SAU Community

Why you wouldn't get a skyline!

Hmmm.

Don't really understand how they can ever justify the prices. I saw quotes differ by upto $3000 from the same company in a 2 week period.

Quite happy with my comprehensive for my modded r34 at $2400 for a 23 year old.

And I would recommend speaking to Robyn too, she couldn't quote me cheaper but was very helpful and very honest.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems as if Famous' prices are rock solid but they don't bullsh1t you. They tend to give you a competitive price, some good advice and then let you make up your own mind.

I am renewing with them this week.

Adrian

I am 23 on P plates and had been driving for 10 months with one minor speeding fine and have my skyline insured for 21k for about $1600 a year full comp. The price didnt even change after I told them i was waiting to go to court for a DUI, they said it would only effect me next year in the tune of $300+ on the prem.

I am 23 on P plates and had been driving for 10 months with one minor speeding fine and have my skyline insured for 21k for about $1600 a year full comp. The price didnt even change after I told them i was waiting to go to court for a DUI, they said it would only effect me next year in the tune of $300+ on the prem.

That's lucky.

I just called Robyn at Famous - They won't insure people who've lost their license twice (maybe she said once I don't know but definately not me).

She told me to call Unique Cars. They also laughed at me they won't insure anyone who's lost their license once.

On the bright side she said there may be a tiny chance I can get insured in 2 years...

:throwup:

I've learnt - why won't they believe me ? I mean.. how many people who are me have lost their license go off to write off a car. (edit - don't answer that I just realised probably a lot)

I only want insurance incase some nutcase without rego writes my car off or it gets stolen and I'm willing to install a quik trak..

FFS!!!! :(

Oh .. I should probably say that's probably the final straw in putting the nail in the coffin of my skyline.

I'm too scared it will get stolen - if I was buying it without a crazy big loan it may not have been such a big issue but I ain't paying X amount of years of my life to pay for something after it's been stolen/crashed into/written off/burnt/alien abducted whatever...

WAY TO GO WORLD ... just jaded me .. from now on I'm going to kick old ladies, steal from donation plates and kick people while they're down!!

... wait that gives me an idea.. maybe i should become an insurance company?

:)

someonestolecc, it's generally not because you've got an import, it's more to do with age and location and type of car. If a company actually insures an import, they're not that much more expensive... however they have statistics of age related accidents, etc, along with demographics of car models most likely to be stolen and areas of high theft.

I've lost my licence in the last year and I own a turbo import, but I'm also over 25 (which is the big one) and I live in a regional area (Central Qld), so I pay $770 a year, $1600 excess. I'm amazed I got such a good premium, especially after losing the licence... but it generally comes down to age and location. Good luck with the search. Give Suncorp a go, I believe they'll cover people in NSW.

That's generally the best option for under-25's looking for comp insurance... although I don't know if you still have to live with your parents or not?

Does anyone know about this?

I've just looked at http://www.quiktrak.com.au and they are apperantly in administration!

WHAT THE ?!?!

Sparki_D - have you heard anything from them as a customer?

Ive heard a rumour, nothing more... My mechanic's R8 has QUIK TRAK and he told me he got something in the mail, apparently its not quite disaterous yet.... But I've heard nothing. Will do some research and get back to you.

Ive heard a rumour, nothing more...  My mechanic's R8 has QUIK TRAK and he told me he got something in the mail, apparently its not quite disaterous yet....  But I've heard nothing.  Will do some research and get back to you.

Thanks Sparki that would be of interest lemme know if you could mate!

someonestolecc:before my car arrived i got a quote from just cars at 6900, then a few months later when it was registered it was around 3300. and that was for a 20yr old male with no insurance record.

Damn a-b that's a hoooooge difference. I mean JustCars said a bit over $5k. I mean I'm happy with a big excess but smaller premium I mean bah!! 3k might MIGHT be swingable but hm I mean..

The funny thing is I got a quote from NRMA today - cos I do have a V8 but it's not a senator (no offense I wouldn't buy any holden v8.. or fords for that matter that are after 1975).

1969 Ford Falcon GT replica 351c :P

• 2 weeks later...

Im 21, 22 next week wohooo!!! got a r32 gtst, only mods -lowered -wheels(for now hehe),

i rang just cars and got quoted $2800 full and/or $650 3rd party...

With FAMOUS they quoted me $2200 for full which i think is excellent seeing that im under 25, male, driving sports turbo car...

I think the fact that you've lost your licence twice, makes them think twice about giving you a cheaper quote....

i'm waiting on my quote for a GTS-T skyline r 33 i'm 16 and not going it till 17 so i put in details for 17 i only getting 3rd party P but i still think it is going to b over a $1000 it was $535 for a non turbo Sr20 silvia when i nearly got one of them dam insurance

hey just a quick post to all this im a 21 yr old with a r33

modded with the usualls

insurance is 1200

wit 800 excess

thats with some farmers insurance we have they dont even know what me car is so i guess whilst its cheap ill keep havin it :(

only thing is my 18s arent allowed so i have to remove them if i ever bend my car :rofl: and put my 16's on