SAU Community

Why you wouldn't get a skyline!

Gday,

I am a heart broken man.

Insurance quote from the only aussie company that would insure me is a touch over $5000! :)

The premium, depending on the actual damage is $2000-3000 MINIMUM. :bs!:

That's only for insuring for $20,000.

So much for insurance for these things.. where can I get me a quik trac and who will install me one without a factory alarm system fitted?

Anyone had any experience with these systems?-

Black widow tracking, loctronics, ming car watch and carwatch?

THAT MAKES ME ANNNGRRRYY!!

*sob*

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call QUIK TRAK. And find out, I think mine was around $2K for install, and monitoring is 1 dollar a day. QUIK TRAK also comes with its own alarm, and central locking kits. So it doesnt need factory anything...... Good luck

Call QUIK TRAK.  And find out, I think mine was around $2K for install, and monitoring is 1 dollar a day.  QUIK TRAK also comes with its own alarm, and central locking kits.  So it doesnt need factory anything...... Good luck

Sweet thanks for that - but on the quik trak website it doesn't have any mention of calling them to install it? Do they even deal with the public?

I saw on the NRMA website

"CarWatch 1300 364 446 CarWatch $1896.50 (including 1 year monitoring"

I thought carwatch was a quiktrak based product?

Now I'm confused but boy I'm angry about this insurance crap - this may be a better choice.

NFI about the carwatch dude, i just called them direct and booked in an install. They came to me (my mechanics workshop) put him in a spare stall and let him work his magic.

Ive got quik trak installed and they a pretty responsive. I dont have comprehensive insurance although i would like it, I have 3rd party property so If i hit you then at least your covered, and ill just have to cut my losses and run, till next march when I can get cheaper insurance for it....

You really need to think about it though, I only drive my car 3/4 times a month, if its a daily driver then I rekon you would be nuts not to have full comp (read theft/accident/weather damage)

Good luck.

sorry to hear.. but one of the realities unless you're over 25..

to be honest, make sure you at least go 3rd party..

if you do crash into somebody, the person who is going to be winning and making you pay it off for however long it takes (could be a while on say a BMW) will be the person with a) the insurance or B) the money.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? and what is your driving history like?

I'm 20 with a clean driving record, but no previous insurance, and it only cost me $2600/year through just cars

OMG! Tell me you are insured in someone elses name (parents/friend), is it modded if so how hard? Just cars laughed at me and said $5k so they rekoned if I went 3rd party with them for awhile and kept it clean then they would prolly insure me in a few years (this is goin back 18months now). My record is spotless and im 23.

OMG Sprinter!!

I have no idea what ... or who you did but GODDAMN that's some lucky stuff man good on ya!

Put it this way.

I've had my license suspended twice. I'm 21. They wanted $5.2k as I said.

I ticked about 60% of the boxes in the modifications option.

I asked what if I had a 4 door with NO mods they said $4.7 with $2.2 excess.

Now you're going to say that the premium and excess is because I'm a hoon, should be arrested - well let me tell you not everything is blank n white - especially when you piss off the wrong people.

... anyways that aside.

My flatmate (ie the quotes were for the same address) has a SPOTLESS, and I mean spotless driving record, not even a parking ticket and no mods.

$4800 and $2100. I mean WHAT THE... :throwup:

I'm sorry but my theory is the insurance companies are in bed with the car manufacturers and it's basicallly - don't get an import and go #$)( yourself.

2rismo - I will definately call them tomorz. I'm not sure about this underwriting in UK business. I mean.. not subject to APRA/IEC/ASIC is pretty *hmmm*.

I work in the finance industry at a AFS (australian financial services) licensee and everyone has told me they wouldn't touch them.

Then on the other hand - beggars can't be choosers ay and I have seen here have claims from them. All I'm interested in is theft and people with no insurance crashing into me (their fault), I'm a responsible driver now and have no reason to believe I will need to claim (if at all) for any other reasons.

As everyone I know says - insurers don't care if you're good or what... it's all about actuarials.

:bs!:

Famous wil be my last hope :P

Mate, just remember not to call them at 9am EST. They wont be there yet :P

Make sure you ask for Robyn as she's very used to dealing with Skyline owners and SAU club members. They pay their claims. I wouldn't worry.

Adrian

rofl nah I dont live in Redfern, I live in glenwood its right next to kellyville and quakers hill... Im thinking some investigation is in order...

Its the sad reality of living in NSW, you pay the highest insurance premiums in the country. Dont even try to compare values between states,

Mate, just remember not to call them at 9am EST.  They wont be there yet :P

Make sure you ask for Robyn as she's very used to dealing with Skyline owners and SAU club members.  They pay their claims.  I wouldn't worry.

Adrian

Sorry 2rismo it's just that their disclaimer warning is quite... well I know it's legally required but it's scary enough to put anyone off.

I know there is a sticky about this and a number of people have got their claims paid so I guess that's the best I can do.

What are the benefits of being a SAU member? I was going to join WHEN I got my car, not before but if it's going to get me cheaper insurance I will join 2weeks earlier so I can have my number. (And YES I was going to join anyways heh).

Cheers 2rismo.

:P

I don't know if I'm going able to sleep tonight. If I can get reasonable insurance I will get a skyline, if I can't ... I'm 'fraid it's a deal breaker/ship sinker. :(

:headspin: