SAU Community

R32 Skyline GTS-T vs SR20DET S13 Silvia/180SX

I'm tossing up between these 2 models.

Both are 2.0L Turbo and RWD.

What are the pros/cons of each model?

The SR20DET has been around for ages. Does this mean there are more/better parts for it compared to the old RB20DET?

Which is the easier car to work with in terms of mods?

silvia is a sport car, skyline is a GT.

Silvia will be faster and cheaper to mod, but R32 offer u more room & build/ride quality.

i will go for skyline

I used to own a 180sx 2ltr turbo and i now own a r32 gtst, the 180sx is as stated above a quicker (as standard) than the 32, and it is easier/cheaper to mod them but they do not have the /build quility/features/space as the 32.

drive both and get the one you prefer!

They are both really good cars.

The decision might come down to which one you can find thats in good condition and the right price.

Sr20det Silvia - rare find (esp in manual), great as a sleeper

sr20det 180sx - getting quite common, but more of a hero in public opinion due to there not being any non-turbo models.

rb20det r32 - interior cabin slightly larger, usually more respected due to being a 6cyl, requires about 3.5k on performance mods to get the same feeling the s13 gives you.

But if that same 3.5k was put into the s13.. watch out :P

Whilst the SR20DET might respond a little quicker to mods, and be easier to find. In my opinion, you cannot beat the sound of a roaring RB on the limiter and the much nicer interior the GTS-T has to offer. I suggest you take both of them for a drive...

Both are very good cars, it'll be a hard decision! Good luck! :headspin:

Sorry to semi-highjack the topic, but I am in a very similar boat as Wink, looking at buying one of these two cars. You guys seem to be suggesting that taking both out for a test drive would be a good idea, but I don't really like the idea of wasting a private sellers time just testing their car when I'm probably not going to buy.

Does anyone know of a dealership which is likely to have these two models available for testing (in the Melbourne area)?

Cheers

I say a series 1 S14 is better than both.

for a good condition R32 you would be looking at about $15K - $17K

That price would get you an equally good S14. which I think looks better than a S13 in silvia or 180sx form and the interior is better than a skyline..

back seat in any of the cars mentioned are pretty useless.

GTST: S14s are really slow and boring without bucketloads of mods as well, kind of like the r33 gtst is.

JimX: Who prefers 6cyls? The australian general public of course!

gts89: I guess if its about how leet your car sounds as your bouncing off the rev limiter with your wastegate blaring, along with how good it looks then sure. The r32s interior might be nicer and sound a lot more powerful but the guy in the s13 overtaking it is probably having way more fun :)

But they are all nissans so whichever one you choose you can't go wrong.

Assuming that that's true, I fail to see how Mr Average Australian would even know that a Skyline had a 6cyl rather than a 4, let alone have an opinion about it one way or the other. On the most part, the average person is going just say "pfft, jap import sports car, it's rubbish, why don't they get a sensible Corolla/Laser/Camry/Magna/Commodore/Falcon?"

To sum up, I don't think that choosing your number of cylinders based on public opinion is a good idea, and neither do I think your car is going to be more respected just because it has 6 cylinders, because most people won't know it's a 6cyl anyway (or even care). For the enthusiasts (ie the ones that know), opinion is going to be divided.

If you want to mod, an S13 would be cheaper way to go, if not from the point of having an abundance of parts, then also the fact that injectors, cams, manifolds are more expensive for a 6 cyl than a 4 cyl.

If you want a car that can handle like a go cart with minimal mods, and is more nimble, go for the S13 - they are lighter and just a good set of coilovers, they handle like a go cart.

SR20 has better torque, due to its rod ratio, ie having a longer stroke. This also means it wont like to rev as much as the RB engine (quite safe to take them to 8krpm with a good tune) - also the SR has a rocker type setup, which can be a weak point with larger power.

Skyline has much better brakes also, replacement engines if you need them are quite cheap, around 1k. There really are pros and cons for both.

I think you need to ask what you want the car for. IMHO a skyline is more a circuit car - more suited to cruising than an S13, where as an S13 is more a drift type car - more nimble and easier to throw around. Bottom line though really depends on what mods have been done.

Good luck, both are great cars, and I am sure you will enjoy either:)

And just for the record, I love the sound of an RB engine on full song, just as much as an SR - both sound very tough with a good exhaust, and even better with a manifold.

GTST: S14s are really slow and boring without bucketloads of mods as well, kind of like the r33 gtst is.

gts89: I guess if its about how leet your car sounds as your bouncing off the rev limiter with your wastegate blaring, along with how good it looks then sure. The r32s interior might be nicer and sound a lot more powerful but the guy in the s13 overtaking it is probably having way more fun ;)

But they are all nissans so whichever one you choose you can't go wrong.

Hey TORETTO, not everyone races, some people drift?

Hey,

I own a r33 gts-t with exhuast,airfilter,bov

I race my mates stock 180sx (only mod was bov), i was running without my ebc and running 0.4bar, we were equal untill the top or 2nd gear and i was starting to pull away by shifting into 3rd i was gone (this was with the 180 not launching it hard and me getting alot of wheels spin at the start)

point: stock s13/180sx r fast for a stock car compair to a skyline