SAU Community

pulled over by the 5-O, now no more boost control mod!!!

Hey Skliner's, been a while, but I suppose that thanks to this 'Forum' my car has been running incredibly well and reliable over the past few months that I've had the car.

Anyways, yesterday I got pulled over by the 5-O at the cnr of Bwd Hwy and Stud Rd. Wasn't doing anything silly, the guys just wanted a 'look' at the car and under the bonnet. Luckily I found out some time ago that a BOV with even a 'partial' escape of air to atmo was illegal. That's why I don't have one anymore. But the very 'switched on' Policemen instantly sited my blue anodised GFB Boost control and immediately chuckled and told me that this was an 'EPA illegal mod', and that if I took it off immediately there would be no further issue. And they told me that they've seen my car driving around and they'll pull me over just to check that I've done the right thing. (That's nice!!) They liked the car and wouldn't stop talking about my mags and the absolute 'cleanliness' of the engine bay.(ace blokes!!)

ANYWAYS...took the boost control off the car, test drove it........sh1thouse, comparitively speaking. (12 to 7-8psi) makes such a difference!!!.

I was so dissapointed, but I thought I would make some sort of 'concession' by doing the 'black-wire mod' to my boost solenoid. (black wire from solenoid permenantly attached to the car body, white + wire left alone)....this makes the solenoid activate all the time and has made things alot better and more liveable, for now.

ANYWAYS AGAIN!!!.....I didn't know that an aftermarket GFB bleeder type boost control was illegal, (did the guy at Autobarn?) When it was explained to me, (bleeders bleed 'emissions'!!), it all made sense, I guess.

The MORAL here?.........Christ, there's too many of them!

QUESTION............What sorts of things specifically can we do and still be considered LEGAL and what things are ILLEGAL on our turbo cars?

Anyways Skliner's.....have a good ride, and the cops aren't always 'unreasonable', if you just accept what it is they have to say!!

I have also added another 'reply' to this further down regarding my improved 'fuel economy'

SuperSpitMark

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to tell you this, but boost controlers are a defect, but you wouldnt get sent to EPA for it, why dont you just get it hidden in the engine bay somewhere, i had a cop once look at my turbo and think it was standard, ( t78) ahahahahahahah

lol such a lost cause

every 2nd car these days has some kind of defect

yet we get pulled over for modification defects, while a 82' laser goes past with scored disks and no pads, 10min later crashes and kills someone.. and somehow we are the ones braking the law :bs!:

at the time were you backin' up the hoez.. checkin yo' 6 when the fuzz busted your ass ?? :(

back in the day, when i used to live out that way.. it was very much a turbo safe haven.. was only when you went to the city you took the risk there. Looks like they're getting a little smarter out east.

Well on a AVCR solenoid there is a NC hole and you can either connect that back into the intake OEM style or vent it under the bonnet (what everyone does). I have never ever seen one hooked up the "proper" way so for that alone they would be illegal in the same way a bleeder would be.

Anywhere Knox is a no go area...

EDIT: Crap removed... pointless to argue

at the time were you backin' up the hoez.. checkin yo' 6 when the fuzz busted your ass ?? :(

back in the day, when i used to live out that way.. it was very much a turbo safe haven.. was only when you went to the city you took the risk there. Looks like they're getting a little smarter out east.

Hey P,

they was parked on the opposite side of Stud Rd (front of the TAFE), they took off like a rocket...U-turned and were on my 6 in next to no time at the intersection.

It's just that they made such an effort to 'catch me' (i'm doing 55 kmh by the way).

Hoez(?) .......sh1t yeah!

Well on a AVCR solenoid there is a NC hole and you can either connect that back into the intake OEM style or vent it under the bonnet (what everyone does). I have never ever seen one hooked up the "proper" way so for that alone they would be illegal in the same way a bleeder would be.

Anywhere Knox is a no go area...

EDIT: Crap removed... pointless to argue

what and who was your edited arguement about? This is "the" forum, so let it hang out my overly petrol consuming friend!!

if you dont want your mods to stand out paint em black hide em do what ever.

my mates 200 gets pumped my cops all the time so now he's painted his bleed valve, FMIC piping and CAI ducting black and mounted his BOV behind the front bar looks standard most people wouldnt know the difference.

