest investigating on a R33 GTS-t loom and swap the injector pins to suit. Then splice the sensor wires into the R32 sensors. Of course a RB20DET doesn't have VCT so you can just terminate those wires.

Not really rocket science, you'll work it out.

We got it running found some info from someone thats done the swap.

And regards to the comment about small tyres, I have a friend who drifts a single cam non turbo rb20e r32 and goes out with the big boys. A turbo twin cam rb20det will do just fine. The one problem I have with community is the hate towards RB20'S

Ok well I guess we will sort a new feed for that then, didnt think to far into it at this stage.

Ill have to look more into it because the normal power feed etc was somehow running 12v constant so the car would stay running with the key out as a turbo timer would act. So ill have to either get the ecu trigger to work, may wire up a relay using the ecu trigger and the 12v switched feed and get it going that way, either that or anything that only feeds 12v with the engine running haha. More investigation is needed for the next step... dont worry though guys his car is miles away from being ready to drive