SAU Community

Noob Advice For Actuator (r34 Gtt)

Hey gents, have done a little digging into trying to find out about actuators after a member here suggested I fit an R32 Actuator or HKS Adj Actuator to increase my boost slightly (min 10psi to 12psi max).

Was wondering how I could go about making the purchase I.e where I can grab one, how difficult it is to fit etc for the both (have read the HKS might not be so flash at 10psi)

Running stock boost, only modifications I've made so far are an Apexi Power Intake and Splitfire Coils. Starting out small but enjoying myself! Still planning to upgrade to a catback as part of my stage 1 noob mods.

if you're going to spend HKS money, you could also consider a turbosmart adjustable unit, which are much better quality units with better tension points and come with a set of different sized springs to set the psi, rather than a screw/spring tightener system that the hks and garrett units have

the point of upgrading the actuators on a stock turbo is only if you are running increased boost pressure, it is beneficial to have an adjustable wastegate actuator to be able to deal with the increased exhaust back pressure. this allows you to hold peak boost for a longer period, where the stock actuators which can't maintain the increased boost pressure will taper off at peak boost

upon googling, i found this good tuning guide for a stage 1 upgrade

http://nissanskyline.6te.net/tuning_GTT.htm

all the best

I wouldn't do that on the stock ECU, R34 GT-t have a pretty premature TP Load cut.[/quote

Rule this out then? I'm not even going to entertain the thought of the next stage of mods I.e ecu, injectors, tunes etc.

Just wanted to see if there was a viable way to increase by boost by 2psi

you can source a used R32 actuator from anywhere that sells used parts very cheap. ebay, facebook, gumtree. just keep searching.

It's easy to change over, 1 hour max if you dont know what you are doing.

^^^ What Johnny said. There is no 'quick fix' way to magic up power reliably, start with some planning so you can do it once, do it right.

Well there is. If you follow my suggestion you will get the extra couple of psi OP is looking for without spending a cent.

Well there is. If you follow my suggestion you will get the extra couple of psi OP is looking for without spending a cent.

Fair enough. Will it run ok and with safe AFR with no tune?

I cant see why it wouldn't. its just a simple bleed off which is exactly what a manual boost T controller does.

surprised I haven't seen this method posted before.

I did it to my car when it had an RB25DET and it gave it a little more zip with no adverse affects. A mate at work did it to his Stagea and gained a little. Not the same as a massive turbo but it doesn't cost anything.

I did it to my car when it had an RB25DET and it gave it a little more zip with no adverse affects. A mate at work did it to his Stagea and gained a little. Not the same as a massive turbo but it doesn't cost anything.

Are you forgetting that the stock boost of the R34 is 7 PSI. This is just bypassing the 2 stage boost solenoid to run the full 7 PSI from 3000 RPM. He will have the same boost even after doing this mod......unless he drills out the restrictor hole.

Edited by duffmansbrew

only issue with SK's method or a MBC is he will need an aftermarket boost gauge to see how high the boost is.

drop in a known working R32 actuator and eliminate all stock controls and you have a reliable 10-11 psi.

whats the point of raising boost a few psi on stock turbo, last time i drove with stock turbo i wanted to burn the car, big 10kw's is a waste of time, just follow the normal route which is exhaust, boost controller, intercooler, turbo, computer blah blah

raising boost on a stock exhaust is gay. .. sorry

Edited by AngryRB