Some one once told me that Bleeders are illegal but EBC's are not? Can anyone confirm this?

i cant confirm it, but when i got a rwc for qld rego the guy said ebc's are ok.

-rb25

All you need to do is get a HKS wastgate actuator kit for your stock turbo Its fully adjustable doesnt leak to atmosphere (obviously) and they should not be able to defect you.

I had one on my rb20 turbo boostedup to 14psi and after doing a swap to a r33 turbo have put it on that turbo and it fits perfectly.

They only sell for just over $200 bucks

It also brough boost on a little bit earlier and helped keep it longer

Just a suggestion

if you dont want your mods to stand out paint em black hide em do what ever.

my mates 200 gets pumped my cops all the time so now he's painted his bleed valve, FMIC piping and CAI ducting black and mounted his BOV behind the front bar looks standard most people wouldnt know the difference.

Ditto, I painted my BOV black, the boost controller T piece black and placed the boost controller itself in the air partition box.

You can obviously still see them but they don't stand out like dogs balls now.

what and who was your edited arguement about? This is "the" forum, so let it hang out my overly petrol consuming friend!!

Nah it is cool... it was just in relation to knore's post about killer Lasers...

Guest Robo's

Ive just bought a HKS actuator and after a bit of playing around ive got 12psi on a stock r33 turbo using no bleed valve.

Dude,

That is a bummer.

You have taken the right tact with the high boost situation I have done this and I am happy a big improvement to a stock situation.

1 point and mate, I am not being critical, just don't want to mislead any of our fellow skyliners who may wish to go down the same road as us.

When you said cut the black wire and permantly ground and leave the white wire untouched, I think you might have this around the wrong way!

Go to this thread,

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...=boost+solenoid

this is the one I followed. I have a 94 R33 GTS-T and this appears to be the right way.

If I am wrong I apologize profusely, but I didn't want to give anyone the hassle of re-wiring!!

Again didn't want to sound critical mate!

Cheers,

J-Flash :(

Dude,

That is a bummer.

You have taken the right tact with the high boost situation I have done this and I am happy a big improvement to a stock situation.

1 point and mate, I am not being critical, just don't want to mislead any of our fellow skyliners who may wish to go down the same road as us.

When you said cut the black wire and permantly ground and leave the white wire untouched, I think you might have this around the wrong way!

Go to this thread,

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...=boost+solenoid

this is the one I followed. I have a 94 R33 GTS-T and this appears to be the right way.

If I am wrong I apologize profusely, but I didn't want to give anyone the hassle of re-wiring!!

Again didn't want to sound critical mate!

Cheers,

J-Flash :(

Hey J,

yeah, I saw that article on 're-wired solenoid boost', so I got my multimeter out just to be sure and checked the output current/voltage and 'switch on threshhold' of the black and white wires....and guess what I found........It seemes that the article was wrong.(?)

If u cut the white (positive) wire, and attach that to earth, you will not have a complete circuit, nothing will work.....but you could potentially have a new 'heater'! (if you earth the white wire while it is still connected).

That is why I have cut the black wire on the solenoid side and simply attached that to earth, and safely taped up the the other side of the black wire (socket side). When the solenoid finally dies from over use, I will just get a U-Shaped connector and place that where the solenoid pipes use to go. This is actually how my Skline is operating at the Mo.

Seems like a few other's Sklines are running the same too!!!!!!!!!!

Adjustable Wastegate Actuator sounds like an ace idea ($200...is that all?).........

Anyways.....thanx Skliner's. (and thankyou J-Flash!)SSMark :)

My bleed valve is piped into the intercooler pipe.  Is that legal?

That's THE $75.00 question G-Toy.

I suppose it is the 'escape of air' that erks the authorities.

I've heard that u can purchase BC's that have a third connector that vents the 'air' back into the system. That must be legal!!! ....(on the above basis)?

Maybe 5-O just doesn't like any mods at all.

while we are here.....are air-pods illegal? anybody?

I could tell they (the police) didn't like my big TRUST one too much, its just that they didn't say anything. (it was more of a 'ponder' over it. you had to be there!)

anyways............SS Mark